Facial tattoos...

Replies

• Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    I definitely judge people based on all kinds of things. . from their choice of clothes to their speech to their general attitude toward the people around them. . A facial tattoo screams of poor planning or lack of ambition or just downright narcissism.

Now, when I say I "judge" people, it just means I develop an impression of them without getting to know them. That's the first step with any sort of personal interaction. A person develops an immediate first impression, then decides whether to pursue a more meaningful relationship. If my first impression of someone is very negative, I will probably avoid them. Is this somehow wrong? Doesn't a person with a facial tattoo want to express themselves in a certain overt way, and therefore don't they WANT to give a certain first impression?

That being said, if a guy with a facial tattoo was behind me in line at the grocery store and he was very friendly and he returned my dropped wallet to me. . I would have a very favorable attitude toward him as an individual. . and I would probably scold myself for having wrongly judged him when I first saw him. .
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    blah.. blah.. blah... folks that spout "The way it should be..." obviously have NO idea the way IT IS... Everyone is Employable... NOT everyone is EMPLOYABLE for EVERY Job... The Reality is.. a face tattoo WILL Limit the types of professions that person is likely to hold... Take a sample of some 10 000 doctoral students and I would bet.. less than .001 % would have a facial tattoo...and less than 10% a tattoo of any kind... NOW sample 10k folks working in the "trades" and I would bet.. the number climbs significantly...

fact is... the way IT IS... as an employee you represent your employer... so beyond a face tattoo... the way you dress, act, think, speak, will ALSO limit your employability...

That's odd. I know many Veterinarians. 75% of them(the ones I know) have tattoos and a couple of them have very large back/chest pieces. You'd never know the extent of it because generally in practice, you see them in lab coats. I've never seen a client balk at a DVM in scrubs with tatts showing though. In fact, they often have to beat clients off with a stick :laugh:

Having been in very casual social settings with them, I'm aware of most of their tattoos...ahem :blushing: and have never found them to be an issue as far as credibility.

Come to thing of it, two of them even have pretty large plugs.
    None of them have facial tattoos :wink:

My 25 yr old daughter has more than I can count & my 18 yr old son is the only one in our household who doesn't have them. Though it's on his bucket list.

Both kids have set their sights on Vet school by the way :bigsmile:

edited for typos
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    I will instantly make assumptions about you if you have a neck and/or facial tattoo and I won't care if I am right or wrong. You don't want to know me and I don't want to know you.

You, face tattoo wearer, make bad decisions.

Edit: Unless you are Maori or something. I understand the cultural significance and understand you are NOT an attention *kitten*. Still, good luck at tbe board meeting.

i have a nice big neck tattoo

hi

You make his point so elegantly!. well done!
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member

Not sure about how moral superiority or religious extremism enters into the job search equation. Probably best to leave your religion off your resume. Hope that helps. In any event, the Canadian professionals I've worked with are every bit as conservative (in dress and demeanor) as their American counterparts.

As for Japan being odd, you might want to turn on US cable or look at US Craigslist sometime.

Wait you don't understand why they would have anything to do with it? So then you don't understand the grounds by which people judge others. Subjective views on morality, ethics, and religion are huge factors when it comes to the judging of others. I might also add that the Canadian professionals you've met will more than likely dress to appeal those who will be formulating opinions on their professionalism based on their appearance. Canada was colonized by France and England, two nations known for being socially liberal.

Nice that you should point out our Craigslist...yup it's strange...because people in the US don't have as many options when it comes to satisfying some of their "weird" desires, kinks, fetishes, whatever you want to call it. Why? Because they're berated for not fitting into a mold.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    you probably own khakis don't you

problem?

e61dec9608ba8e817919a03507dcb7fa.jpg

am i suppose to find him appealing?

If you want? The pic was a response to your comment about the khakis being something only a vanilla person would wear.
  • JojoW8183

problem?

If you want? The pic was a response to your comment about the khakis being something only a vanilla person would wear.

LOL, I so agree on the khakis sentiment, unless it's cargo khakis combined with a Combichrist shirt and some combat boots. Sprinkle in some tattoos and phew, I'll sit in this corner fanning myself, lol.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    along the lines of tattoos, ive always said that people with ink on their hands are just on another level than i am in regards to how much they "care" what people think. to my own surprise, i have decided to get a decorative B on my left ring finger (wifes name is Beth). i haven't been wearing my ring, and i think a nice tattoo would be a nice substitute.
    My son has a few tatoos most are not visible and I accept them, wish he didn't have them but I am the mom I am entitled to want him unblemished. That said he now has a new tat on his left ring finger - his wife's name in a pretty script. I LOVE seeing that tatoo, he cannot wear his ring (he is an electrician) and I love this substitute - I was very quick to tell him. His declaration of love to this wonderful young lady means so much to her and to us.

this is great to read! thanks for sharing.
    i feel like im always taking my ring off for the gym, and ive seen too many images of degloved ring fingers on reddit (dont look it up if youre squeamish lol)
    i think its great that you can look past your initial reaction to tattoos and see your sons newest ink as a declaration of love for his wife.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Not sure about how moral superiority or religious extremism enters into the job search equation. Probably best to leave your religion off your resume. Hope that helps. In any event, the Canadian professionals I've worked with are every bit as conservative (in dress and demeanor) as their American counterparts.

As for Japan being odd, you might want to turn on US cable or look at US Craigslist sometime.

Wait you don't understand why they would have anything to do with it? So then you don't understand the grounds by which people judge others. Subjective views on morality, ethics, and religion are huge factors when it comes to the judging of others. I might also add that the Canadian professionals you've met will more than likely dress to appeal those who will be formulating opinions on their professionalism based on their appearance. Canada was colonized by France and England, two nations known for being socially liberal.

Nice that you should point out our Craigslist...yup it's strange...because people in the US don't have as many options when it comes to satisfying some of their "weird" desires, kinks, fetishes, whatever you want to call it. Why? Because they're berated for not fitting into a mold.

Enjoy your off topic diatribe about religion, ethics, and morality. Oh, and Canada.
  • SunofaBeach14

problem?

Judging is wrong only if it's judging those who choose to stick out.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    along the lines of tattoos, ive always said that people with ink on their hands are just on another level than i am in regards to how much they "care" what people think. to my own surprise, i have decided to get a decorative B on my left ring finger (wifes name is Beth). i haven't been wearing my ring, and i think a nice tattoo would be a nice substitute.
    My son has a few tatoos most are not visible and I accept them, wish he didn't have them but I am the mom I am entitled to want him unblemished. That said he now has a new tat on his left ring finger - his wife's name in a pretty script. I LOVE seeing that tatoo, he cannot wear his ring (he is an electrician) and I love this substitute - I was very quick to tell him. His declaration of love to this wonderful young lady means so much to her and to us.

this is great to read! thanks for sharing.
    i feel like im always taking my ring off for the gym, and ive seen too many images of degloved ring fingers on reddit (dont look it up if youre squeamish lol)
    i think its great that you can look past your initial reaction to tattoos and see your sons newest ink as a declaration of love for his wife.

About every other day I have to live heavy stuff at work and I don't wear my wedding ring or Aggie ring for work. For the reasons you mention:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    23 years ago, as a young mom, I was looking for a part time job to help with bills.

I worked in the Veterinary field & having had the benefit of working in small hospitals, I could work in the capacity of every support role.

The only opening was at the front desk at the time (Queens Blvd, Forest Hills).

They made me take out my teeny 2mm stud nose piercing =(

They said it made the clients 'uncomfortable'
    :huh:

Funny thing is that they hired me with it, and all was well until a female manager who only visited the FH office once weekly, decided she didn't like it.
    :angry:

I ended up leaving that job for another one, who's management had no qualms hiring me with my abhorrent facial jewelry :laugh:
  • JojoW8183

Enjoy your off topic diatribe about religion, ethics, and morality. Oh, and Canada.

image.jpg
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Hmm sometimes I feel I might be judged for not wearing makeup or doing my hair nicely. But then I remember that I never notice that about anyone else and I'm just judging myself.

ETA: I guess I can kind of see both sides of the face tattoo issue...

I work in a technical field. Having a tattoo doesn't mean you can't do math anymore. It can't detract from your problem solving skills.

However... it may detract from your marketing skills purely because appearance is part of marketing (which is why a boring add won't sell as much as a vibrant one - which interestingly is a bit of the reverse of a human face).

When I see a person with a face tattoo, I think "That person is bad***" but even if they were wearing a nice suit, I wouldn't immediately jump to "that person looks professional" - because I will notice the face tat first. I'd have to force myself to look past that tattoo to see the professional.

I would probably have to get to know the person better before it not having to be something I force myself to look past and have it be automatic. But I also kind of wonder if the person with the face tattoo would rather be seen as a bad*** first and a professional second. I wouldn't necessarily not hire someone because of a face tattoo... but they'd have to spend a bit more time in the interview letting me get to know them. And the unfortunate thing is that a lot of places have a time limit on interviews. The more time spent on convincing someone you're professional or a regular person socially (because of the bad*** impression of the face tat haha) is less time remaining to spend discussing what you can bring to the company in terms of skill and marketability. In the end it's a balance.

Also there are still a lot of old fashioned people out there, so it's going to be hard for now. But I also think the more people who do it, the more common place it becomes and the less stigma it receives. So I think someone else said it will just take time to not be discriminated against for a face tattoo, but it's probably only a few generations away that it'll seem fairly normal and not detract from professionalism.

ETA2:
    I just wanted to add that I think its common these days for people to have to teach themselves not to discriminate based on superficial things that don't (or shouldn't) affect job performance. People do this every day, I did while writing this post. Its what it takes to have our culture become less biased. It wasn't that long ago that people were discriminated VERY badly based on their skin colour. And while that discrimination is not gone, it IS significantly improved. So we're moving.. slowly, but we are moving in the right direction. And that new learning we're doing will transfer to other thing as well, and I think facial tattoos will be included in that learning.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    "He was getting pizza plummer we should have gotti g to play plummer crakea ice ya"

I have no idea what that even means :huh:

That's exactly what I said.

Pretty sure it means: Do you even lift?
  • now I really want to get something on my face, like a butterfly coming out of my eye....
  • SunofaBeach14

image.jpg

I love misdirected anger in 30 somethings
  • you probably own khakis don't you

problem?

he can vanilla all over....... oh, wait, errr....
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    I noticed the attendant at the corner store seemed down so I inquired as to what was bothering him. He is probably about 25 or so and has tats all over him, including covering his neck. He said that he can't get going in any careers because no one wants to take on someone with all of the tattoos he has. He stated he was just a stupid kid when he got all the work done and now can't make enough money to get the extensive laser treatments it would require to get them removed. Sad stuff. As adults we must all realize the consequences of our actions and understand the real-world ramifications those actions may have on unexpected aspects of our lives, even if we don't agree with them. As parents, we need to teach our children, starting at a young age, to make good decisions based on all good and bad, present, and possible future consequences.

^ This for the real world.

This doesn't apply to all.
    Is it really that rare to have a real career and be tattooed?
  • JojoW8183
    I love when people mistake the desire to provide contrasting view points with anger simply because it doesn't fit into their own social constructs :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    My thing about facial tattoos is how the person dealt with the pain because I'm a pain wuss. Mostly, I don't care.