Do You Even Beer?

Options

Replies

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I have yet to acquire a taste for craft beers. I usually just stick to silver bullets. But I've found myself more inclined to drink hard ciders lately.

[place fist here]

Woodchuck 802 is amazing, and it's hard to go wrong with Strongbow. I still haven't developed a taste for Angry Orchard, and Crispin may as well be apple juice.
    Which Crispin have you had? If only the blue bottles, I urge you to delve a bit further and try some of their Artisinal versions with the varying yeasts (such as Pilsner, Stout, and Belgian Trappist). Pretty amazing stuff. The Saint (Belgian Trappist yeast) is 6.9%, so hardly just "apple juice".

And if you dig Strongbow, give Magners or Aspall a try. Just don't ever do Mike's Hard Smashed Cider - it's like carbonated air freshener. *dry heave*
  • court_fritch26
    court_fritch26 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't discriminate…all beer is beautiful (ok, except for the truly nasty keystone…college frat party flashbacks, blah!)

giphy-10_zpsdbdfa4af.gif
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a "gimmicky" beer is per say. I know what crap beer tastes like (well, crap beer and malt liquor), and I don't want to revisit those days.

I just opened Southern Tier Pumking (I tried the Warlock, which was alright...I wasn't in the mood for a stout) and Epic/DC Brau Pumpkin Porter. Both are good. Personally, I've liked Schlafly's Pumpkin the best. Are those gimmicky? I dunno. To my credit, I'm willing to try any beer without getting sanctimonious about it.

Being a beer snob is only going to limit your choices in the long run. Well...ok, it is alright to be a beer snob when it comes to something like Natty Light. Otherwise, live and let live.

I disagree with the statement that being a beer snob limits your choices. There are so many craft brews happening right now, even if I want to I could never try them all. The only things limiting my choices are my liver and my wallet.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Okay, now I actually read the post.
    Are gimmicky beer drinkers real beer drinkers? Or are they to be guilted by a-holes like me on Yelp?

One: I'd address a few things. You consider pumpkin beers a "gimick," when it's a pretty long-standing "spice" beer; it's not gimmicky, it's an established style.

Two: you note that you're not a huge fan of Belgians, yet saisons (and to an extent, lambics and sours), are Belgian styles (I know you probably mean you're not a fan of the candi sugar/fruit profiles, but I think you'd be better off saying you don't like "Abbey styles" vs. grouping the whole genre of Belgian ales).

Three: Now that I've established that there's some confusion on beer classification, I'd answer that "gimmicky" beer drinkers are indeed real beer drinkers (particularly when gimmicky to you just happens to be a style you're not into). There are definitely beers that are just straight up gimmick (Rogue's beard beer comes to mind; Voodoo doughnut is another good example that you mentioned, all of which have tasted awful to me), but as someone who's had a large amount of craft beer and does have preferences (specifically Belgians, saisons, sours and bourbon barrel imperial stouts), I'd much rather try the new and different than the 30th version of an IPA that "tastes sort of like a Torpedo and a bit like a Hopslam"... as in, more and more breweries open, more and more "standard" styles get put out, and as a result, the genres get saturated. Now a habanero pineapple IPA? That would have my attention.

One: Whoa, whoa whoa. I'm not saying anything Belgian, saisons, sours, bourbon barrels, or any of that are gimmicky. Please, please, please. They are real, I was just saying they aren't always my favorite. My bad on the Belgian classification. I was talking more whits (I don't like the fruity notes, especially banana, and am not a big fan of bitter or sweet orange peel, candied anything, or coriander in my beer... just me... still didn't call it gimmicky).

B: I WAS talking about voodoo donut (many things by rogue, actually), pumpkin beers and chili pepper beers. To me, those are gimmicky. I had no idea pumpkin in beer was such a long-standing tradition (yes, I do know spice is... but not pumpkin specifically, which seemed, at least to me, to enter popularity around the time that pumpkin coffee drinks did). And my b on that one. But I think when you say "there are some beers that are just staright up gimmick," then you and I are talking about the same things.

IV: Look who put on their sassy pants this morning! And not literally the pants you're wearing in your profie pic, but the tone of your post. And I'm also kidding, because you did not come off as sassy.

Haha, I love this last response. I'll drink to that (and being borderline anti-Rogue!).

And don't worry--I knew you weren't saying saisons, etc. were gimmicky! I'm just a defender of Belgian beer, haha.

I feel like a bad man agreeing with you and being "borderling anti-Rogue," but I just can't get behind a lot of what they do. I do love me some Dead Guy, even though I tend to stay away from malty-sweet brews. Ever tried Double Dead Guy? I got so excited when it was on draft at a local taphouse, but it was faaaaar too sweet for my taste. If anyone can recommend a solid rogue brew (not something overly sweet or, as we've said, "gimmicky") I would love to try it. I am from Portland, OR originally and kind of hate myself for not loving such an OR beer icon.

Actually, a lot of my favorite brews come from CA. My favorite breweries are Sierra Nevada, Firestone-Walker (WOOKIE JACK!), Lagunitas, and Stone. Starting to get into Ballast Point and Russian River, too!
  • Muscles_and_lipstick
    Options
    Guiness.....or one of our local stouts.
  • _BlueGreyGreen_
    _BlueGreyGreen_ Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Guinness stout, maybe a Black and Tan
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I do beer. Wish I beered more. I should go get one now.

Favorites include Sweetwater 420 and Sweet Georgia Brown (Sweetwater beer is pretty much the sole reason I miss living in Atlanta). Also really like ambers, summer ales, and Belgians -- especially Delirium Tremens and De Koninck!

If I must drink macro brews, I'll go for AmberBock or PBR.

And a big thank you to this thread for introducing me to Untappd. I am signing up right now!
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    Here's to Sam Adams Oktoberfest. A better Oktoberfest beer than I expected.

Also, last night, after much crappy beer drinking, my bro in-law introduced me to a crappy, American version of a snakebite. Half Coors Light, half Smith and Forge hard cider, all drinkable. BAM!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Here's to Sam Adams Oktoberfest. A better Oktoberfest beer than I expected.

Also, last night, after much crappy beer drinking, my bro in-law introduced me to a crappy, American version of a snakebite. Half Coors Light, half Smith and Forge hard cider, all drinkable. BAM!

I don't know about the last part... but I totally agree with you about Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Such a surprisingly solid seasonal; I love when it's out.

Back to the Rogue bit--Dead Guy Ale is honestly the only decent beer I've ever had by them, and even their spirits are only "okay"; they've got quite the reputation for being pretty awful to their employees, as well.

Also... were you the one talking about a heather beer?! I just had one in the Boston area this weekend--was a bit of a weird one, even for me.
  • stillhere1981
    stillhere1981 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Fine, don't drink the Vanilla Porter. More for me. (I love the Breckenridge version)
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love all the beers. In fact I just did a Tap and Run where I get to do the two things I love most in the world. Drink beer and then run! It was super awesome...
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Most of the beers mentioned in this thread seem like gimmicky beers to me. The German purity law doesn't allow gimmicky beers so I really can't judge much what would be gimmicky good or gimmicky bad. I tried pumpkin beer only once and it was good but not what I'd typically expect from a beer.
    I try local beers wherever I go to. I don't get people that go to a foreign country (or just the next village) and order a Heineken because it's the only beer on the menu they know...

Beer is good. And I'm good in drinking beer. I can consume way more than 1000 calories in beer in an evening. That's sort of bad...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Most of the beers mentioned in this thread seem like gimmicky beers to me. The German purity law doesn't allow gimmicky beers so I really can't judge much what would be gimmicky good or gimmicky bad.

The Reinheitsgebot was originally a Bavarian law, and wasn't enforced throughout Germany until national unification in the late 19th century. One of the effects of this was the elimination of many unique local brews that didn't meet the strict requirements of the law, including the use of rye and wheat.

Brewers in other countries with strong brewing traditions, like England and Belgium, have never been obligated to follow these rules.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    It's is totally weird people don't like what you like. I know.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Brit here, who beers!

I also visit the US regularly [Chicago, NYC and LA] and travel in Europe quite a lot, so can give my 2p's worth of opinion [that's about 3 dollars :D]

British beer - proper, gently chilled but not cold, flat(ish) and brown is the best beer in the world. There's a massive range of different beers available, but the flavours are all far less extreme than USA-nian equivalents, so a british IPA is gently hoppy and crisp about 4% ABV and just perfect on a summers afternoon, but an american IPA will be at least 3% stronger, much colder and much much bitter-er. There's a good reason for this, brits will drink faster and more of it. Flat, warm beer is easier to drink.

German lager, weissbeer and belgian beers are amazing, and exactly how cold beer should be. Crisp, strong, beautifully clean tastes - perfect for a first pint after a long day, but then it's onto the real beer.

Your opinions may vary and all are equally valid - all beer is good. But i implore you to buy a bottle of Rev James, Adnams or whatever british beer you can find nearby, put it in the fridge FOR HALF AN HOUR and then enjoy. It should be chilled to 2 or 3 degrees below ambient, not cold. 10 degrees C [50F] is too cold. Serving beer at fridge temperature would have you shunned by british friends.

Or just come to London and I'll buy you one here!
  • shankasaurus
    shankasaurus Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Beer gives me gas. I love it but it hates me. So I drink ciders usually.
  • bunnylion
    bunnylion Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be in London 4th of December 10 pm.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be in London 4th of December 10 pm.

PM me and i'll buy you a beer.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have yet to acquire a taste for craft beers. I usually just stick to silver bullets. But I've found myself more inclined to drink hard ciders lately.

[place fist here]

Woodchuck 802 is amazing, and it's hard to go wrong with Strongbow. I still haven't developed a taste for Angry Orchard, and Crispin may as well be apple juice.
    Which Crispin have you had? If only the blue bottles, I urge you to delve a bit further and try some of their Artisinal versions with the varying yeasts (such as Pilsner, Stout, and Belgian Trappist). Pretty amazing stuff. The Saint (Belgian Trappist yeast) is 6.9%, so hardly just "apple juice".

And if you dig Strongbow, give Magners or Aspall a try. Just don't ever do Mike's Hard Smashed Cider - it's like carbonated air freshener. *dry heave*

I'm trying to remember.. definitely the blue label stuff (seriously, it's water), but I'll give the others a shot if you think they're worth it!

And :drinker: hello to fellow local liftingbro :D
  • JustinAnimal
    Options
    It's is totally weird people don't like what you like. I know.

I don't think the point of this thread was to hate on people who didn't like what I like. I think it was to start a conversation and hear other peoples' opinions. Thanks for the productive comment.