Why the hate on "toning?"

Options

Replies

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Honest answer?

Because people use it as an excuse to look down on others and show off how smart they are. They're really not. It's a commonly used word, it may not be entirely accurate, but trust me, plenty of people use words incorrectly every single day. People who ***** about it on the forums are doing just that, *****ing.

^^this
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Honest answer?

Because people use it as an excuse to look down on others and show off how smart they are. They're really not. It's a commonly used word, it may not be entirely accurate, but trust me, plenty of people use words incorrectly every single day. People who ***** about it on the forums are doing just that, *****ing.

I think it is more of hate on the fitness industry more than anything as they use the term to tell women to "tone" your muscles you need to lift light weight for a lot of reps. when really the muscle toned look comes from having enough lean body mass and lower BF%. Best way to get there is heavy strength training and a moderate caloric deficit over time.
  • OnTheGround
    Options
    Honest answer? weight lifting snobs.

Just ignore them.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXPXNGOf7TtvCEBGmSjlUGki1byFW4J_Q38DqLgUKqN5fuuhBX
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Generally, when people talk about tone, what they are actually referring to is composition or definition.
    Example... A girl has a bicep circumference of 11", but it's soft and even, the muscles aren't defined. When she says she wants to just "tone" her muscles, not make them bigger, it means she wants her arm to stay 11" roughly, but wants muscle definition, ridges and firmness.
    Same with legs, butt, abs.
    "I just want to tone" is short for I like my size, but not the composition/definition.
    I'm pretty happy with the size/circumference of my thighs/butt, I just want less jiggle, more firmness and rigidity.
    It doesn't bother me at all if people use incorrect words to describe their fitness goals. I'm just happy that people HAVE fitness goals...too many people don't.
    In the end, it doesn't really matter what you call it, as long as you're getting off your butt and moving.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't hate "toning" in and of itself as I understand what the person is ultimately after...what I do find annoying is when someone says, "I want to tone up"...and I suggest lifting weights and cutting body fat...and they say, "but I don't want to bulk, I just want to tone." :angry: :grumble: :huh:

I also find it annoying that the fitness industry has convinced women that if they lift anything heavier than their purse, they will bulk on all of this muscle...and that they just need to use the little pink 1.5 Lb dumbbells if they want to "tone". I can assure you...my wife lifts heavy things and puts them down...she does traditional back squats with barbells and plates...she does dead lifts...she benches and does overhead presses...she is not bulky...she is "toned."

this is the heart of the issue.
  • shirleygirl1013
    shirleygirl1013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It is not fitness snobs. Any woman that has spent time at the gym has heard from friends and family about how "toning is the goal" not "muscles" and then they give really awful advice about how to tone up. Usually, it involves high reps and baby weights. The word "toning" and the philosophy behind it has wasted thousands of hours of women's time in the gym (including my own). I started making progress when people around me, that knew what they were talking about, told me that building your muscle will give the "toned" appearance that we want. They said that I would do it by lifting heavy and like a "man". That was the best advice I ever got.

Sorry, after reading some other posts I think I am preaching to the choir. Maybe, Im just fussy because of the months I spent toning on the chest press machine at 10lbs 20reps, 4 sets cuz I was told that is what I needed for toning...
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Actually I hate the word toning simply because I have been criticized for lifting (heavy) and told that I should work on toning instead, the other day I was told by a girl that works at my gym, that I was wasting my time lifting heavy (low volume), she actually suggested reps of 25-50 (per set).....this is high for even the high rep people. Volume has a place in training but the myth that lifting a 2lb pink weight a hundred times in a row will melt fat off at only a select location is just that a myth and stops many women from meeting their goals.

Retaining/building muscle and burning fat (unfortunately we can't select where it comes off at) is what most people want when they think of toning, unfortunately the way they believe you get it, is normally not accurate.

Now if someone just says toning and they are new, then fine it is just a word and they are trying to state what their goal is.....if they preach to me or others on why I or others should only focus on "toning" as it is generally used....then I take issue with the word and advice.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's a term that gets used almost exclusively when you're talking about women, and I hate marketing language that treats women as if we're a completely different species. My muscles don't behave differently from a man's, so I don't need special girl-only language or methods in order to use them. I feel the same way about special yogurt-for-women or tools with pink handles.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about special yogurt-for-women or tools with pink handles.

I AM SO THRILLED I'M NOT THE ONLY WOMAN THAT CAN USE A REGULAR HAMMER WITHOUT IT NEEDING TO BE PINK.

thank you for saying that.....
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, here's one. From what I've experienced reading the forums since I got here is that the majority (this is only what I'VE experienced, so I can be wrong) of women who want to "tone" are really not looking to do any hard work with regards to becoming more muscle-visible. And I believe that is just from ignorance of what lifting really does.

So, as much as I'd like to be snarky and all that, I think it would behoove me to be more patient and try to educate. However, there are the ones that still don't want the education and just want to write words.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I dislike the term "toning" because it is terribly non-specific, and if you really don't have muscle, there is not much point in toning. You're either building muscle with resistance training or flapping your arms.

You can tone, what you don't own.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Generally, when people talk about tone, what they are actually referring to is composition or definition.
    Example... A girl has a bicep circumference of 11", but it's soft and even, the muscles aren't defined. When she says she wants to just "tone" her muscles, not make them bigger, it means she wants her arm to stay 11" roughly, but wants muscle definition, ridges and firmness.
    Same with legs, butt, abs.
    "I just want to tone" is short for I like my size, but not the composition/definition.
    I'm pretty happy with the size/circumference of my thighs/butt, I just want less jiggle, more firmness and rigidity.
    It doesn't bother me at all if people use incorrect words to describe their fitness goals. I'm just happy that people HAVE fitness goals...too many people don't.
    In the end, it doesn't really matter what you call it, as long as you're getting off your butt and moving.

I like this assessment.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

I AM SO THRILLED I'M NOT THE ONLY WOMAN THAT CAN USE A REGULAR HAMMER WITHOUT IT NEEDING TO BE PINK.

Seriously. Look I love my sister but when she bought pink boxing gloves at kickboxing, I wanted to punch her. (rolling eyes furiously)
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Honest answer?

100% agree with this
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

Seriously. Look I love my sister but when she bought pink boxing gloves at kickboxing, I wanted to punch her. (rolling eyes furiously)

The only lifting belt I could find in an XS was hot pink. I feel like a total tool every time I wear it. One of my hugest pet peeves is the need to make everything for women "cute" or "pink" in some way.
  • lizmedrano
    lizmedrano Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow .. :explode: .. I never realized that the word "toning" could bring out so much emotion in people... I have learned from this thread is to never use the word "toning" in a fitness sense.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Honest answer? weight lifting snobs.

Just ignore them.
    :drinker: Most know what the word tone means when someone uses it on the boards... as the above poster shared... it's just another way to knock someone else down while you're trying to act like you know more than them.

Toning = building muscles in real life...

online life? Many like to crush ppl because they like others to think they are somehow more knowledgeable

Most everyone knows what a person means when the term is used, most of us decide to understand it the way the poster intended it... others like to create trouble.

Yes, there are some ppl that do use the term 'tone' that don't understand that lifting won't bulk most women... Some are kind and see it as a teaching moment. Others like to make fun and tear the person down. No reason to do that but some feel the need I guess.:yawn:
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Honest answer?

Watch your tone.