On Taking Offense

Options
"I ate all da' foodz bc yolo."

Such phrasal grotesquery. I speak of no one in particular; my concern is with the general debasement of language.

It is a mystery why educated people write in such fashion. Surely these phrases are overused, and a cliche cannot be a good means of conveying personality--unless, of course, a good proportion of the population has the same personality, and are as walking cliches. A scary thought.

Right now I imagine some of you are probably having an emotional reaction and will begin typing something hasty in reply. Please read further, so your thoughts may not be ill-conceived, and to appreciate the flow of my ideas.

I can anticipate some replies. Such as, "It's America. I can write what I want!" Or "Cocteau can choke on tripe." You are correct on the former; the latter sentiment is only correct in a hypothetical way as tripe requires careful cooking and I have been known on occasion to indulge--yet only at fine restaurants. But ask yourself this, in the name of free expression: Have U.S. soldiers endured so many wars in the 20th and 21st centuries so you can reduce your coherency to that of Honey Boo Boo? Nobody enlists under such convictions.

Right now it is late and I am drinking wine. In defense of habit, I cite Baudelaire: "So as not to be the martyred slaves of time, be drunk, be continually drunk! On wine, on poetry or on virtue as you wish."

Ahh, virtue. I have heard that morphing an 's' into a 'z' and a 'th' into a 'd' is considered a fun thing to do. Some are too easily amused. They should go see a puppet show, and not write.

Yet truly my concerns extend further than orthographic atrocities. I am talking of philosophy. Let us consider "yolo" for instance. It covers everything, doesn't it? Let us bang, pass, ignore, marry, and observe naked the universe--because "yolo, y'know"?

Here's a thought: If you only live once, why not learn a proper language? Such as English.

Oh, but you say, it is offensive to point out hackneyed prose? Everything is offensive in the USA these days. Not a day passes without some new Internet outrage; or some small slight at Starbucks or the office becoming cause celebre for vengeance.

But what is really offensive? Are thought and language the only things left that we can assail without fear of correction? Rather, I would suggest, in the words of the great American poet Dylan Thomas, to "rage, rage, against the dying of the light." The light of your mind, friends.

There now, I am finished. I stand now ready for faux outrage, snark, copy-and-paste memes, and the usual effluvia to be directed at this essay, intended as a piece de resistance. Google that if you must.

This weekend there will be apple festivals and such. I shall read in the shade of vineyards and groves, for the autumn equinox approaches, and we must dispel the hobgoblins of the mind.

I bid you good night, -G.E Cocteau
"Should you rush to quell my diction, I shall riposte with lucid conviction."

Replies

• dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Dat da truth! Propz 2 u for being so smart!
  • Strange_magic
    Strange_magic Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't care what anybody says, I like you.
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I dodat all da time. My bad, yo!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Swag...you gotz it.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options

Such phrasal grotesquery. I speak of no one in particular; my concern is with the general debasement of language.

It is a mystery why educated people write in such fashion. Surely these phrases are overused, and a cliche cannot be a good means of conveying personality--unless, of course, a good proportion of the population has the same personality, and are as walking cliches. A scary thought.

Right now I imagine some of you are probably having an emotional reaction and will begin typing something hasty in reply. Please read further, so your thoughts may not be ill-conceived, and to appreciate the flow of my ideas.

I can anticipate some replies. Such as, "It's America. I can write what I want!" Or "Cocteau can choke on tripe." You are correct on the former; the latter sentiment is only correct in a hypothetical way as tripe requires careful cooking and I have been known on occasion to indulge--yet only at fine restaurants. But ask yourself this, in the name of free expression: Have U.S. soldiers endured so many wars in the 20th and 21st centuries so you can reduce your coherency to that of Honey Boo Boo? Nobody enlists under such convictions.

Right now it is late and I am drinking wine. In defense of habit, I cite Baudelaire: "So as not to be the martyred slaves of time, be drunk, be continually drunk! On wine, on poetry or on virtue as you wish."

Ahh, virtue. I have heard that morphing an 's' into a 'z' and a 'th' into a 'd' is considered a fun thing to do. Some are too easily amused. They should go see a puppet show, and not write.

Yet truly my concerns extend further than orthographic atrocities. I am talking of philosophy. Let us consider "yolo" for instance. It covers everything, doesn't it? Let us bang, pass, ignore, marry, and observe naked the universe--because "yolo, y'know"?

Here's a thought: If you only live once, why not learn a proper language? Such as English.

Oh, but you say, it is offensive to point out hackneyed prose? Everything is offensive in the USA these days. Not a day passes without some new Internet outrage; or some small slight at Starbucks or the office becoming cause celebre for vengeance.

But what is really offensive? Are thought and language the only things left that we can assail without fear of correction? Rather, I would suggest, in the words of the great American poet Dylan Thomas, to "rage, rage, against the dying of the light." The light of your mind, friends.

There now, I am finished. I stand now ready for faux outrage, snark, copy-and-paste memes, and the usual effluvia to be directed at this essay, intended as a piece de resistance. Google that if you must.

This weekend there will be apple festivals and such. I shall read in the shade of vineyards and groves, for the autumn equinox approaches, and we must dispel the hobgoblins of the mind.

TL;DR

Mad props thou, yo!
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bruh
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Unless you are speaking in a mathematical sense, you most likely mean portion.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lt8sdxktG31r2hr0go1_500.jpg
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    *raises a glass* applause
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

He was speaking in a statistical sense. He used it correctly.

Hez 2 smart to make errorz.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I'll keep my effluvia to myself.:embarassed:
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

He was speaking in a statistical sense. He used it correctly.

Hez 2 smart to make errorz.

In that case, I will refrain from tearing apart other grammatical errors. OP, good for you. I knowed stuffz now. danks.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Ezra Pound like a mother effer yo!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ml3u753OwJ1sng5syo1_500.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    U b try'n hard 2 b smart n stuf
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

But do yous gots a recipe for dem SWEET TATERZ?!?!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Currently, these two phrases are duking it out for the coveted position of "fav" from this post:

"Or "Cocteau can choke on tripe." You are correct on the former; the latter sentiment is only correct in a hypothetical way as tripe requires careful cooking and I have been known on occasion to indulge--yet only at fine restaurants," and "Yet truly my concerns extend further than orthographic atrocities. I am talking of philosophy. Let us consider "yolo" for instance. It covers everything, doesn't it? Let us bang, pass, ignore, marry, and observe naked the universe--because "yolo, y'know"?".

Iono. Yolo.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    You used to be Wordman44. I'm trying to remember why I deleted you.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Meh. Post like that are just as easy to decipher as self-aggrandizing ones.

I du me. U du U.