Why did I try lifting...

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Ok. I've given all the rah-rahing my twisted black heart is capable of giving. To OP: good luck, and I sincerely hope you take what's been said here to heart. We've done all we can, here. The rest is up to you.

Bubblgum out.

2RuS2.gif
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It is worth it. YOU are worth it. It will take some time but, again, you are worth it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I find I have better success with it when I have a plan in place, rather than just going in there and trying stuff out. There are a lot of great free or cheap resources out there to get you started with a plan.. I think once you have one you will feel better about it.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    It's worth it.

Agree. Lifting makes everything else you do easier. And more fun. :drinker:
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Half the battle is attitude.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    And for the record, there are some exercises where 8 pounds is too much... BUT as you keep doing it it will be too little.. Just like you can't become a marathon runner over night, you have to build your stamina and endurance... the same goes of lifting weights, you gotta keep training your body to be better and stronger.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard to believe some of you can't pick up 5lbs or 8lbs. Do you not carry in groceries? What about a gallon of milk?

When I started, I had to use two hands to carry a gallon of milk. I often had to unbag groceries because the bags were too heavy. I've been lifting for a year and there are still some arm things that I can't do with more than 5lbs. So yes, this is very possible.
    Yep, possible.

I had to use 2 hands to put the milk in the fridge. I was small and weak. 108 lbs, absolutely no muscle.

Comparatively, I feel pretty bad *kitten* now.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    I just don't feel it's worth it. It's not going to make any difference. I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter, I just want to look less gross in my clothes.

This can't be real...I smell a troll.
    Did you see her water thread?

Now I feel :indifferent: for being serious. Eh, oh well. Hopefully any lurkers will get some benefit from my answers.
    Best way to look at it!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Keep at it and you will get stronger. If you're more comfortable with pushups and other calisthenics, you can try that too (push-ups, squats without weights, jumps, tricep dips, etc...). It might be a good way to start until you feel a little more comfortable.

As others have said, try looking up Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5 x 5.
    For calisthenics, try a book called You Are Your Own Gym (or something else if anyone knows of another resource).
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSuFZL-sl2KMpsjj7D9q3CgMco5kAfnW_ZjFwD1Avz5xdn9jyNHg
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    I just don't feel it's worth it. It's not going to make any difference. I'm not aiming to be a powerlifter, I just want to look less gross in my clothes.

Now I feel :indifferent: for being serious. Eh, oh well. Hopefully any lurkers will get some benefit from my answers.

Water makes her feel bloated and gross... and had issues with dehydration her whole life so she avoids outdoor activities now.

Gawd, I hope its a troll.

Yep..I read it..

Too much for me.....
  • ILuvCupcakesNLifting87
    Options
    So you are weak. So what. That's WHY YOU LIFT. To get, ya know...NOT weak.

^^^^ THIS! You got to start somewhere. I have been lifting free weights for almost 5 months now and can only curl a 15 lb dumbbell for 10 reps x 4 sets! It takes time to increase strength. If you're only motivation to lift is for cosmetic reasons it's going to be hard to be successful. Start out small and build up. Look at BodySpace. It's like MFP but for lifting. They have a lot of programs for beginners and you can tailor programs to work for you. Also they offer demonstration videos directly from the site. It's pretty awesome. Just don't give up.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I was exactly like you. (I even dropped the dumbbell by accident and it made a loud banging sound!) I was so embarrassed and had no clue what to do. I wanted to give up, but didn't. I knew I needed to learn more.
    I went home and started reading and researching. Finally I became somewhat comfortable and things started to get easier. ( I still mess up all the time but could care less now.at least I'm trying )
    Don't give up, and you'll get there. Start reading and keep going :-)

Edited because I just read everything and saw the OP is probably trolling, but I'll leave my comment above up encase it could be helpful to anyone else that may be having trouble getting started.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    anything worth having.. is worth some sweat and anguish to get there... you never know what's on the other side of the bridge until you cross it...
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I came back and found all this...

Honestly, I don't know whether to feel inspired or break down and start crying. I know you guys don't intend to be mean. I'm not a troll. I'm really not. For those of you that read my water thread, I'm sorry it sounds pathetic to you, but that's really how I live my life. I don't go outside in the heat because I faint every single time. I can't even go to amusement parks anymore. If I drink too much water, I feel nauseous. So I did a trade off. I realize it doesn''t sound very healthy, but I don't know what else to do.

I wanted to try lifting, I really did, but I just feel even more hopeless now than when I started.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

Pika, so I'm guessing your tires where safe last night after the thread got locked??!!! Lmao!! I was cracking up!!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Pika, so I'm guessing your tires where safe last night after the thread got locked??!!! Lmao!! I was cracking up!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So far so good..but you never know!!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I came back and found all this...

Honestly, I don't know whether to feel inspired or break down and start crying. I know you guys don't intend to be mean. I'm not a troll. I'm really not. For those of you that read my water thread, I'm sorry it sounds pathetic to you, but that's really how I live my life. I don't go outside in the heat because I faint every single time. I can't even go to amusement parks anymore. If I drink too much water, I feel nauseous. So I did a trade off. I realize it doesn''t sound very healthy, but I don't know what else to do.

I wanted to try lifting, I really did, but I just feel even more hopeless now than when I started.

In case you're serious, this is what lifting can do (body recomp)
    1c18e5d5478c5dca0f967b444a288945d25d.jpg
    1c180958274ab279e6ae064ec599436e1ef3.jpg
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I understand that you just want to "look good" for right now since you're 19, and I honestly felt the same way until my mid-twenties. And then I had to start working in factory jobs because money get tight. And I realized that exercise was way more about "looking good in my clothes" and more about physical strength. Because I may just want to look good now, but strength training helps you in the long run. It helps protect you against brittle bones at an older age. I'm sure you'd love to be able to keep up with your children and your children's children as time goes on. Nutrition and exercise are a long term thing.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So far so good..but you never know!!!
    [/quote

True!!lol (she could be lurking around right now:)