Why did I try lifting...

Options
At the suggestion of people on MFP, and also because I was feeling gross and flabby, I decided to try lifting. I had done about 20 minutes of mild cardio, and thought I'd be warmed up for something.

I had no idea what to do. There were 8 pound dumbbells in my dorm gym, and so I tried lifting those. They were so heavy...my arms ached. I didn't even know what exercises to do. There's a poster hanging in the gym with some exercises on it--shoulder presses, arm rows, squats, lateral raises and lunges. I did a few reps of those. My knees were cracking when I tried to squat (I have rather weak joints for a 19 year old), and I could barely lift my arms for the lateral raises. On the whole, I only did a few reps of each of those exercises before I gave up.

Should I keep trying to lift or should I just let it go and focus on cardio? I think I'm too weak to lift, honestly.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Because its' good for you- and it's really important to try new things- outside your comfort zone.

So- this is really why we suggest doing a program and doing some research in advance- it's really hard to go lift if you have no clue on what you're doing or where to go.

I highly suggest looking into Starting Strength, strong lifts and new rules of lifting.

If you don't know what to do- of course it's going to feel like an effort in fuitility- but if you have a plan and some knowledge you can go tackle the thing.

So- for squats- it takes some time to warm up to them- I don't get warmed up till I get well into my working sets- and I DO a warm up- then light weight- then a full hip opening stretch routine- and then more lighter weight working sets- my best squats come half way through the session.

it takes MUCH longer to warm up to the exercise- add on top you are unfamilar and haven't done it in a while if not ever- of course it's going to feel hard.

Don't give up- it is great that you tried!!! But take that as a sign for more education and press on!!! You can do it!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You're too weak to lift? LOLWUT?!?

"I'm too poor to make money!"

"I'm too fat to lose weight!"

I'm too uneducated to go to college!"

See how ridiculous those statements sound? So you are weak. So what. That's WHY YOU LIFT. To get, ya know...NOT weak.

Don't stop. It's supposed to be hard. As soon as those 8lbers get easy, move up to 10lbs. That's how you progress. Powerlifters weren't born being able to bench 200lbs. They worked at it. You'll have to, too.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel it's worth it. It's not going to make any difference. I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter, I just want to look less gross in my clothes.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    It's worth it.
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Going to be very well worth it. I am lifting with arthritis in my shoulders and hips and knees. I am lifting and getting stronger al of the time. Trust me it is more then worth it.
  • skinnywalletfarm
    Options
    Okay, I never reply to these forum things but I have too reply to this one. Lift the weights. Give it two weeks. You will love the results!!!!!!!
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

See how ridiculous those statements sound? So you are weak. So what. That's WHY YOU LIFT. To get, ya know...NOT weak.

Don't stop. It's supposed to be hard. As soon as those 8lbers get easy, move up to 10lbs. That's how you progress. Powerlifters weren't born being able to bench 200lbs. They worked at it. You'll have to, too.

^^^^ This - Get to work and make a difference
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    It's definitely worth the while.

When I first started I was weaker than you. I could barely pick up the 5 pound dumbbells. It was sad, and I felt like giving up. Then I started following a program, making progress and became addicted.

Being strong is awesome. Regular life is just easier. You'll never be out of breath carrying groceries again.

PS: after starting worse off than you, I can now do things I was never able to do before, like lift heavy things over my head.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Keep going! You'll get stronger and one day you'll see that buff body in the mirror. It's totally worth it. I promise!

(not that I have a buff body but I'm working on it. I do have way more muscle definition than I did and I'm super proud of that)
  • katiesinkus
    katiesinkus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a "strength training" dvd, like 30 Day Shred, or even some kind of body weight movement, then work your way up to free weights at the gym. You can find some pretty good videos on Youtube, and they are much easier to handle when you are first starting out. You can do just general body weight exercises, like push ups, sit ups, lunges, wall sits, etc.

The gym is a little intimidating - I've been lifting on and off with dvds, with Women's Health Mag diagrams, with apps, I've bought my own dumbells and kettlebells, etc but I still am overwhelmed by the weights at the gym. You made a great first step! It just happened to be a little more than you could chew right as this moment. Take baby steps!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel it's worth it. It's not going to make any difference. I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter, I just want to look less gross in my clothes.

You're 19 years old. Do you want to continue to be weak for the rest of your life? What happens when you have kids and you can't pick them up past the age of 2? Or just want to carry a butt load of groceries into the house, or open a jar of pickles, move some furniture? How about when you 70, do you want to be afraid to leave the house for fear of a broken hip? Having enough strength to lead a good healthy life is important. You don't have to be a powerlifter. It's not about looking good. It's about health and being able to function in life.

One set of 8lbs dumbbells isn't going to do much good because as you saw you won't be able to use the same weight for each move. I use much lighter weights for lateral raises than I do for dumbbell rows. Besides the 8lb dumbells in your gym what other resources do you have? Can you take a weight lifting class at school? Is there a gym? Can you afford a personal trainer that can show you some lifts? If you are that weak, maybe see if your insurance (assuming you have some) might cover a physical therapist to show you exercises. Do you have any friends who lift and can help you out? You could also look into the "You are your own gym" program.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

^^^^ so much this. Also, it will make you feel like a badass and look awesome.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Totally worth it. You don't need to lift a lot of weight to get more toned. Do some research as far as technique goes - you really don't want to accidentally hurt yourself. I personally cannot do squats thanks to an angry knee (even at 27) so don't totally ignore your body's protests. The best thing to do is to get with someone who has been doing this for a while and they can SHOW you what you need to do. If you're still really hesitant, I would recommend weight machines instead of free weights. You'll still need to do some general homework (not all machines are created equal and some are a flat out waste of time) but it's better than nothing.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it for so many reasons. You will see results so much faster from lifting. I don't have the patience to wait forever to see results purely from cardio. Also, feeling stronger is such a rush!
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Then LIFT!! Strength training helps to change your body's composition. If you want to look better - lifting is the way to go.

This is a little of an 'extreme' but she started on the base level. You can see her progression here: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

For the different levels - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1120789-females-only-lifting-weight-training-results

and

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?page=1

I love lifting because

1) It helps to keep other medical issues at bay
    2) I feel stronger
    3) I feel more confident
    4) I can now fill out a wiggle dress like nobody's business. :wink:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

With that attitude, you are absolutely right. It won't make a difference. But if you stop the whining and just go do it, consistently, and at least three times a week, you will see huge results. They say 'lift to look good naked', and it is the absolute truth. Go check my profile pics and see for yourself.

It won't happen overnight, or even in a couple weeks. But if you stick with it for several months, I can promise you you'll see results that will thrill you. Grit your teeth and go do it, and you'll probably even get to the point where you love it, and look forward to each lifting session. Good luck. I believe that you can do it, even if you don't. Go on my faith in you, until you develop enough of your own. :flowerforyou:
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

You're absolutely right. It's not going to make a difference. Not one ounce of a difference.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options

This can't be real...I smell a troll.
  • TheRealNoodlette
    TheRealNoodlette Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I also notice that lifting helps my weight loss go faster. AND you want to lose fat, not muscle, and lifting helps with that too. you'll look badass in your clothes with more muscle definition. Most gyms have personal trainers on staff who are there to help newbies with a lifting routine -- for free. Either that or they will offer a free intro class. It'll be pretty simple in the beginning to get you used to the weights.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    It will hurt,it will keep hurting but it is that good for you.

5 years ago when i started lifting,i couldn't do a single push up,I felt so embarrassed in a lifting class.Now I can do many many pushups and of course it still does hurt.As you start using your muscles they start getting stronger and start supporting your bones and joints.

If you dont lift from now,by the time you are 30 or 40 or 50 your bones/back/joints etc will completely bail out and you could be pretty much sitting in a wheel chair.I see 90 year old people lifting weights in the gym every day to keep themselves active and to keep them from getting bed ridden,if a 90 year old can do it you can do it as well.Trust me I've seen folks who hated it when they started,over time you will start enjoying only weights and throw cardio out the door.Start with smaller weights 3 lbs or so,Jillian micheals no more trouble zones video is a good beginner circuit training workout(it is free on youtube),start doing it atleast twice a week,then increase it as you please,as you get accustomed you can increase your weights.you don't need to be a power lifter to get the benefits of lifting.No pain no gain remember!!You will get stronger will lifting.

watch this for a little oomph
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=806236219419138&fref=nf