"All About That Bass" Rant

Options

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    OP how come you're not talking about Anaconda?

She literally says "*kitten* them skinny b*tches." That's way more offensive then All About That Bass.

Not familiar with that song or artist, sorry. Shrug.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    lol the things that get people all riled up. thats why i like my dub warbles are not offensive
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Um... try not to take it so personally or seriously :huh:

In my opinion both the skinny shaming and fat shaming groups need to take a chill pill, relax and enjoy their lives and their music. I honestly doubt she was trying to say she hates skinny girls. I think she was trying to say she isn't going to try to be skinny for a man's benefit and that her mom said she should love her body no matter what size. Not all music has to be taken in its most literal sense.

THIS!!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

She literally says "*kitten* them skinny b*tches." That's way more offensive then All About That Bass.

nicki minaj butchering the **** out of a sir mix alot sample. It's painful.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a 14 on average....
    Victorian Age women were an average of 14...
    All the best breast sizes are on 14....

14 is perfect...

Marilyn Monroe had a 24-inch waist. My 30-inch waist is a modern size 8.

Our art museum had a Hollywood Costume exhibit recently and the infamous white dress was there (only one behind glass) and it was tiny, especially the waist. It was interesting to see how small some of the costumes were. Kiera Knightly was probably the smallest of the modern day actresses.

As for music, there are many songs that people argue the lyrics "could be" about rape (in reference to Blurred Lines comment). Some argue the, "did she put up a fight" in Grease's Summer Loving implies it. People argue that Baby It's Cold Outside is about rape. "Say, what's in that drink?" as she keeps trying to leave. There's many more but those are just a few examples. Most music is bound to be interpreted many ways and sometimes I listen to lyrics and go, wait, that's what they say? This happens to songs I love from being an 80's child. I grow up and realize how sexual or drug related it is. :wink:
  • LaReinaDeCorazones
    Options
    WHY then, I ask you is it not only ok, but LAUDED for an artist to say the exact opposite? It’s ok to broadcast that curvy girls are prettier and more “chased” by boys, but absolutely verboten to say that skinny girls are more desirable? Lolwut?

Said artist has obviously never browsed a Victoria's Secret or seen the cover of a Sports Illustrated magazine. You don't have to be that lean or thin to be pretty but let's not confuse facts with the lyrics of a song.

ku-xlarge1.jpg
    Lolz
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

yeah I'd go look that one up- it really is significantly more offensive .. .and I'm not particularly offensible.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a 14 on average....
    Victorian Age women were an average of 14...
    All the best breast sizes are on 14....

14 is perfect...

Vanity sizing gets us every time. A size 14 then is equal to a size 2 now. We know this because one of Marilyn's dresses was recently auctioned and was put on a size 2 mannequin. Clothing manufacturers keep edging up the actual size of clothing while making the number smaller in order to boost women's egos...if you try on two dresses that fit, but one is an 8 and the other is a 10, we're much more likely to buy the 8 just for the ego boost. A year or two later, that same dress will be sold as a 6.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I prefer music that makes people hate themselves and everyone else.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    FYI..this topic went a lot longer than I thought.

IT IS A POP SONG. Half the crap playing on the radio today makes no sense so why are we all on here dissecting it so much? Should we not be out running or lifting or weighing food or something useful.

Now I am gonna go listen to some Johnny Cash..later all
    l.jpg
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    She doesn't once tear down anyone in that song. Are you mishearing lyrics or do you just interpret things in a certain way so you can rant?

THIS

It's an attack on the beauty industry. not skinny girls.
    When fashion magazines are photo shopping Kim Kardashian or Jennifer Lawrence to make them look thinner, we have a problem, and that's what this song addresses.
    It isn't hating on thin ladies. I'm for women supporting women but the issue is, only recently have we had any women above a certain size being used in mainstream media therefore there was going to be a backlash from women who don't look like what they've had shoved down their throats.

I find your post very sad, OP.

Finally a voice of reason!! I agree! I find this song supportive of females. Period! Acceptance & self love should not be a bad thing. My friends 12 yr old daughter & her friends love this song & see it for what it is. A happy uplifting song supporting other females.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite songs is offensive to pretty women...

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
    Never make a pretty woman your wife
    So for my personal point of view
    Get an ugly girl to marry you
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options

I thought that was a command.

Haha pretty sure it's not. :laugh:
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard the song in question, but no, it wouldn't bother and/or offend me now, or when I was at my highest weight of 400lbs. It's music. I don't believe in any form of censorship when it comes to our arts, and yes, music, whether or not I believe the artist in question is any good or not, is an art, and we don't need to be censoring their creativity. Just like when you're looking at pieces of art. There are times that a piece of art will provoke strong feelings in people. It will anger one person, make another cry feeling overwhelmed with sadness, or grief, while another will think it's the most beautiful piece they've ever seen, because they realize the depth and message the artist is conveying, and perhaps, can relate to the thought process.

Am I going to say it would be something I'd listen to? No. Do I think the lyrics are in great taste? No. Then again, throughout the history of music, there have been a great many songs that haven't been either. Even the king of feel good and love songs, Jim Croce wrote "Nobody Loves A Fat Girl". There have been songs written not only about women either glorifying a certain body size, but also demeaning body sizes and women in general. Minorities, religion(s), cops, drugs, alcohol, violence, sex, sexuality, abuse, current events, history, celebrities, there's nothing off limits in music, and will range from inspiring to jaw dropping.

I agree, there are things that that should potentially be listened to be more mature audiences, especially those with content that deals with graphic/explicit lyrics, but I can't see telling someone they can't write or sing what they feel inspired to. Someone will always be offended, no matter what it is, right or wrong.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

yeah I'd go look that one up- it really is significantly more offensive .. .and I'm not particularly offensible.

Let's not distract folks with a false dichotomy. Just because another song might be "more" offensive, that has no bearing on whether or not the subject of this thread is offensive.

Body shaming is offensive. The song does give the impression that skinny shaming is part of it's message, although I understand that may not have been the artist's intention.
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Nicki Minaj - Anaconda. Look it up. Watch the music video if you dare. :laugh:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Let's not distract folks with a false dichotomy. Just because another song might be "more" offensive, that has no bearing on whether or not the subject of this thread is offensive.

Body shaming is offensive. The song does give the impression that skinny shaming is part of it's message, although I understand that may not have been the artist's intention.

Thank you. That is exactly my point. :flowerforyou:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    Options

Nicki Minaj - Anaconda. Look it up. Watch the music video if you dare. :laugh:

Thanks, I'll pass. Minaj does not impress me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I thought that was a command.

Haha pretty sure it's not. :laugh:

and now I'm sad, and let down.

Damn society and mixed messages.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard the song in question

Don't listen to it! Save yourself from the mental torture of it being stuck in your head for days and days.....and days.....

*sobs*
This discussion has been closed.