I think my mother is trying to stop me from losing weight

Options
Whenever I start watching what I'm eating my mother always ends up buying tons of junk food for me. Things like Cake, Doughnuts, Tons of chocolate etc. She says she buys them because I like them, but I find it suspicious that she does it whenever I want to start losing weight. When I tell her to stop, she tells me to stop being ridiculous, and that I don't need to lose weight

I know that I can refuse what she buys, but then I'd feel bad for not eating any of it because she went to the trouble to buy it for me.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating them she'll stop buying them. There's nothing wrong with having some of this if it fits in your calorie budget but don't eat it if you don't want to or it's making you go over on calories.
  • supersmellyflower
    Options
    You could be ornery and take them, pretend to eat them, and throw them away instead. She will wonder how you are losing weight eating so much junk food!!! Haha.

Seriously though, you don't have to discuss it with her and make a "thing". Just don't eat them. If she asks, you aren't hungry.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Passive agressive. Tell her to stop and tell her you are not going to eat them so she is wasting money. She's your mom, she's not going to fire you because you stand your ground.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As a 25 year old man you need to take responsibility. Your mother is not force feeding you. You have the power to say no and explain to her why. Rather than blame your mother you make the choice do you want to lose weight? If the answer is yes you know what to do. If though you don't carry on but it's not your mother's fault.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start watching what I'm eating my mother always ends up buying tons of junk food for me. Things like Cake, Doughnuts, Tons of chocolate etc. She says she buys them because I like them, but I find it suspicious that she does it whenever I want to start losing weight. When I tell her to stop, she tells me to stop being ridiculous, and that I don't need to lose weight

I know that I can refuse what she buys, but then I'd feel bad for not eating any of it because she went to the trouble to buy it for me.

In another thread you say you are 5' 10" and 150lbs. Why are you trying to lose weight?
  • Phill2488
    Phill2488 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

In another thread you say you are 5' 10" and 150lbs. Why are you trying to lose weight?

Cause I'm not happy at this weight.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    25 years old why not move out and stop depending on your mom to buy you anything? Isn't it about time to grow up and start standing on your own as adult??? Also accept the personal responsibility on what you choose to eat.
  • Cera33
    Cera33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My mother is doing the same thing. I now take her shopping and show her what the "approved" snacks that I'm allowing near me and my son. It's helping and now she is starting to eat these "approved" snacks also. I like to call it a bait and switch. lol. But in all seriousness.....buy your own food and turn down what she's buying. If you want to get healthy and you got to have "junk food" there are healthy choices out there. Stay strong, my friend, I believe in you!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options

Listen to your mother. If you're 25 and can't see that what you're doing is the wrong solution, you need help getting on the right track.

Are you unhappy with your weight (the number on the scale) or the way you look and feel? If the number on the scale means the most to you, you're well on your way to getting a big problem so get help for it. If it's the way you look and feel, stop worrying about the scale, start lifting weights and adjust your caloric I take accordingly.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Lets switch mothers, my doesn't buy me anything :-)

I do know the feeling, every other time that I decided I would go on a "diet" it would coincide with my father making something that I absolutely adore. And I would eat way too much of it and the diet would stop right there.

This time though I'm buying my own food, ignoring whatever they prepare. They stopped suggesting I eat their food, they started cooking in smaller quantities, and there aren't as many sweets lying around the house any more (they still eat them, they just don't leave them everywhere). It took some time but we got used to it. It just takes a bit of willpower.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

Im 5'10" 150# female. Are you unhappy withy the weight (which is slim for a female) or your body composition?
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

Listen to your mother. If you're 25 and can't see that what you're doing is the wrong solution, you need help getting on the right track.

Are you unhappy with your weight (the number on the scale) or the way you look and feel? If the number on the scale means the most to you, you're well on your way to getting a big problem so get help for it. If it's the way you look and feel, stop worrying about the scale, start lifting weights and adjust your caloric I take accordingly.
    QFT!!!
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    you are 25.

you could move out and buy your own groceries.

just a thought

I had a mom, she tried to run my life, I didn't like it. I moved out and grew some balls.

it worked.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You are 25.... Man up...take responsibility for yourself. You control what you put in your mouth.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    M.T.F.U
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she's pretty good at her sick little game. You need to be coy and outsmart her. Your best strategy could be to lose weight covertly. Don't talk about weight, food, fitness, exercise, etc. Just go about your business. If anyone comments on your food choices, appearance, or exercise habits, play dumb or say "I like salad" or "Oh really?"

EDIT: Ignore everything above, I just read the post where you said you're 5'10" and 150 lbs. You don't need to lose weight. However, the above advice is good for people who do need to lose weight.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You're 25 years old! Just because it's in the house doesn't mean you have to eat it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

This. In another post you state that you are eating 1300 calories a day and on your splurge days you're eating about 1700 calories. You are going to need far more than that. You are not overweight, and if you are unhappy with how your body looks, you likely need to gain muscle mass not lose more weight. You need to look into a progressive resistance program. Your other post says you lift weights, so look into starting strength or strong lifts. Lift heavier weights, and eat more food.

And listen to your mother; it seems like in this case, she knows what she is talking about.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she's pretty good at her sick little game. You need to be coy and outsmart her. Your best strategy could be to lose weight covertly. Don't talk about weight, food, fitness, exercise, etc. Just go about your business. If anyone comments on your food choices, appearance, or exercise habits, play dumb or say "I like salad" or "Oh really?"
    Seriously? The 25 year old 5'10" male who weighs 150lbs needs to lose weight?
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

To play devil's advocate it's possible he's done the bolded and is trying to adjust his caloric intake. I'm 5'10.5" and hover around 150-155lb but am pretty much skinny fat, with not a lot of muscle mass and quite a lot of fat to lose still. Ideally I want to get down to ~12% bf or less before I start a slow bulk, and to do that it looks like I'll need to get down close to ~140lb. OP may ofc have a body image or eating issue but just based on the information he's supplied that's not a given.