Intermittent Fasting 5:2

Options
Hi

It has been a while that I have been on MFP!
Just wondering if anyone has had or having success on the 5:2 Intermittent fasting with doing 500cals 2 days a week. My interest is in health more than weight loss for mind clarity and possible prevention of Alzheimer's or dementia.
Cheers
Lynne

Replies

• EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I just started this eating plan yesterday (with a "fast" day) after researching on here and on the net. Obviously I'm in no position to regale you with my success story (yet), but it makes sense to me and seems eminently doable.

There is a 5:2 Group on here which contains lots of useful information and provides a forum for excellent support from like minded folk.

All the best. :flowerforyou:
  • VaxSA
    VaxSA Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Its not your typical IF roster of 5:2 but I only eat at dinner time, works for me. May not work for you. I love it though, personally.
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love it! The first diet I have been able to stick to for longer than a week. I am losing slowly
  • JourneysbyLK
    Options
    Can you kindly steer me to the group you suggested, I had a quick look but couldn't find it!

Thanks for your reply!
  • JourneysbyLK
    Options
    Silly me just did a search and found heaps of threads so I will have some good reading!
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    Silly me just did a search and found heaps of threads so I will have some good reading!
    oh good!
  • KikiCS
    Options
    I just started the 5:2 Fast yesterday with a fast day also. Surprisingly, I did pretty good. I did some research on it before deciding to follow a plan like this and it seems pretty safe and sure. We'll see... I'll be looking for that group also.
  • dulceproductions
    dulceproductions Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm following something called "The Rotation Diet" and have had great success. I rotate my calorie intake for a couple days at a time. It rotates from 600 to 1200 and then back to "normal". Not sure if the 5:2 follows the same concept, but from what I've read here in MFP forums, it sounds like it.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Do you ever see Dr Oz on TV or on his website ( www.doctoroz.com)? This past week he had on one Dr. Natasha Turner who was talking about her "Supercharged Hormone Diet Reset" and gave 5 "power Plan steps" .... Step 5 was bout a 1-day fast every week. .... here is a copy of what was posted on Dr Oz's website ....

"Power Plan Step #5: Do a hump-day cleanse to boost hormone responsible for building muscle.

This is a new revolution in weight loss called "intermittent fasting." Studies have clearly shown that our body responds to the fasting by boosting growth hormone, the hormone that helps build muscle. It involves the avoidance of food intake for one day per week. Now this might seem to counter my viewpoint on cutting calories, but if done properly it will not cause muscle deterioration and can actually help greatly in the treatment of chronic pain and metabolic syndromes. During your cleanse day you should drink at least 4 liters of warm or cold herbal teas to support the cleansing process. I recommend a combination of herbs with anti-inflammatory and diuretic benefits such as ginger, lemon, blueberry, hibiscus, dandelion, green tea and parsley. You can consume one or two hard-boiled eggs in the morning or a serving of nuts in the afternoon if you feel overly hungry."

I do not follow an intermittent fasting routine myself, but am interested in all things nutrition and health based. Good luck

PS .... the recommendation was to do the intermittent fasting on Wednesday but any 1 day you choose would be ok, as long as it was the same day every week.
  • TestingFun01
    TestingFun01 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I only eat dinner. Everyday. I couldn't do 5:2, it was too inconsistent for my body to be able to get used to it.
  • JourneysbyLK
    Options
    Will do Angela!

I am thinking this is a great option for a healthy lifestyle. Week 2 this week :)
  • a4phantom
    Options
    Sounds like a plan for women who think they are too old to have eating disorders.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan for women who think they are too old to have eating disorders.
    What's that supposed to mean? The book was written by a male doctor.

http://www.amazon.com/FastDiet-Weight-Healthy-Intermittent-Fasting/dp/1476734941/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411362277&sr=1-1&keywords=fast+diet

Incidentally, he 'invented' this diet because he found he couldn't stick to the alternate day fasting being researched by Dr. Krista Varady.

The first time I heard of intermittent fasting was from Brad Pilon's site.

A lot of men use it, and develop programs around it.

http://dailyburn.com/life/health/intermittent-fasting-methods/
  • a4phantom
    Options
    You're right, that was dismissive and sexist of me. Eating disorders are becoming much more common among men and boys, and I should have said people who think they're too old for ED.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    You're right, that was dismissive and sexist of me. Eating disorders are becoming much more common among men and boys, and I should have said people who think they're too old for ED.
    Doesn't look like anyone's biting. That'll be those ED's you're talking about.:tongue:
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    There is a lot of fear of fasting. People treat the constant influx of food like a security blanket, often. It takes some courage to read about new things and more to try them.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Fasting = voluntary starvation

Rather than starve yourself, why not just try eating less and moving more? It's the same thing, just spread out in a way that's more balanced for your body.

You "fast" naturally for a little over 2 days every week naturally. It's called sleeping.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    It's not the same thing. That's why there are books written about fasting and the practice has been around forever.

If it scares you, don't bother learning about it. If you know nothing about it except your preconceived fears, is your input that relevant at all?
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I found 5:2 to be inconsistent, so I do intermittent fasting everyday. I fast for 20 hours, and fit my day's calories within 4 hours or less. It gets so much easier over time, and now, I cannot bring myself to eat early on in the day. The good thing about IF is that it's a sustainable lifestyle choice, not a diet or fad. And it's not rigid. Not hungry? Don't eat yet. Breakfast makes you nauseous? Skip it altogether and eat later. And it's really easy to tweak your fast/feast hours to fit in social appointments and meals with your family and friends. It's worked wonders for me in my weight loss journey, but of course, our bodies are all different. Do what feels best for you.