"All About That Bass" Rant

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Blurred Lines was a hit song about date rape. There's another song out by a lovely gent who brags about putting molly in women's drinks and having his way with them without them remembering.

But you ladies keep right on being outraged if someone called you fat/thin. The struggle is no doubt real.

I also take issue with Robin Thicke and his d**chebaggery. Shall I rant about him as well? I'll need more time than just a free afternoon. :laugh:
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I got into it with someone the other day about this song for pretty much the same reasons.

It coincided with them giving me **** for buying size 2s actually.

(It is stupidly catchy, though)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My sister and I were just talking about this song yesterday. We both actually like the song, and I think the video is cute.

But there are certainly things about the lyrics that rub me the wrong way; for instance, the phrases "skinny *****es", "stick figure silicone barbie doll", and "all the right junk in all the right places". What is "the right junk"? And where are "the right places" to have that junk? Is there a wrong place?

I think it's great when media can send a positive message and help women feel more confident about themselves and their bodies. I'm not sure that "All About That Bass" is 100% positive. Up until this year, I spent all of my adult life in the overweight or obese category, so I can certainly relate to the need to embrace your "curves", but for me, it's kind of along the same lines as the whole "real women have curves" thing, as if some physical attributes are more real or womanly than others.

It's not the biggest deal ever, but it does kind of irk my tater. Rather than worrying about whether I have more or less booty for the boys, I'd rather just focus on loving and celebrating my body regardless of its size or shape.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of listening to the radio last week and heard this song for the first time and it's been stuck in my head ever since. This is why I listen to death metal. No body shaming, they just talk about brutally killing people of all shapes and sizes.

Plus I don't get her annoying voice stuck in my head. Make it stop, please. :(

I like you...........Papa Roach, Last Resort rocks. And believe it or not, I've never wanted to kill myself.

Rock on! :flowerforyou:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    This is why I listen to songs about unicorns.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Don’t think her original lyrics are offensive? Show me ONE hypothetical situation in which calling a girl a “stick-figure silicone Barbie-doll” would not be inappropriate, impolite, or a just plain awful thing to say, and I will donate $200 cash to the charity of your choice.

It's appropriate when you're talking about Valeria Lukyanova ..

The November Coalition appreciates your donation.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I think it's a catchy tune. It makes me want to shake my size 2. I tend to not take everything in life so seriously, though. I am sure there are several men who are more attracted to "curvy" girls than they are to "skinny" girls and that's okay. Just like it's okay for a "curvy" girl to sing a song to other "curvy" girls about the things her mother told her to build up her self-confidence and know that even though she isn't "skinny" she will be able to find a man who appreciates what she has to offer physically. A great song would have been one in which the mother tells the girl how much men value wit, humor and intelligence over looks. Or better yet, that we should appreciate ourselves for who we are and not look for validation in how much men are attracted to us as women, but apparently we aren't there, yet.

Just wanted to say that a woman's worth is not in any way affected by any man's attraction to her or lack thereof, no more than her worth is affected by her size or shape.

I really hate this song, not only because of the body shaming message, but also I just find it annoying. Her baby-talk lisp grates on my nerves, and the chorus? I'm all about that bass...no treble? What the hell does "treble" even mean? Is that more body-shaming metaphor, or is it a metaphor for the type of men she hopes to attract? It makes no sense.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    This is why I listen to classic rock and country music. Both genres don't care what shape you are as long as you have a vagina and don't look like a foot.

Right. It's all pink on the inside...
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I like the song...we shake our BUTTS to it at Zumba...but I thought she was saying not all boys like skinny girls and since I got the BOOTAY, I was just fine with that.

There's a song out there talking about how "you can spend the night but it doesn't mean I want to be your wife"....I think something offensive can be found in about every song out there nowadays...
  • merechai
    merechai Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Funny you brought this up. I was just thinking when I heard it how sick I am of the whole "fat acceptance" trend that's taking place. Loving yourself is one thing, but being encouraged to stay unhealthy and "fine the way you are" is only increasing the problem.
    $.01 $.01

I AGREE! I am sick of the acceptance too! For me to change my lifestyle was to realise that its awful way of living to be overweight or obese (and by awful I mean an ungrateful, selfish, lazy, and ignorant). Personally I had to get to the point where I was disgusted with myself and how I looked. I know that may sound extreme but it was too easy to ignore how I looked and felt, not look in the mirror and try not to think about how unhealthy I was. It seems like there are two kinds of media on weight, that its not okay to be underweight and that its okay to be large but where's the highlight on being healthy?! Americans choose to ignore that we're the fattest, most unhealthy country on earth.
    There's a movie coming out called Fed Up and I can't wait for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUbvOwwfWM
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you.

I absolutely hate the song because it's effing horrible and the video is equally horrible. Music-wise. Not message-wise.

TBH I never read the lyrics until now (out of curiosity), but after reading them and your adapted version in the OP...yes, that is dead-on and either way body shaming is not okay or cool.

ETA: I am totally okay with fat acceptance, and I'm even on board with some aspects of HAES (health at every size) but to me that is NOT the same thing as talking smack about thin bodies. How about body positivity for all? That's what I think.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I fart unicorns.

Wait... something came out wrong here.
  • emkayelle91
    emkayelle91 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My thoughts may not be the popular opinion, but here they are: If someone is skinny, cool. If someone is curvy and they are happy with that, cool. Someone writes a song about being skinny, I don't cry about it. Someone writes a song how being curvy is in, I don't care. A song doesn't dictate how I feel about myself...if someone prefers a girl skinnier than me that's their choice, it doesn't bother me. If someone wants a girl that is 500lbs, okay go for it. Basically I don't let a song, a persons opinion, societies view of beauty etc, dictate how I feel. It's actually kind of amusing that a song can make someone so angry. Lol
  • wonderwoman325
    Options
    Love the song! It's on my workout song list. (Shake it shake it - get that calorie burn, oh yeah)
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

Unicorns are for ganstas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9d8Wn1Za4o
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    She doesn't once tear down anyone in that song. Are you mishearing lyrics or do you just interpret things in a certain way so you can rant?

I love you, but I too found this song to be catchy, but yes, tearing down smaller girls. I actually posted a blog about the same exact thing a while back. So did many other women who aren't curvy and also found this song catchy.
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My thoughts may not be the popular opinion, but here they are: If someone is skinny, cool. If someone is curvy and they are happy with that, cool. Someone writes a song about being skinny, I don't cry about it. Someone writes a song how being curvy is in, I don't care. A song doesn't dictate how I feel about myself...if someone prefers a girl skinnier than me that's their choice, it doesn't bother me. If someone wants a girl that is 500lbs, okay go for it. Basically I don't let a song, a persons opinion, societies view of beauty etc, dictate how I feel. It's actually kind of amusing that a song can make someone so angry. Lol
    This!!!
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the song either but maybe the reason is about our insecurities. I was in the car with three skinny 13 year old girls last weekend when this song came on and they turned it up and sang along. They didn't take offense at all. They love it!

I was all ready to have a talk with my daughter about it being ok to be skinny, turns out, I didn't have to. She never got that impression from the song.
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.