I think my mother is trying to stop me from losing weight

Options

Replies

• RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It sounds like she's pretty good at her sick little game. You need to be coy and outsmart her. Your best strategy could be to lose weight covertly. Don't talk about weight, food, fitness, exercise, etc. Just go about your business. If anyone comments on your food choices, appearance, or exercise habits, play dumb or say "I like salad" or "Oh really?"
    Seriously? The 25 year old 5'10" male who weighs 150lbs needs to lose weight?

I only read the first post, not the entire thread.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    OK this is what I was wondering even on your goal it's 15 lbs. to lose and when you post on another thread that you are 5'10" and 150lbs the ideal wt. for a male of 25 yrs. is 158 - 170 (w/o muscular build) I can see why your mom thinks you don't need to lose wt. sounds to me like she is trying to find things that will keep you from being underweight....
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    For those insisting he should move out - maybe stop to consider it might be beyond him due to circumstances, finances, etc. Sadly, in this big bad world of ours, things go wrong in life and you need to rely on others for a while. Don't be so judgmental, unless you want people to look down at your whenever you require anyone's help.

Going back to the original question, you don't have to eat what people buy you - sorry, but that excuse about politeness/obligation/etc isn't going to wash. Either turn it down or as someone else has suggested, accept it and bin it. I appreciate that when something is placed in front of you it can be a challenge to your will power. Because it's supposed to be, nice stuff is always tempting. You just have to ask yourself what do you want more, to lose weight or to eat the sickly, nice things.

I completely understand about wanting to losing weight, even when you're at a weight others think you should be happy with. I've gotten as low as 9:9 lbs and felt like I'm too heavy, when you know - you just know. You just have to go steady with weight loss and you'll know when you've reached the right number. I'm going to avoid patronising you about eating disorders and credit you with enough intelligence to know what will be a good, healthy weight for you to be going off the mirror, scales and measurements. All the best.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    My mom used to buy me running shoes.
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You just have to go steady with weight loss and you'll know when you've reached the right number. I'm going to avoid patronising you about eating disorders and credit you with enough intelligence to know what will be a good, healthy weight for you to be going off the mirror, scales and measurements.

> implying that anyone who ever suffers from an eating disorder lacks intelligence? Nice.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You are 25.... Man up...take responsibility for yourself. You control what you put in your mouth.

I totally agree with this. You're an adult and you choose what to put in your mouth, not your mother. And you shouldn't feel bad about saying no to eating the junk food either. Why? Because she's an adult and she chooses what she buys, not you. Do you see how that works?
  • lotr4000
    lotr4000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Time to start building that muscle~! :) ( Which will make you look leaner overall, ( If that's what you're going for, it can also be used to bulk up and gain muscle definition, ooh baby lol ), but give you the strength for daily activities / emergency situations. :) )

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains

Also, I'd like to point out that saying "man up" is an engendered response, and not entirely pc.
    My gay brother in law is also very skinny, and would like to put on some muscle so that he looks more fit, and telling a person to man-up is just an easy way to answer without actually putting any thought into the situation while simultaneously putting the human you are responding to into your own little box. Plus, rude yo'.

Hang in there OP~! According to your BMI ( which is very accurate except for the malnourished or extreme bodybuilders, yay science! ), you are smack dab in the middle of the healthy range. So you're off to a great start already~!

Again, it's a range, so there's nothing wrong with wanting to reach the lower end of that range.
    But of course I've given you the link to Keto Gains because losing weight may make the scale drop, but gaining muscle will make you LOOK thinner, even though the numbers on the scale will rise a little.

It's all up to you and what you want to do. :)

As for your Mom, I've found that the best way to deal with passive aggressive people is to be very forthcoming with them.
    Have a brief but serious conversation with her, and tell her that "while you appreciate that she loves you enough the way that you are, you are currently unhappy and would like to change some things about your body", also that "you would really appreciate her support" and that "you need her to know that even if she buys junk food for you because she knows you like them, that you are going to have to stop eating those things for a little while to achieve the goals you want", and that it's "not forever, so don't worry."

Also, go into that conversation with a game plan. Hopefully this will ease her mind, and she won't think that you're on some kind of crash diet or aiming for an eating disorder.
    Know how long it might take you, what you need to do and eat to get there, and find a support group on Facebook that has real-time posts from users who share the same goals as you do. :)

You can do it, OP.
    Your age doesn't matter. What matters is strengthening and repairing the type of relationship you have with your mom, opening the lines of communication, and knowing when to say "no thank you" when you really need to.
    Good luck~! :)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start watching what I'm eating my mother always ends up buying tons of junk food for me. Things like Cake, Doughnuts, Tons of chocolate etc. She says she buys them because I like them, but I find it suspicious that she does it whenever I want to start losing weight. When I tell her to stop, she tells me to stop being ridiculous, and that I don't need to lose weight

I know that I can refuse what she buys, but then I'd feel bad for not eating any of it because she went to the trouble to buy it for me.

In another thread you say you are 5' 10" and 150lbs. Why are you trying to lose weight?

Gasp! Busted. Yeah, I wanna know why you want to lose wieght if you are 5'10" and 150. That's perfect.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You just have to go steady with weight loss and you'll know when you've reached the right number. I'm going to avoid patronising you about eating disorders and credit you with enough intelligence to know what will be a good, healthy weight for you to be going off the mirror, scales and measurements.

> implying that anyone who ever suffers from an eating disorder lacks intelligence? Nice.
    No, not at all - but if that's how you read that I'd probably be wasting my time explaining it to you. And I just don't care enough to want to.
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is entirely possible that he is unhappy with his body composition and wants to lose body fat and gain muscle. He could try to recomp, or he could try to lose the fat first, which would also result in losing weight, and then bulk later. Not all 5'10" 150lb bodies are the same by a long shot.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that you don't have to eat it. It's your choice what you eat. If it just sits there not being eaten, she will stop buying so much of it.

Another option (the one we use with the goodies my MIL pushes on us when we visit) is to wrap up individual servings and freeze them. So its, "Thanks MIL for the chocolate cake. It was thoughtful of you!". Then we bring it home, slice it up, wrap the slices in saran wrap, and pop them into the freezer. The fact that you need to defrost it before you eat it means you can't just mindlessly munch. I will have some cake sometimes. But its when I have the calories for it and I plan for it by defrosting the cake.
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You sound like my sister....always fussing at how every time she tries to lose weight, mom cooks her favorite meals and invites her over for dinner. My advice to my sister is always the same "just say no". Pretty simple...."sorry mom, I have plans tonight but how about you and dad coming over tomorrow night for some grilled salmon and fresh asparagus".

I live in a different state than my parents but recently went for a visit. Now according to my mom, she has stopped buying junk food and sweets because of my father's recent doctors' visit and being told he is borderline diabetic....however, I arrived at their house to find mom had gotten ice cream, 3 varieties of pound cakes and a huge blackberry pie to celebrate my 4 day visit. Now my mom knows that I have made changes to my eating habits (aka dieting) so my "sabotaging" alert button immediately began ringing in my ears. I quieted the alert by simply acknowledging that I had a choice...she wasn't going to force feed me this stuff....I had a choice. So when the pound cake and coffee got served for dessert, I opted out. When the ice cream got scooped and drizzled with Hershey's chocolate, I opted out....when the blackberry pie was sliced, I said "just a sliver" (ok...so I had a sliver of blackberry pie) but the point here is that you have choices...make them wisely!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start watching what I'm eating my mother always ends up buying tons of junk food for me. Things like Cake, Doughnuts, Tons of chocolate etc. She says she buys them because I like them, but I find it suspicious that she does it whenever I want to start losing weight. When I tell her to stop, she tells me to stop being ridiculous, and that I don't need to lose weight

I know that I can refuse what she buys, but then I'd feel bad for not eating any of it because she went to the trouble to buy it for me.

In another thread you say you are 5' 10" and 150lbs. Why are you trying to lose weight?

Cause I'm not happy at this weight.
    Im 5'10" 150# female. Are you unhappy withy the weight (which is slim for a female) or your body composition?

My thoughts exactly- i'm 5'8" and 160- and I think I look pretty dayum good.

I suspect you aren't happy with your body composition- do you work out? run? lift weights?

losing weight isn't always the answer- sometimes it's actually putting weight on i.e. building some muscle.

PS_ don't let your mom boss you around- you're a grown *kitten* man.
    man up and move out.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For those insisting he should move out - maybe stop to consider it might be beyond him due to circumstances, finances, etc. Sadly, in this big bad world of ours, things go wrong in life and you need to rely on others for a while. Don't be so judgmental, unless you want people to look down at your whenever you require anyone's help.

Going back to the original question, you don't have to eat what people buy you - sorry, but that excuse about politeness/obligation/etc isn't going to wash. Either turn it down or as someone else has suggested, accept it and bin it. I appreciate that when something is placed in front of you it can be a challenge to your will power. Because it's supposed to be, nice stuff is always tempting. You just have to ask yourself what do you want more, to lose weight or to eat the sickly, nice things.

I completely understand about wanting to losing weight, even when you're at a weight others think you should be happy with. I've gotten as low as 9:9 lbs and felt like I'm too heavy, when you know - you just know. You just have to go steady with weight loss and you'll know when you've reached the right number. I'm going to avoid patronising you about eating disorders and credit you with enough intelligence to know what will be a good, healthy weight for you to be going off the mirror, scales and measurements. All the best.

if that's the case and he's dependent upon her good graces for help,

then grow some gratefulness back and quit whining.

She's a MOM for crying out loud, she isn't trying to hurt him. Ignore the food, or move out.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

Cause I'm not happy at this weight.

OMG, then I know why she is doing what she is doing. My dad is 5' 8" and he got down to 150 at one point before the doctor said that was to much. He was way to skinny. At 5' 10", my height, nope, not gonna happen :noway:
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    So you're a 5'10" male who weighs 150. According to your profile, you're trying to lose 15 pounds, which would put you at 135 pounds, with a BMI of about 19. This is technically still in the healthy range for your height, but it's at the low end of the spectrum.

My thoughts on this scenario:

1. If I was your mother, I would worry about you trying to lose weight. I'm not sure if I would buy you junk food, but I can understand your mother's desire to entice you to eat more.

2. Are you sure you have a healthy idea of what you should look like? At 150 you are already at a healthy weight. Is it possible you need to talk to a professional about your body image?

3. If you really think you are "skinny fat," then perhaps a program of weight lifting is what you need. Eat lots of good food and lift heavy weights. Build muscle.

4. In my opinion, your calorie goal is too low for a man your height.

My thoughts. Take them or leave them. :flowerforyou:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and weigh 155. You gotta eat, homey. Lift, run, whatever, and eat more.
  • keitilee
    keitilee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My mom does the same thing! So much that I opted not to tell her I'm working out and such.
    But I was just complaining about this yesterday, that whenever I tell my mom I'm trying to lose weight, she makes brownies
    or cookies or anything fat, sweet, and triggering. And my uncle told me, "You have to have a stronger will than that," which actually
    encouraged me!

Just remember, anytime she buys this stuff...what's more important? Eating junk, or working toward your goal. She can't force you to eat them, so that's the good thing, only you can make yourself choose sweets over health.
    Like my uncle said, just have a stronger will, if you want to lose weight, make it happen!
    :)
  • keitilee
    keitilee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I'm a recovered bulimic and this kind of hurts to read...people suffer in different ways, maybe not something you agree with but doesn't mean it's not hard on the other person or makes them "less intelligent" than people who don't suffer that way.
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Does your mom buy all your food? Are you complaining because she only buys junk? You have someone grocery shopping for you!! Be thankful!!

Go thank and hug your mother. Learn to be grateful and don't eat what you don't want to.