Overweight fitness instructors

Options

Replies

• SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    This thread is pretty discouraging. I'm getting ready to start studying for my ACE test (personal training) and I'm currently still overweight. However, I was once 80 lbs heavier, I've committed to a healthier lifestyle and my habits and coping skills are BY FAR better than they were 5 years ago. I've run a marathon, 4 half marathons and I can lift.

It makes me really sad that I feel like I'd have to give my entire history in order for someone to give me a chance. I'm human just like everyone else. I'm not perfect. I deal with binge and emotional eating and depression. If anything, I think it makes be BETTER equipped to work with certain types of people. I believe in people feeling strong and capable -- no matter where they are starting.

I would hire you as a personal trainer. I would have an easier time feeling comfortable and inspired.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options

The female instructors for the classes at my gym are all overweight (some more than others); and all lift less weight than I do. I'm not saying that maybe they don't have some knowledge that I don't have...but for me, I don't see the point in taking these classes if I weigh less and lift more than the instructors.

That is a bad reason to skip a class you would otherwise take if they were stronger. I lift 2 to 3 times as much as my body pump and grit instructors do in class, but they still push me and I get an incredible workout every time I go, its not like they have to outdo you in order to motivate. They are a lot smaller people and cannot be expected to lift as much as I do. Everybody is at different levels in their fitness and fitness instructors and trainers often are just average people like you and me except they have a little more specific training and are certified.

Perhaps the instructors are pacing themselves because they teach more than one class
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Even just the title on this thread makes me laugh. Therefore, yeah, I'd avoid that class. When I think about why; I'd rather have somebody that I could see being EXPERIENCED in that type of exercise to TEACH me how to correctly do it.

I feel like the term "overweight fitness instructor" is quite an oxymoron...
    By that logic, you wouldn't want boxing lessons from any of these guys, right?

http://www.bestboxingblog.com/top-12-all-time-best-boxing-trainers/

Physique doesn't necessarily show expertise, particularly in communicating proper technique.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am confused by this thread. I am in the obese category and my physical fitness is better than some "skinny" people I know. I don't really see what size has to do with fitness or knowledge about fitness. There is all this talk about size having to do with how much you eat, not how much exercise you do. You can't "out exercise over eating" and all that. If you are taking nutrition advice - that is a different story, but fitness instruction? I just don't understand.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    Even just the title on this thread makes me laugh. Therefore, yeah, I'd avoid that class. When I think about why; I'd rather have somebody that I could see being EXPERIENCED in that type of exercise to TEACH me how to correctly do it.

Like a CHP officer off duty who doesn't speed, a fireman who doesn't shoot off fireworks, or a cardiologist who eats meat? I'm sure you look for those people to be inexperienced in their line of work too?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Well now it seems like you've quite contradicted yourself. You state that you want someone who is experienced and who can teach you correctly how to do something. What if the slightly overweight instructor has a ton of experience and is very knowledgeable in what they are doing? What if the instructor was on the thin side with no muscles but again, had knowledge and knew what they were talking about? Would you still not go to them based purely on looks?

On the flip side a person who is super buff and "looks the part" could have zero knowledge on what to do. Believe me I know instructors who are fit that know squat about what they are teaching.

So really, you can't judge a book by its cover.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I "teach" a Zumba class now and then and I'm a good 30 pounds over my goal weight. I also have lost over 40 and kept it off for about 6 years. I live in a teeny town and my class is offered for free through the school district's Adult Education program. There is no one coming to my class that expects to see a stick girl teaching my class. We are all just there to shake our hineys and have some fun.

BUT, if I had to charge for my class or depend on teaching for my income, I would definitely feel the pressure to be in better shape and at a smaller size. "For fun" and "for pay" are big differences. I am paying my $30/mth for my Zumba membership and choreo DVDs and I would probably feel a little ripped off if the instructors on my videos were lardbutts and not dancing at full-on intensity.

To each their own.

I'm sad that someone who lost 40 lbs would call another another overweight person a lardbutt. I'm about at the half-weight mark (230 lbs vs. 117.5 lbs) and when I first started losing weight made a very conscious decision to never forget.

Yes. I agree. It does not make any sense.

Yeah it does, it's called bigotry.
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Your logic makes zero sense.

Being overweight automatically means that they are not experienced?

To me, yes. Being experienced means doing it often. I'm not gunna assume an overweight person does cycling classes regularly, nor an incredibly frail person. I'm not going to learn my correct yoga form from someone who can't do it themselves. You wanted opinion. You got one.
    I'm gonna learn yoga from some I think could, ya know, DO yoga. That doesn't mean someone fat, or scrawny or with tons of glamour muscles. Someone with a yogi body is the only one I personally trust to teach me that exercise. Period.

Wouldn't motivate me to see them at the front of the class. If they're so d*mn experienced, why are they large? And I'm not talking 20lbs over ideal. I'm talking actual overweight category. Sorry, I just couldn't trust it.
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If they can teach me things, I don't care what they look like.
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Seriously disappointed in some of the attitudes displayed in this thread. Seriously disappointed...
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Thin does not equal fit. period. it's sad to see that more people on this site don't realize that.

I am a personal trainer.... but four years ago I was over 300 pounds. No I am not thin, but i am stronger and have more stamina than a lot of people smaller than me. I've run multiple 5k's, 10k's, and two half marathons.

Thin/fit appearance does NOT mean a trainer or fitness instructor is in any better shape than someone like me. Honestly, I'd rather work with a trainer who has been in my previous position - and that's why most of my clients enjoy working with me, because I can relate to where they are coming from. Someone who has always been thin (they believe) can't relate.
  • tucky3203
    tucky3203 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You don't know where that person is in their fitness journey. The instructor may appear obese/overweight, but in fact has already lost 50-100lbs. Judge the class based on how it makes you change; not the instructor's physical appearance. The best yoga class I went to was taught by what people would consider an overweight instructor; she was rockin' awesome! I improved my strength and flexibility. Despite the overweight/obese outer appearance, they are still there working out just like you instead of sitting on the couch. Kudos to them for being brave to show their imperfections.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I am not an instructor however I would fit in the overweight category. However I AMAZE people with my stamina, and strength. With that stated, personally I would take it case by case. I have been to classes with thin instructors and wasn't worked hard enough. I been to classes and thin, muscular, and overweight instructors destroy people.

I truly wonder sometimes what weight-loss is all about and how it is achieved. As I have made major changes and still have not lost any weight.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer is amazing and she isn't a ripped stick. I love that about her. I love that she has a body that I can realistically look at and be like 'I want that.' Because I'm never going to be this "perfect physique" that a lot of people here are wanting in their class leaders/trainers.

This thread makes me sad, honestly.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If this thread shows anything it shows that the fitness and health have been well and truly hijacked by the "look this way" industry.

These areas are now just tarted up version of Grazie or Vogue where the way your body physically performs or functions seems to be far less important than the way it looks.

In the words of the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy:

where straight teeth in your mouth
    are more important than the words
    that come out of it...
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Well now it seems like you've quite contradicted yourself. You state that you want someone who is experienced and who can teach you correctly how to do something. What if the slightly overweight instructor has a ton of experience and is very knowledgeable in what they are doing? What if the instructor was on the thin side with no muscles but again, had knowledge and knew what they were talking about? Would you still not go to them based purely on looks?

On the flip side a person who is super buff and "looks the part" could have zero knowledge on what to do. Believe me I know instructors who are fit that know squat about what they are teaching.

So really, you can't judge a book by its cover.

I'm trying to see it your way. Really, excellent points. But be it shallow or naive; I still think it would deter me. I just want someone who looks as capable as they are. Horrible, I know. :(

I have yet to read the boxing page... Maybe it will convince me.
  • purplepenguins7
    purplepenguins7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've considered getting certified to teach Zumba because so many plus size friends tell me they would love to try, but they are intimidated by a skinny trainer. And I'm one of the best in my class even though I'm usually one of the largest! One friend jokes that "when I see skinny people at the gym, I feel bad about myself. I want to tell them, go home, you've made it! Let me get there, too!" The reality is feeling intimidated about your size and fitness level is a huge barrier to starting to exercise. So, if I see a larger instructor, it is inspiring to me. If he/she has enough stamina and experience to lead the class, it makes me feel inspired. If they can do it, so can I!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I would have negative thoughts about them. I would have doubts that they know what they are doing.
  • llamajenn
    llamajenn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What if these trainers have medical issues that prevent them from losing weight easily? PCOS, thyroid, etc? You never know what is going on in a person's life.

Exactly. And as others have mentioned, you never know if this person used to be a lot heavier and successfully lost weight. I work at a facility where there are a variety of shapes and sizes in the members and also instructors. People want a good workout. They want a motivating and inspiring instructor. Appearance helps but it's not everything. I've been surprised before when taking classes from a larger instructor who taught a killer class.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    But be it shallow or naive; I still think it would deter me. I just want someone who looks as capable as they are. Horrible, I know. :(

I don't think you're alone here.

I suspect the majority of people out there probably share the same view egged on by a "fitness" (and I use that term in a very loose way) industry which exploits these assumptions /prejudices to sell programmes, supplements and other useless paraphernalia.