I don't like veg

Options

Replies

• bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you want to be healthy, eat some vegetables. Teach your palate.

If you want to be healthier, eat less crap.

You're an adult. Eat some vegetables.

Steamed broccoli is one of the most awesome foods ever.

Give this a read:

http://summertomato.com/learning-to-love-foods-you-dont-like/

ps: I recently taught myself to like mushrooms. Finally.

No, I'm an adult so I can eat what I think tastes good! Trust me, I've always been in good health without them and I could eat them all day and never be satisfied because they taste so disgusting to me! It really isn't a SIN not to eat vegetables!
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My vegetable palate is pretty limited, but I love red bell peppers and cucumbers, with or without hummus. It's a start.

Sugar snap peas?

I can eat spinach, especially with mandarin oranges and grilled chicken.

That's about the limit of the veggies I enjoy. I eat those and apples and berries, and don't beat myself up about not liking more veggies.

They do make a shredded vegetable slaw (shredded broccoli stalks and carrots); I'm going to try that. My roommate loves it. :-/.

factoid, bell peppers and cucumbers are fruits. :) but they are delicious and nutritious and nutrients are nutrients.
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't like veggies either, and I don't eat them lol, I don't make myself eat anything I don't like, I know that's probably not the healthiest but whatever, I do like butter beans, as long as the cooked in bacon grease!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I also misread this topic.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you don't like veggies, don't eat them. There are plenty of other ways to get the nutrients in them.

Trying to force yourself to eat foods you don't like is a sure way to relapse and gain back the weight: eventually you're going to stop eating them in favor of foods you prefer instead.

Everybody is different, and there's no rule that says you HAVE to eat vegetables no matter what anyone tells you. Work with what works for you. If you're OK with taking a vitamin and/or fiber supplement or two instead, then do that. The key is to find a lifestyle and diet regimen you can (and WILL) stick with for a lifetime.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    What is veg?
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you don't like veggies, don't eat them. There are plenty of other ways to get the nutrients in them.

Trying to force yourself to eat foods you don't like is a sure way to relapse and gain back the weight: eventually you're going to stop eating them in favor of foods you prefer instead.

Everybody is different, and there's no rule that says you HAVE to eat vegetables no matter what anyone tells you. Work with what works for you. If you're OK with taking a vitamin and/or fiber supplement or two instead, then do that. The key is to find a lifestyle and diet regimen you can (and WILL) stick with for a lifetime.

^THIS. It is true, it has happened to me. Hated forcing myself to eat vegetables and I ended up eating what I really wanted to anyway. Good advice.
  • rayone
    rayone Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i don't like veggies either (i'm a really picky eater) so its been a struggle because I know they are good for me but I just can't get them down. Most of the times its a texture thing for me also so soups and heavily roasted/steamed ones turn me off (they just taste like mush). So i try to keep them more on the roasted side. Find a flavor you like... garlic flavored or something and start with those seasonings when you cook them (lightly roast.. never steamed). I also make a smoothie in the morning and hide my spinach and kale behind the strawberry taste. I have generous friends so when i'm to eat I will ask to taste whatever they have so I'm not wasting my money on something I'm not going to eat. Juicing is also really good, but make sure its a juice and not a puree b/c the texture thing will get you there too. Hiding them in pasta is also really good.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options
    Um..I misread the topic.....

**backs out slowly**
  • danni2110
    danni2110 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for you messages
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how someone can dislike an entire food group, especially one with so much variety.

That said, I've read that food aversions can have nothing to do with food, really, and are really about deeper psychological issues. No, I'm not suggesting you're crazy, but at some point maybe certain textures and flavors came to be associated with negative physical reactions...that's real and probably treatable. Talk to you doctor and see if you can get a recommendation for someone who specializes in these things.

Good luck.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

30 years old and I've sworn off avacado/guac my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE- adamantly ... and I'm now started eating it- and I almost like it.

You can change- you just gotta try.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Give this a read:

No, I'm an adult so I can eat what I think tastes good! Trust me, I've always been in good health without them and I could eat them all day and never be satisfied because they taste so disgusting to me! It really isn't a SIN not to eat vegetables!
    Calm yourself.
    I never said it was a sin.
    Eat em or don't. :indifferent:
    and
    Best of luck with your lifelong journey.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

30 years old and I've sworn off avacado/guac my WHOLE ENTIRE LIFE- adamantly ... and I'm now started eating it- and I almost like it.

You can change- you just gotta try.
    Avocados are a gift from God. Congrats on adding them. I added mushrooms at the tender age of 49.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Get a good blender, 1.5 cups frozen fruit, 1 cup coconut milk or water, a little honey (about a tsp) to sweeten it, and throw in 3 cups of spinach and blend. Good stuff. You cannot taste the spinach at all.

I'm someone who prefers starchy veggies, like potatoes (russet and sweet) and corn, but I decided that I had to do something to get leafy green veggies in. So I started juicing, but I got sick of doing that. So I moved onto green smoothies. Best decision ever. Bc they also help me hit my protein goals b/c I can add protein powder to it.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I sneak so many vegetables into my pasta sauces! No one ever knows, but it's requested by family often.

I really hate the texture of overcooked veggies. I find it appalling. I get around this by grilling or roasting everything! You just have to try new and different prepqrations that you find most palatable.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Give this a read:

This. I don't like going to the dentist or mowing the lawn or paying for my car insurance, but sometimes you just gotta suck it up because you're an adult and you're responsible for your own life/body/insurance premiums. Good luck.

ETA: Or, you know, just don't eat them. You're free to do that too. Your health might suffer in the long run, or it might not, but as long as you're aware of that and go forth anyway, you have the right to make that choice.

Eating high volume, low calorie, fiberous foods everyday (aka/vegetables) is something that will help me keep weight off. It's not free food, but it sure goes a long way.

OR I can just give up trying anything new......and eat small portions of everything I (will) eat for the rest of my life. It's up to you.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I didn't read that an E.

WHEW! I thought I was the only one misreading that vowel...
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type you use and how you prepare them. I began liking vegetables a lot more when I started eating fresh veggies instead of canned or frozen. Then, I stopped boiling them. Nothing is more boring to me than a boiled vegetable. I began roasting them (toss them in olive oil and spices and bake in the oven), sauteeing them in olive oil and garlic, including them in soups and stews and chilis, putting them in quiches, and looking up plenty of low carb or South Beach veggie recipes online. I found recipes for broccoli salad with lowfat cheese and turkey bacon, mashed cauliflower with lowfat cheese and turkey bacon (it tastes like loaded mashed potatoes), parmesan roasted zucchini and lots of other good recipes. If you try different things, you will find something you like.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, so I get it. Up to about 3 years ago, most of my veggie consumption came from cans, and I was never thrilled about those overcooked mushy things.

Since then though I slowly started adding fresh veggies in, and now I'm hooked. There are still some you would have to tie me down and force feed me (like acorn squash...ick), but for the most part I find merit in most veggies. It just takes time. Experiment with one veggie at a time. Fix it in different ways. Some I prefer roasted (like carrots, brussel sprouts, squash, sweet potato, beets, broccoli, etc.) and some raw (cucumbers, tomatoes, greens, garlic, onion, asparagus, red bell pepper, spinach, kale, cauliflower, etc.), some oven fried (eggplant, squash, sweet potato, etc.) And if you need to mask the flavor/texture, just about all are good blended into smoothies and sauces. Cucumber was something I just didn't get, but I made my self eat it. Over time, it's become one of my favorites (especially the English and Armenian varieties) and eaten just about every day.