"All About That Bass" Rant

Options

Replies

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    OP how come you're not talking about Anaconda?

She literally says "*kitten* them skinny b*tches." That's way more offensive then All About That Bass.

Not familiar with that song or artist, sorry. Shrug.

Nicki Minaj - Anaconda. Look it up. Watch the music video if you dare. :laugh:
    That video kicks *kitten*.
  • enitsirhck
    enitsirhck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think its more telling that the lyrics equate the level of acceptability of a body type with what "men" or "boys" want. If I listened to what my husband said about how I look I'd still be overweight and miserable with myself. The only opinion I care about is MINE.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    My girls (9 and 7) like the song and asked what it was about.

I said that she is saying that it is perfectly ok to love yourself as you are. That you don't have to look like a barbie doll (whose proportions are almost biologically impossible naturally anyways). I told them that beauty is not something that is tied to body size, and neither is being loved.

I told them that they need to realize that they are beautiful as they are - the size and shape they are - and that being healthy is far more important than fitting into a specific size or shape.

I think the song is catchy and fun, and it was a great teaching moment.

But maybe that's me.

/end thread
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard the song in question

Don't listen to it! Save yourself from the mental torture of it being stuck in your head for days and days.....and days.....

*sobs*

Seriously. It's a pretty serious earwig. You'll be luck if you ever obtain the escape velocity to exit its gravity.
  • worldendswithme
    Options
    I think you took a Top 40 pop song a little too seriously... :tongue:

Really couldn't care less if larger women want to say "large is beautiful". I don't feel body-shamed by phrases like "skinny *****es". However, your parody line about chugging soda pop is not even a little bit close in meaning, or intention with the original line regarding magazine's overuse of Photoshop. You were going for the rhyme, I guess? :wink:
  • searsvls
    searsvls Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    FYI..this topic went a lot longer than I thought.

IT IS A POP SONG. Half the crap playing on the radio today makes no sense so why are we all on here dissecting it so much? Should we not be out running or lifting or weighing food or something useful.

Now I am gonna go listen to some Johnny Cash..later all

This is the best line yet!!!
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    I agree with you!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OP how come you're not talking about Anaconda?

She literally says "*kitten* them skinny b*tches." That's way more offensive then All About That Bass.

Not familiar with that song or artist, sorry. Shrug.

Nicki Minaj - Anaconda. Look it up. Watch the music video if you dare. :laugh:
    That video kicks *kitten*.

Whoooooaaaaaaa.....
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

Really couldn't care less if larger women want to say "large is beautiful". I don't feel body-shamed by phrases like "skinny *****es". However, your parody line about chugging soda pop is not even a little bit close in meaning, or intention with the original line regarding magazine's overuse of Photoshop. You were going for the rhyme, I guess? :wink:

Strong first post, young grasshopper.
  • release_the_kraken
    Options

IT IS A POP SONG. Half the crap playing on the radio today makes no sense so why are we all on here dissecting it so much? Should we not be out running or lifting or weighing food or something useful.

l.jpg

AMEN!
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a 14 on average....
    Victorian Age women were an average of 14...
    All the best breast sizes are on 14....

14 is perfect...
    Oh don't be daft. You really don't want to pull out the Marilyn Monroe argument. She was NOT a modern size 14.

And there is no across the board "perfect" it's individual preference.

::Applause::
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard the song in question

Don't listen to it! Save yourself from the mental torture of it being stuck in your head for days and days.....and days.....

*sobs*

Agreed. It's a terrible, terrible song.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I mean, her other song out right now (Title) is all about withholding sex till the dude gives her the title "girlfriend". The day I look to pop music for my ideas about body positivity and relationships is probably the day I should put rock in my pockets before I go play in the ocean.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If you actually want to engage in a real conversation about this issue, I'll leave this link here:

Why the Phrase ‘Skinny B*tches’ Isn’t Nearly as Problematic as You Think It Is
    http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/09/skinny-b*tches/

(You may have to refresh the link if you get a 404 error - the last word in the url is the b-word, plural)

My favorite section from the article:

"And when we talk about the difference between skinny-shaming and fat-shaming, the difference is that while skinny-shaming may be tied to sexism, fat-shaming exists at the intersection of sexism and fatphobia.

The intersection of fatphobia and sexism matters, and we can’t discuss the problem of fat-shaming without including both types of oppression.

So if you want to argue that the phrase “skinny *****es” isn’t advancing the body-positive movement, I can get down with that. But if your argument is that it’s “just as bad” as fat-shaming language, then you’re missing an important puzzle piece: that fatphobia adds an additional layer of oppression."

Other than trolling or intentionally causing a *kitten* storm, if you actually want to learn why skinny shaming is NOT the same as fatphobia, read the article.
  • LadyHobbledehoy
    LadyHobbledehoy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is why I listen to songs about unicorns.

Yep.

http://youtu.be/eWM2joNb9NE
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options
    I mean, her other song out right now (Title) is all about withholding sex till the dude gives her the title "girlfriend". The day I look to pop music for my ideas about body positivity and relationships is probably the day I should put rock in my pockets before I go play in the ocean.

Love this! :heart:
  • jc_0324
    Options
    I like the song and I like the meaning behind it. Just because someone is "bigger" doesn't necessarily mean they're unhealthy.

IMO, the song is saying to love yourself no matter what your size. I don't hear it saying, be a pig, eat all you want and don't exercise.

Just my .02 cents
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Strong first post, young grasshopper.

So body shaming is wrong, even if it's one line in a pop song. But it's ok for you to put other people down for not having a high enough post count?

Where did I put her down? I said it was strong!

Also, it it was not just one line. Do your homework, skippy.
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options

l.jpg

Awesome!? ^
This discussion has been closed.