PEANUT BUTTER

Options
I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER! :love: But this morning when I went to measure out 2 tablespoons of it, I was a complete mess by the time I got it measured. The (rather) large jar was about 2/3 empty so I had to put my entire hand (along with my measuring spoon) way down inside the jar.

As a result, the entire back of my hand (which scraped the sides of the jar on the way in and on the way out) had peanut butter on it. Then, I had to use my index finger (from my other hand) to get the peanut butter off & out of the measuring spoon and into a small container in order to take it to work with me (to eat with 1/2 an apple for a snack :smile: ). So I had peanut Butter all over me and it's just so messy! {{{Says the one who washes her hands about a million times a day....}}}

Does anyone else have a hard/messy time measuring peanut butter? How do you measure your peanut butter?

(All suggestions are welcome. Yes, even the ones that tell me to quit whining!! :wink: )

Make it a fantastic day!!

Replies

• stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Hahaha - I'd just have licked my hand!

(Use a knife to get it out of the jar??)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    You should be weighing it instead of measuring anyway. So just put the jar on the scale, zero it out, scoop out what you want using whatever is easiest to get it out with, and weigh the jar again. The negative difference is what you took out (and bonus, it counts what ending up on your hands).
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I vote for using a knife, for getting it out of the jar and into the measuring spoon, and then again for getting it from the spoon to the container. Not totally foolproof, but probably mostly less messy.
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I scoop it out with my corn dog and then .. well, all he77 breaks loose.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Use a long handled spatula to get it out and transfer to a measuring spoon. I adore peanut butter and that's one thing I will never give up.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    You should be weighing it instead of measuring anyway. So just put the jar on the scale, zero it out, scoop out what you want using whatever is easiest to get it out with, and weigh the jar again. The negative difference is what you took out (and bonus, it counts what ending up on your hands).

This way for sure.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have latte spoons (long handles) which get into the bottom of jars nicely.

I'd weigh the jar, take out whatever I'm using and then weigh the jar again to see how much I've used.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options

+1

Use knife to scoop out, Spread in the measuring utensil, use knife to get back out..
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I buy the Jif to Go containers of peanut butter. It's less messy and very easy to travel with. I go through 1 in about 2-3 days. I believe it has 2 tablespoons per container. I just toss the unused portions in a ziplock bag until I'm ready for it again.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I also weigh it, but backwards from the previous suggestion. I usually either have it on toast or on an apple, so put the toast (or apple) on the scale, tare it out, and add peanut butter until it gets to 16 grams (1 tablespoon).
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

OR... you could just use the empty container you take the PB to work in, put it on the scale and zero it out, then measure/weigh the PB into that without having to worry about doing math lol.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I am SO with you on the licking my hand. LOL

I weigh my peanut butter, and don't measure it. Problem kinda solved. . . can still get messy when I get towards the bottom!
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Um... use a knife. Then scrape it on the tablespoon. Duh.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use a quick spray of Pam on the spoon before I scoop it. Comes right out. Then you can weigh it. Use a long handled spoon for the bottom of the jar.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Get a rubber spatula! As you use the peanut butter, scrape the extra off the sides of the jar, that way the sides are clean when you need to stick your hand in. Also, the spatula can be handy for scooping the PB out of whatever you are using to measure with.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    (All suggestions are welcome. Yes, even the ones that tell me to quit whining!! :wink: )

Dogs will lick peanut butter off of anything.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I use a long handled wooden spoon when I get to that point.

But if anyone can help me figure out how to tackle Nutella past the halfway point, hit me up. Those bottles are demons. (The big 1lb ones, not the baby ones)
  • __hannah_
    __hannah_ Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I use a knife to get the peanut butter out of the jar. I weigh my peanut butter by putting whatever food or container on my scale first, zeroing it, then adding the peanut butter. Before I got a food scale I just leveled off the measuring spoon with a knife and did not stick the measuring spoon into the jar. I can see how that would be very messy. haha. I love peanut butter too, good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?

this are real first world problems- stop making fun.