Whole mess 'O' research to peruse.

Options
Here are a bunch of cool research articles published in the last 15 years or so. Almost all deal with nutrition, metabolism, and obesity. I'll reserve any opinions until you read them. Feel free to post yours, I'm interested in discussion.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/77/3/544.full.pdf+html?sid=e89fb416-23c9-4726-9f6b-2755536995a5

http://www.ajcn.org/content/91/1/280S.full.pdf+html?sid=e89fb416-23c9-4726-9f6b-2755536995a5

http://www.ajcn.org/content/81/3/570.full.pdf+html?sid=e89fb416-23c9-4726-9f6b-2755536995a5

http://www.ajcn.org/content/68/3/599.full.pdf+html?sid=e89fb416-23c9-4726-9f6b-2755536995a5

http://www.ajcn.org/content/25/1/85.full.pdf+html?sid=5deb5c19-82fc-46dc-bf19-5dc7842a779a

good one here: http://www.ajcn.org/content/60/1/29.full.pdf+html?sid=5deb5c19-82fc-46dc-bf19-5dc7842a779a

http://www.ajcn.org/content/90/4/993.full.pdf+html?sid=5deb5c19-82fc-46dc-bf19-5dc7842a779a

I know this is a lot of stuff, but they were all so informative. Granted reading them all might leave you a bit dizzy, but they are really great research. Anyway, if you want to discuss a specific topic, please provide the link to that article and maybe the title just so we have some background to read on first.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    nuthin huh? I guess I'm the only person psycho enough to read this much gobblty gook.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    :cry:

I'm going to take the lack of response as people either just not having the time, or not being able to follow the research. It IS super technical. Please let me know if you looked at any at least. If nobody's reading any of this stuff, then I'd just as soon not waste time posting it. Oh well.
  • carmen62
    Options
    Yeah, all busy. It may help if you give a topic summary for each URL.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    bahh, I don't think I'm gonna do that. It would mean a lot of extra work and even I don't have that kind of time in the middle of the week. They're all related to nutrition, obesity, and human metabolism. Many deal with restricted calorie diets and fasts as well and what they do to the hormonal balance in the body (which is central to fat mass and weight loss topics)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You know I :heart: you, so I read the first one. And, that is some serious science/medical-ese....

I think the first study found that: although a decrease in leptin occurs during calorie restriction, when food is no longer restricted, the subjects didn't compensate (overeat?) for the missed food (missed during the restriction).

Also, it seems that the subjects were male, mid 30s, right?

With no basis in any science whatsoever, I'm convinced that some overweight people have some sort of problem with insulin/leptin regulation, and their hunger cues are all screwed up. I know, anecdotally, that when I experimented with IF, I compensated like a mother at the next available meal after the fasting period. Even after eating well for years, I still have difficulty when I'm really and truly hungry, knowing where "enough" is. Just opinion, though....
  • carmen62
    Options
    Had a quick look. The bit on Carbs and metabolism looked interesting. The obesity articles are of less interest as I am not obese, just overweight.

I appreciate your effort here, but the practicality is, too busy t wade through. i am studting myself and have enough journal articles to get through!
  • carmen62
    Options
    PS What is Red Sox Nation?
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You know I :heart: you, so I read the first one. And, that is some serious science/medical-ese....

I think the first study found that: although a decrease in leptin occurs during calorie restriction, when food is no longer restricted, the subjects didn't compensate (overeat?) for the missed food (missed during the restriction).

With no basis in any science whatsoever, I'm convinced that some overweight people have some sort of problem with insulin/leptin regulation, and their hunger cues are all screwed up. I know, anecdotally, that when I experimented with IF, I compensated like a mother at the next available meal after the fasting period. Even after eating well for years, I still have difficulty when I'm really and truly hungry, knowing where "enough" is. Just opinion, though....

weight and weight issues is pretty multidisciplinary I would think. ie. the science people know how metabolic systems work where psychologist understand behaviours and how priming would effect your "hunger cues". no one piece of research states anything, that is why it is so dry and boring to read, they have to be real careful not to summarize anything for the sake of getting it wrong. they are just delivering the facts for the research that they have studied.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

weight and weight issues is pretty multidisciplinary I would think. ie. the science people know how metabolic systems work where psychologist understand behaviours and how priming would effect your "hunger cues". no one piece of research states anything, that is why it is so dry and boring to read, they have to be real careful not to summarize anything for the sake of getting it wrong. they are just delivering the facts for the research that they have studied.

yep, they leave the speculation for others (us).
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    @viv, these were 8 women, not men. @carmen, abdominally obese does not mean obese in the classical terminology. It just means a predominance of their fat is in their belly. Enough to make the stomach higher in fat content than normal.

I'll have to re-read and confirm, but I think the main conclusions of this study were that, while healthy women (and men to a different degree) have a sharp, rapid increase of lipolytic response (increased adipose fat burning) for short term IF, abdominally obese (and by extension generally obese, one would imagine) women have a very reduced increase, meaning that their body's don't seem to kick into the "fat burning" mode after a reduction or elimination of carbohydrate intake over the course of a few days.

While troubling, it's not conclusive IMHO, its just further confirmation that when women gain to much fat, their bodies don't respond to stimuli like they normally would. Which I'm sure most of us guessed already. I.E. when a woman gets to fat, their body makes it harder to lose that fat for some unknown reason. That's troubling but not completely unexpected.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    @viv, these were 8 women, not men. @carmen, abdominally obese does not mean obese in the classical terminology. It just means a predominance of their fat is in their belly. Enough to make the stomach higher in fat content than normal.

I'll have to re-read and confirm, but I think the main conclusions of this study were that, while healthy women (and men to a different degree) have a sharp, rapid increase of lipolytic response (increased adipose fat burning) for short term IF, abdominally obese (and by extension generally obese, one would imagine) women have a very reduced increase, meaning that their body's don't seem to kick into the "fat burning" mode after a reduction or elimination of carbohydrate intake over the course of a few days.

While troubling, it's not conclusive IMHO, its just further confirmation that when women gain to much fat, their bodies don't respond to stimuli like they normally would. Which I'm sure most of us guessed already. I.E. when a woman gets to fat, their body makes it harder to lose that fat for some unknown reason. That's troubling but not completely unexpected.

On a completely (or only slightly related note). I used to never gain fat in the abdominal region (I was always an hourglass, not quite a pear shape). After a two-year course of corticosteroid treatment, my body hasn't been the same. I now gain/have great difficultly losing in the gut region. This could also be due to being, um, no longer twenty, but even women in my family who were aged (like my great grandmother) had the hourglass body.

Troubling is right. I find that, now that I spent a considerable amount of time heavy...it is nearly impossible to convince my body to let go of what I consider the last ten pounds (or so) of fat. Do you know of any studies regarding corticosteroid use, the subsequent weight gain and long term effects on weight loss? I could probably google this, but you seem to be deep into the studies right now...so just wondering if you'd come across any...

How did I miss that they were women, not men?:tongue: derp.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

On a completely (or only slightly related note). I used to never gain fat in the abdominal region (I was always an hourglass, not quite a pear shape). After a two-year course of corticosteroid treatment, my body hasn't been the same. I now gain/have great difficultly losing in the gut region. This could also be due to being, um, no longer twenty, but even women in my family who were aged (like my great grandmother) had the hourglass body.

Troubling is right. I find that, now that I spent a considerable amount of time heavy...it is nearly impossible to convince my body to let go of what I consider the last ten pounds (or so) of fat. Do you know of any studies regarding corticosteroid use, the subsequent weight gain and long term effects on weight loss? I could probably google this, but you seem to be deep into the studies right now...so just wondering if you'd come across any...

How did I miss that they were women, not men?:tongue: derp.

I would assume that the abdominal fat gains were probably at least partly to do with the steroid treatments, which probably increased testosterone levels, which has been shown to enhance the body's abdominal fat storage (I.E. why men store fat in the stomach more easily than women). along those same lines, estrogen seems to be a factor in why women store more fat in the lower body, and I think maybe the steroids probably changed your estrogen and/or testosterone levels. Or at least they didn't help matters. As women age they produce less estrogen, so that probably is one of the reasons. Your doctor could probably help with that if it's still an issue, many women receive estrogen treatments, it's something to consider at least.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    as to your question on corticosteroids. I haven't read anything specific recently. But I know that they mimic the hormone cortisol to a degree which means that they limit phospholipid burning (the release of adipose fat from fat cells for energy production). the dosage and term of the delivery is really the most important factor in this case. The higher the dose and the longer the course of the treatment, the more effect it will have on fat storage. Cortisol is biologically a steroid that counteracts insulin, and effectively increases glucose production in the liver. This means higher blood sugar with no where to go, which means more of that free floating sugar is stored as fat. Cortisol is naturally released to counteract high stress situations where in our distant past, high bursts of energy were needed (like running from a giant saber toothed tiger, or chasing down a woolly mammoth), of course, artificially adding corticosteroids will help things like inflammation and asthma, but they hurt things like body fat % and bone mass. So it's somewhat of a tradeoff there.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    as to your question on corticosteroids. I haven't read anything specific recently. But I know that they mimic the hormone cortisol to a degree which means that they limit phospholipid burning (the release of adipose fat from fat cells for energy production). the dosage and term of the delivery is really the most important factor in this case. The higher the dose and the longer the course of the treatment, the more effect it will have on fat storage. Cortisol is biologically a steroid that counteracts insulin, and effectively increases glucose production in the liver. This means higher blood sugar with no where to go, which means more of that free floating sugar is stored as fat. Cortisol is naturally released to counteract high stress situations where in our distant past, high bursts of energy were needed (like running from a giant saber toothed tiger, or chasing down a woolly mammoth), of course, artificially adding corticosteroids will help things like inflammation and asthma, but they hurt things like body fat % and bone mass. So it's somewhat of a tradeoff there.

Thank you. My current doctor (who I've finally decided is not so great of a doctor) hasn't been believing me when I tell him how much I eat, and said, regarding my steroid treatment "that wouldn't effect weight gain." (whaaaa? I gained thirty pounds in my first three months on the damn things while eating pretty much the same amount).

this gives me a good starting point of inquiry when I get my new doctor. Thanks.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    ]

Thank you. My current doctor (who I've finally decided is not so great of a doctor) hasn't been believing me when I tell him how much I eat, and said, regarding my steroid treatment "that wouldn't effect weight gain." (whaaaa? I gained thirty pounds in my first three months on the damn things while eating pretty much the same amount).

this gives me a good starting point of inquiry when I get my new doctor. Thanks.

doctors are like any other profession these days, overworked, and working of potentially out of date information. It's really up to the individual doctor for how proactive they want to be with the latest research and information. Some of this metabolic stuff is less than 10 years old, which means you may be ahead of him on it. It's possible, especially if it's a GP doctor who doesn't focus on metabolic conditions.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the resources, unforunately, just another reason to lament aging! :sad:
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition and I had not been previously introduced.
    I'm in the middle of a study break right now so I'm not going to wade in just yet, but I know what I'm going to read this evening! :wink:

Cheers!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Thanks for the resources, unforunately, just another reason to lament aging! :sad:

heh, (holding my ears). LALALALALALALALALA. i'm not listening to you.

In college, a full rugby game was a warm-up for me. Then I'd go out and play the B-side game if we didn't have enough guys, that's ahh what? 120 minutes of sprinting, wrestling, and un-dislocating fingers and stuffing cotton up my nose to stop the bleeding. And then we went drinking. Now, I'd be lucky to play a half without having a TIA on the field.
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    ]

doctors are like any other profession these days, overworked, and working of potentially out of date information. It's really up to the individual doctor for how proactive they want to be with the latest research and information. Some of this metabolic stuff is less than 10 years old, which means you may be ahead of him on it. It's possible, especially if it's a GP doctor who doesn't focus on metabolic conditions.

Yeah, I'm sure he qualifies in the whole overworked thing...but he's essentially accused me of lying to my food journal (or him.) I would lie to my own mother before I would lie to my food journal.:laugh:

Essentially, something (insulin resistance/hormonal issues/thyroid problems/something else) is up, and he won't investigate it. Or, it could be as simple as the study we were talking about...once I spent time significantly overweight, I'm doomed. I don't want to be doomed, and I'm suffering health problems that I believe are directly tied to the extra fat. (normal cholesterol levels, but high levels of arterial plaque, for example.) :grumble:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    ]

Yeah, I'm sure he qualifies in the whole overworked thing...but he's essentially accused me of lying to my food journal (or him.) I would lie to my own mother before I would lie to my food journal.:laugh:

Essentially, something (insulin resistance/hormonal issues/thyroid problems/something else) is up, and he won't investigate it. Or, it could be as simple as the study we were talking about...once I spent time significantly overweight, I'm doomed. I don't want to be doomed, and I'm suffering health problems that I believe are directly tied to the extra fat. (normal cholesterol levels, but high levels of arterial plaque, for example.) :grumble:

I think maybe 35 years ago you would have been doomed, as they didn't have the synthetic hormones they do now. But I think, with the correct blood work, correct diagnosis, and proper hormone therapy, you would be able to beat it. Those are some hurdles, but it all depends on having the right medical staff involved, someone who really knows their stuff and is willing to think a little outside the box. I'm sure there' someone around now that would be able to treat you, I just don't know that a regular General Practice doctor would be that solution, they're so afraid of anything out of cookie cutter treatments these days (lawsuits are a *****), that they won't dare prescribe something to someone who isn't on their death bed.