Overweight fitness instructors

Options

Replies

• tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I had an obese fitness instructor who was excellent at pushing me, teaching me proper form, and -- very important -- teaching me how to do the classes so I wouldn't hurt myself because I, too, was overweight. She was a goldmine of information and she never let me off easy. Plus, she knew what it was like to be overweight so she was extremely compassionate. I loved her.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate the Patriots, Bill Belichick never played a down of football in the NFL but is a future hall of famer.

I guess players should not take advice from him.

If the instructor possesses the skill to help clients reach a goal, does it really matter?
    This.

Someone's size says very little, if anything, about their skill set in the type of exercise in question. Like another poster said previously, you build your body at the gym and you lose weight in the kitchen. So being overweight doesn't mean they don't know how to exercise. When taking classes, I don't care about size or other shallow concerns, I care if the instructor is knowledgeable, if the class is fun, and if I can progress in my fitness goals. I fail to see where weight matters here.
  • JT_Taylor99
    Options
    Fitness instructors are selling a product, if the package to the product is unattractive then nobody is going to want to purchase the product. I don't care how they can "bring it".
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think if I was to go to a class now and the instructor was bigger, I'd actually feel a little reassured, because I'm big and out of shape and I'd feel less.... less?

But I can understand that if I was fit and a healthy weight and an instructor was bigger, it may give me some uncertainty.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Makes no difference to me. The following do:

1. Do they have a personality.
    2. Are they hard.
    3. Are they fun.

I don't judge anybody, instructor or not, on body size.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I "teach" a Zumba class now and then and I'm a good 30 pounds over my goal weight. I also have lost over 40 and kept it off for about 6 years. I live in a teeny town and my class is offered for free through the school district's Adult Education program. There is no one coming to my class that expects to see a stick girl teaching my class. We are all just there to shake our hineys and have some fun.

BUT, if I had to charge for my class or depend on teaching for my income, I would definitely feel the pressure to be in better shape and at a smaller size. "For fun" and "for pay" are big differences. I am paying my $30/mth for my Zumba membership and choreo DVDs and I would probably feel a little ripped off if the instructors on my videos were lardbutts and not dancing at full-on intensity.

To each their own.

I'm sad that someone who lost 40 lbs would call another another overweight person a lardbutt. I'm about at the half-weight mark (230 lbs vs. 117.5 lbs) and when I first started losing weight made a very conscious decision to never forget.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer a trainer who was at least as fit as I am, depending on their specialty and what I'm training for. I'm not really motivated to follow someone who appears to be going in the opposite direction from where I want to end up. I'm looking for a mentor or role model. If your career is fitness, I tend to feel that having a fit physique appears more professional.

I felt the same way about a doctor I once saw. He was very obese and came in smelling like an old cigarette butt. He was short of breath and looked like death warmed over. It didn't inspire confidence. I see quite a few overweight and even obese cops and firefighters, too. It makes me wonder whether they're up for the job. Imagine if our military members were out of shape. I do realize that not everyone who is overweight is out of shape, but the majority seem to be. Now perhaps I'm a judgmental person, but I can't help my first impressions. :ohwell:

I DO feel that there is a place for overweight fitness instructors. Some may be transitioning to a healthier lifestyle and that's cool. They also might tend to be more motivational for other overweight people who might relate better or feel more comfortable with them. Everyone has to pick the trainer that's right for them. :flowerforyou:
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Weight can be a bit deceptive to the untrained eye. Especially if clothing is loose. For instance my husband is 6 foot tall and 225lb, when his body fat is over 15% he loses a lot of definition and looks more 'cuddly' (which I love btw) rather than ripped. The number of doctors who have given him a bashing because his BMI is over 30 so he is technically obese, when in reality he could bench press the doctor without breaking sweat. I don't think the entire time we've been together his BF has been higher than about 18%, he's hardly a health risk!

So if we are talking about really fit people with a slight layer of padding which just covers some muscle definition, then no, it wouldn't put me off at all. My husband isn't a PT but I'd be more than happy if I turned up and saw someone with the same 'obese' physique whether they are male or female. If we are talking PT's who are out of breath by just getting out of a chair, walking up a flight of stairs or watching me workout, then yes, that would massively put me off. I would tend to think if what they are telling me is so straightforward and achievable why aren't they applying it themselves, although if i'd turned up to something I'd be too polite not to complete the class or session, so they would at least get a chance.

The only exception to that would be if I knew of a situation which impacts size such pregnancy, having recently had a baby, or being laid up with an injury, but even then we are talking a reasonable amount of weight gain for the situation and not body fat levels through the roof.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the class and person, I think. For example, I've known relatively heavy men who were amazing martial artists and could perform moves much younger and thinner men couldn't. On the other hand, I've known heavier men who were out of practice and couldn't correctly perform even simple moves. While the instructor's weight wouldn't stop me from trying a class, if I found the class to be lacking due to it, then yes, I would drop.

My theory is that there's probably a good reason they were hired to teach, and you never know what you might be missing when you refuse to learn from someone based on shallow observations.
  • Solar07
    Solar07 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It would depend on what I was getting out of the class. Is the instructor motivating me, making it a great experience that makes me want to come back? Or is this person sitting on a bench most of time, drinking water and out of breath because they walked across the room?
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    WkSs0y5.jpg
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I understand the points for both sides. Unfortunately, certain industries, you have to look like the product of your product. I mean, you see those car stickers "Achieve independent financial wealth. ASK ME HOW!" on rusty 15 year old hatchbacks - not sure the driver's nailed it yet. And then there's the "Lose weight the easy way" sticker I saw on an MPV once in a car park - an obese family fell out of it. And the shabby degenerates outside betting shops happy to give you a tip on the horses. It is of course possible that each of those individuals knows the secrets but they don't sell it very well.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest - I have an expectation that a fitness instructer isn't going to look like me. I don't expect a fitness model - but I guess I do think that they shouldn't be wobbling around the way I do in the class.

However - if I decide to try out a new class, I've taken the time to get into my workout stuff and over to the gym, I'm going to be doing that class whoever walked in to take it, I wouldn't just walk out because the instructor was larger. If I enjoyed the class and felt I'd got something from it, I'd come back.

I've never been in that position - but maybe one day I'll come across a larger fitness instructor that will challenge my expectations.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My gym is an annex to the local hospital. When I first joined I was a bit appalled by the "thickness" of some of the bodies in there. I have now learned that the vast majority of the heavier (and OLDER) people are not fitness instructors but RN's (cardio rehab), and office workers. However, I was 350 lbs when I joined and I could have probably broken my 99 lb fitness instructor like a matchstick. To me, it felt much more comfortable to be in a gym where not everybody has a super hot body. I about died when one of the water aerobic instructors took off his shirt and joined us in the water. That man had been hiding some serious flab under the shirt, but he is an awesome instructor. I would likely have problems with his weight if I was a hard bodied 21 year old. I was always more impressed that the gym was staffed by "regular people" who were certified but were able to hold jobs in this field. Let the overweight instructors keep their jobs and show us that everybody needs to work out for the hot bodies.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Actually, there's a gym near me and I saw an overweight fitness instructor run two spin sessions *in a row*. You want fit? That's fit. I doubt I'd survive one spin session.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Perhaps we need more of them...An overweight instructor maybe an incentive and more welcoming. And might encourage folks who are intimidated to go to the gym more often.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Overweight does not mean unfit or unknowledgeable.

To discount a coach or trainer because they are overweight is hilariously dumb.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I "teach" a Zumba class now and then and I'm a good 30 pounds over my goal weight. I also have lost over 40 and kept it off for about 6 years. I live in a teeny town and my class is offered for free through the school district's Adult Education program. There is no one coming to my class that expects to see a stick girl teaching my class. We are all just there to shake our hineys and have some fun.

BUT, if I had to charge for my class or depend on teaching for my income, I would definitely feel the pressure to be in better shape and at a smaller size. "For fun" and "for pay" are big differences. I am paying my $30/mth for my Zumba membership and choreo DVDs and I would probably feel a little ripped off if the instructors on my videos were lardbutts and not dancing at full-on intensity.

To each their own.

I'm sad that someone who lost 40 lbs would call another another overweight person a lardbutt. I'm about at the half-weight mark (230 lbs vs. 117.5 lbs) and when I first started losing weight made a very conscious decision to never forget.

Yes. I agree. It does not make any sense.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Eddy Merckx put on a fair amount of weight after he quit professional cycling.

Clearly that means that I should now take the advice of the ripped trainer in the gym who has taken a 6 week certification course over his...because abs and stuff.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    All those models I see in catalogs must know lots about health and fitness.

Life is so much easier when we can judge a person's value and knowledge based solely on their appearance.