How long did it take you to lose 30 pounds or more?

Options

Replies

• JustSammi
    Options
    It took me 4-5 months to lose 30 lbs. This included a week holiday to Croatia where I ate and drank what I wanted plus weekends away, family events etc. I lost on average 1 lb a week. I've stalled in the past 5 weeks, probably because I haven't had a dieting break for a long time and my body needs to sort itself out so at the moment I'm on a 2 week diet break eating at maintenance. Hope this will sort me out and I'll start losing at 1 lb a week again.

Good luck with your goals, remember to take 1 or 2 weeks off dieting every 6-12 weeks, it really helps to stop plateaus from happening by giving your body a break and also giving you a mental break.
  • JustSammi
    Options
    Double posted. Oops.
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds in 10 months with walking as my only exercise
  • paucoe
    paucoe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've lost 38.8 pounds, 65 days on MFP. But I am aggressively losing, limiting my calories to 1200 or less, and have built up to running 60 plus miles a week. I dont recommend it.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I think it took me around three or four months.
  • xxdaniellemcbridexx
    Options
    I started the first week of November , tomorrow is my 9th week weigh in and I'm at 28 so far.
    It really depends on how much you have to lose, and how much you apply yourself and how strict you are.
  • starslobber
    starslobber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As of today I've lost 30 pounds since January 1st, 85 days total. I exercise almost every day, I missed two days when I strained my back in late January. I eat mostly whole, filling foods between 1400 and 1600 calories per day, and exercise a minimum of 15 minutes daily, usually it is over 25 minutes daily, low impact aerobics with some days of light weight lifting or ab exercises.
  • Beley1984
    Beley1984 Posts: 21
    Options
    So I know that this weight loss is going to take a while. So far I've lost 8 pounds in the 8 or 9 weeks I've been doing this, so I'm on track. I just need a little inspiration or validation sometimes. I see so many people on here who have lost 30+ pounds but never says how long it took them. I guess I kind of need that to put things in perspective. I keep telling myself that if I keep this up, I should really see big changes by my birthday in December. But some times, I really wish I could see some immediate impact though that is completely unrealistic. (Being hormonal right now probably isn't helping the mood either).

Anyway, I know I'll get there. I just want to hear other people's experience with time vs weight loss.

hey im willing to share my experience with you. What I did was that I took less calorie intake each week then everyweek I made my exercise 4-5hrs after my meal.
  • Beley1984
    Options
    With my pattern I used, I lost weight of 30lbs for 2 months and half.
  • Beley1984
    Options
    I think it took me around three or four months.

How did you lost 90lbs for three or four months? that sounds interesting.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I went from 254.6 on 2/21/13 to 226 on 4/26/13 so 28 lbs in 61 days - but I had over 100 to lose when I started, too.
  • nespinosa3
    nespinosa3 Posts: 116
    Options
    If it makes you feel better...It's taken me 5 months to just lose 10 :(
    You're losing about a pound a week, that is amazing! That's the perfect rate, you probably don't want it to go faster because it's harder to maintain afterwards. Just remember that as you lose more, it will get harder and harder. Whenever you're at this place of just losing the last 10, you won't see a drop until 2-4 weeks have passed. So enjoy your 1lb/week while you can!! :D Stay positive!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Year 1: 25 lbs
    Year 2: 20 lbs - so far

Slow and steady and kept my muscle tone.
  • perrygibson3
    Options
    I lost 31 pounds in 8 weeks. From 257 pounds to 226 pounds.
  • Tessiek613
    Tessiek613 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    278 lbs. When I started, 10 weeks now and I've lost 26 lbs. Very happy with myself!
  • drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    33 lbs in almost exactly 4 months. 10 lbs in the first month.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Sixty days. I just keep things setup so I lose half a pound a day. If I start losing more than that I try to eat more ice cream and junk food. I ride my bike around a lot so it goes pretty quick.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 pounds in about a month and a half.
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I've only lost 21 pounds so far, and it's taken me 3 months almost exactly. I reckon 30 will take me about 5 months - so another 9 lbs in 2 months.

However, if I went at it constantly, each day straight I reckon 30 lbs would have taken me 3 months. The problem is, I had about a month in total where I slacked and only really maintained my weight as I was on holiday and travelling for almost a month - no access to healthy normal food or scales.

Also, despite the fact weight loss has now slowed as I'm getting lighter, I think I could do the extra 9 pounds in about 6 weeks. I am, however, allowing 8 or 9 weeks for it as I go back to university soon and know I will be drinking more alcohol than usual and having a couple hangover binge days to delay the weight loss for a few days each time.