Why did I try lifting...

Options

Replies

• mckat08
    mckat08 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel it's worth it. It's not going to make any difference. I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter, I just want to look less gross in my clothes.

Sounds like you have already made up your mind. Just so you know, it IS worth it and it DOES make a difference. Take the time to research. Personally, I suggest looking into "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". I wish you all the best.
  • limitles
    limitles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You could try a program that's based on body weight movements.
    There are a few programs out that don't involve lifting weights but
    you increase the intensity and progress on your body weight
    exercises which will help you to gain strength and change your shape.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1428309-what-can-calisthenics-do-for-you-let-me-show-you
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I think I'm too weak to lift, honestly.

-_- You lift weights to gain strength.

Attitude makes all the difference, either you can or you can't, but if you can't you definitely wont.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Not too weak at all...

Do some internet research.
    Look up how to do things properly and then just go with it.
    Or take a class or get a trainer to help you with basics and then cut loose. Also remember to fuel your body!

It's very worth it.:drinker:

Couple of my favorite sites offhand.
    http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/
    www.niashanks.com

<
    Tiny Guns for proof.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    The weights are too heavy for you. 8 lbs is HUGE for a woman who's never lifted before. Try 2, 3, or 5 lb weights for arms and shoulders to start.

Being strong is great :) Stick with it.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to believe some of you can't pick up 5lbs or 8lbs. Do you not carry in groceries? What about a gallon of milk?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    At the suggestion of people on MFP, and also because I was feeling gross and flabby, I decided to try lifting. I had done about 20 minutes of mild cardio, and thought I'd be warmed up for something.

I had no idea what to do. There were 8 pound dumbbells in my dorm gym, and so I tried lifting those. They were so heavy...my arms ached. I didn't even know what exercises to do. There's a poster hanging in the gym with some exercises on it--shoulder presses, arm rows, squats, lateral raises and lunges. I did a few reps of those. My knees were cracking when I tried to squat (I have rather weak joints for a 19 year old), and I could barely lift my arms for the lateral raises. On the whole, I only did a few reps of each of those exercises before I gave up.

Should I keep trying to lift or should I just let it go and focus on cardio? I think I'm too weak to lift, honestly.

So after one time you expected to do what?

And it doesn't really sound like you know what to do or what you are doing. Have you thought about looking into programs like Strong Curves, Stronglifts, Starting Strength, NROL, or AllPros? Or maybe even hiring a Personal Trainer to work with you?
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    I just don't feel it's worth it. It's not going to make any difference. I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter, I just want to look less gross in my clothes.

This can't be real...I smell a troll.
    Did you see her water thread?
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Do me a favor. Take a screen shot of this quote of yours. Then, go lift and give it a good, solid, honest effort for 2-3 months. Then come back, find your screen shot of this quote and laugh at yourself.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Lifting heavy (with barbells or even with dumbbells) is usually suggested because it gives you the most bang for your buck, so to speak.

But you can look into bodyweight training routines from Nerdfitness, Body By You, Convict Conditioning or Strong Curves (it has a bodyweight program in there too). The thing to keep in mind is progression (doing harder variations).

Body recomposition is done through strength training. The only other thing I could suggest is just learning to like how you are.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options

O boy..now I am curious...be right back
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Now I feel :indifferent: for being serious. Eh, oh well. Hopefully any lurkers will get some benefit from my answers.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to believe some of you can't pick up 5lbs or 8lbs. Do you not carry in groceries? What about a gallon of milk?

When I started, I had to use two hands to carry a gallon of milk. I often had to unbag groceries because the bags were too heavy. I've been lifting for a year and there are still some arm things that I can't do with more than 5lbs. So yes, this is very possible.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options

Holy crud.

Ya'll need to stop hand holding the ignorant.
    I understand being positive for folks and encourage them but this is dumb. She is taking the core essence of helpful discussions her and stating how she doesn't want to do them. I think she needs to mature as a person a bit more before coming online and asking for help. She won't take anything any of you say seriously and even if she states she is she really won't be. Stop wasting your time.
  • btripicchio
    btripicchio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost the most weight by lifting. By super setting, you get your heart rate up and get toned. Your metabolism will be on fire, and it will burn so much more fat!!!! You don't want to be "fat" skinny, you want to be toned! Go for lifting!!! :)
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Now I feel :indifferent: for being serious. Eh, oh well. Hopefully any lurkers will get some benefit from my answers.

Water makes her feel bloated and gross... and had issues with dehydration her whole life so she avoids outdoor activities now.

Gawd, I hope its a troll.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be a bodybuilder or have huge muscles to reap the benefits of being strong. Lifting weights has so many health benefits, I don't know why anyone wouldn't give it a go. It's definitely worth it, that's not even a question.

Stronger muscles, stronger bones, joints, and mind. You will gain confidence, burn more calories at rest, and be able to do every day things much more easily if you are stronger. You can't transform your body by just losing weight - lifting can transform your body. My butt, legs, arms, back, and tummy all look better having a strength training routine in place. Don't give up just because it's hard. Most anything worth doing in life is hard.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    look-at-my-wrist-i-gotta-go.gif
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Tagging because I want others to stop giving the excuse "I'm too weak to lift". There's a lot of good replies in this thread.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If you think 8 lb dumbbells are heavy...

YES! KEEP LIFTING!

How do you expect to get stronger if you just give up? How do you expect to prevent muscle loss if you never lift again? Don't be a quitter.

If you don't have a clue what to do, look up form videos online. Start a beginner's lifting program like StrongLifts 5x5 for New Rules of Lifting for Women or Strong Curves or Starting Strength.

"It's hard so I gave up" - What kind of attitude is that? You're not going to lose weight and keep it off with that kind of attitude. If it was easy, everyone would do it.