I don't like veg

Options
Hi I really want to be healthier but I hate veg is there anything I can use to substitute for the fact I don't eat veg or anything that people can suggest I try

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I didn't read that an E.

There are so many types and ways to prepare veggies that saying you don't like ANY and ALL is just kind of absurd really. You're an adult- you have to try new things- and no one is going to make you do it but you.

So: step 1. try new things
    Step 2- try different ways to prepare new things
    step 3- blend them into smoothies and drink them.
    step 4- bacon grease and garlic salt make almost all veggies taste delicious.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Most of the nutrients in vegetables can also be found in fruit. It just comes with a lot more carbs.

I'd suggest using the MFP nutrition tracking tools and identifying weak areas and solving those rather than trying to eat foods just because you "should"
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    There are so many types and ways to prepare veggies that saying you don't like ANY and ALL is just kind of absurd really. You're an adult- you have to try new things- and no one is going to make you do it but you.

Above is exactly what I was going to say. You mean you've tried every vegetable, prepared every possible way?

Try roasting some vegetables, this seems to be more palatable technique to people who are resisting vegetables.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Your tastes change and adapt over time. If you force yourself to eat veggies you'll eventually grow to like them. They'll never taste like ice cream but eating them won't bother you. And no, there really isn't any substitute for eating veggies. Fruits are similar, but you should try and eat veggies too.
  • Hobday1966
    Options
    Hi there, I do like veg but with working and having a dog I've found that time is limited. So I now drink a Super Greens shake for my breakfast which includes 23 of the best vegetables. You can take it just with water/squash or milk/banana or whatever to adjust the taste. There's also a diet version.

I don't usually like giving sites free advertising but just sharing what works for me! 'The Protein Works' is the site.

http://www.theproteinworks.com/index.php/super-greens-3525.html?140=78&179=280&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Greens&utm_campaign=PLA

http://www.theproteinworks.com/diet-super-greens-2939.html

Have to say I've never felt so energised, my skin feels healthier and also I'm losing weight!!! AND I spend less time cooking so longer walking my dog.

Hope this helps? :) Kim
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Try blending some into pasta sauce to start with, then add finely chopped veg into soups, stews and sauces.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Get a juicer, you can make some really good juices using both fruit and vegetables :)
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    But....there's sooooooooo many kinds to choose from...try something new, or as others have said, juice, or chop into sauces. Suck it up buttercup, I doubt you dislike every single one that's out there, more like you don't like what you've tried or how it was made. Blanket statements like that aren't really how the world works, ya know.
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I totally read the topic name wrong lol

I hate veggies too, but there will come a time where I'll man up and start eating more...Just not today :)
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What is it about vegetables that you don't like? Because they can range from mushy to crunchy, and from sweet to somewhat bitter in taste, and I doubt you can hate every single variation.
    If you are willing to experiment, you could try "hiding" them with things you do like, in sauces, or made into burgers, stuff like that.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I hate vegetables as well, and no matter how many times I've tried or how many times I've heard "you have to make yourself like them" it's just is NOT going to happen and I'm fine with that. I actually like to eat Boca "veggie" burgers (the American flame grilled ones) because they taste almost just like a cheap hamburger patty and I'm totally okay with that! I take a multivitamin each morning as well.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What I do, since one of my sons doesn't like vegetables, is buy 2 carrots, 1 onion, 3 stalks of celery and a fist full of parsely. I clean them, cut them in big pieces and then run them through the food processer. Sometimes I grate the carrots first. Once I've got them in fine pieces I put the mixture in ice cube trays and freeze. I then use 1 or 2 cubes in almost anything I'm cooking---sauces, braised meats, soups etc. They almost disappear when cooked, but add alot of flavor and vitamins. To make a quick soup I throw a couple in a pan of broth with bits of meat, small pasta, rice, barley etc and add a Tbl of grated parmeggian cheese. Best.
  • danni2110
    danni2110 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's mainly the texture I don't like and I get it into my head I'm not going to like it so don't eat it and won't try different ones. I agree with you all that I need to be an adult and suck it up that's why I just wanted some suggestions
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    It's mainly the texture I don't like and I get it into my head I'm not going to like it so don't eat it and won't try different ones. I agree with you all that I need to be an adult and suck it up that's why I just wanted some suggestions

OK, texture issues I can understand as I'm completely turned off by certain textures. What's a veggie and it's preparation where you don't like the texture, and maybe someone can give an alternative to the preparation that changes the feel of it?
  • danni2110
    Options
    The crunchiness of lettuce, sliminess of onions I have tried mushrooms all different ways don't like any. ( some examples ) It's horrible because I will eat sweet things no matter what the texture and I want to be able to go out to a nice restaurant and not have to order the plainest food or ask them not to put things inside it I just feel like a little kid
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Texture can be a tough problem.

Try roasting them.
  • danni2110
    Options
    It not just veg but some meats and fish I have issues with but vegetables are the ones I would like to be able to eat the most
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes, parsnips, red peppers are all sweet-ish in taste, maybe start with them?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My vegetable palate is pretty limited, but I love red bell peppers and cucumbers, with or without hummus. It's a start.

Sugar snap peas?

I can eat spinach, especially with mandarin oranges and grilled chicken.

That's about the limit of the veggies I enjoy. I eat those and apples and berries, and don't beat myself up about not liking more veggies.

They do make a shredded vegetable slaw (shredded broccoli stalks and carrots); I'm going to try that. My roommate loves it. :-/.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

the struggle is real.
    Textures are totally a thing-

have you tried just plain roasting things? Zucchini can be made a little softer or like chips- I like it sauteed.
    corn is a lame vegetable- but it's still a vegetable.
    carrots can be harder or softer.

Keep in mind too- you can eat them just plain raw- like carrots I'll eat raw- green peppers I'll eat raw- zucchini I'll eat raw- I'll eat them all cooked as well- just gotta expand your mind on HOW you can eat them- and that should open some doors.