5'8 with large frame---how much should I weigh??

Options
Im a large frame 5'8. I have a goal of 160lbs. I try to eat 1300-1500 calories a day and exercise 30-60 min a day. The scales aint movin much. I was wondering if anyone else with my body type has this kind of trouble. Will my legs and butt ever get smaller...lol??
Any tips on getting this last 20 lbs off??

Replies

• melindabrock
    melindabrock Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Id like to know as well Im the same build! Id just like to get back into onderland right now ha
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What ever you are happy with. Don't focus on the scale, focus on how you look and feel, when you are happy with that, step on the scale, that is how much you should weigh.

There is a general rule of thumb that a woman at 5' "should" weight 100lbs and add 5 lbs/inch, so at 5'8" that would be 140lbs, but if larger frame or carry a decent amount of muscle add 10%, so 154... your ideal may be higher or lower than that number so don't put much stock into it
  • smelanie504
    Options
    Well, I'm 5'7" with a large frame and I'm aiming for 160. Not sure if that helps but there ya go! :)
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" with a normal frame, so I don't think I could be helpful in giving you advice.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Have you found out your BMR or TDEE? Are you weighing all your food carefully?

You may need to be actually eating more if you are as active as you say you are.

I workout 5 days a week, plus walking daily and I eat anywhere between 1700-1900 calories and have consistently lost. (BTW, I'm just shy of 5'9, so we're similar heights.)
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and I have the same goal of 160lbs. No clue if I will get there. I am currently at 175 and I look pretty great with clothes on. I think 160 may actually be too little for my frame since my goal is to lower body fat but not look anorexic. Going by Body Fat % is going to be way more helpful for determining a healthy end weight.

PS. I aim to eat 1800 cals although these days I am eating an average of 2250 which is maintenance for me. If you have hit a wall, try taking a diet break, eating more, and/or focusing on weight/strength training. You will only gain eating more if your metabolic burn is less than you eat in fuel. At 5'8" your BMR is in the 1600 range probably and TDEE around 2150 depending on other factors.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    What ever you are happy with. Don't focus on the scale, focus on how you look and feel, when you are happy with that, step on the scale, that is how much you should weigh.

There is a general rule of thumb that a woman at 5' "should" weight 100lbs and add 5 lbs/inch, so at 5'8" that would be 140lbs, but if larger frame or carry a decent amount of muscle add 10%, so 154... your ideal may be higher or lower than that number so don't put much stock into it
    this
  • nwoww
    nwoww Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am your same height and same build, with about the same amount of weight to lose after having my son 6 months ago. I know that I looked and felt great at 160. I'm very active and carry a decent amount of muscle though, so depending on body composition, you may feel differently. I always tell people I want to get to 160 or 165 and I will re-evaluate how I feel as I go along:)
  • HollyB1223
    HollyB1223 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am the same, would LOVE to get down to 160 again but it seems like a dream. Just 30 lbs but my scale will not budge.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your diary. The couple of days I looked at it looks like you are at 1300 calories or fewer. That may be low for you. Have you calculated your TDEE? You can just Google TDEE calculator. Take your TDEE minus 20 percent and that's a pretty good goal for your calories. I'm guessing you are a little low.
    Have you tried doing any weight or resistance training? An increase in muscle will help burn calories and weight / resistance training helps maintain your lean body mass while losing body fat.
  • ncbeachybum
    ncbeachybum Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am same height and weight with same goal as well. I, too am active and carry a bit of muscle. I look pretty great at 175ish, but I do wanna get to 160. I've already lost 20 ish. Feel free to add me if you like. Maybe we can motivate one another.
  • cocoinnyc
    Options
    I am 5'7 1/2 and my lowest was 150. Loved the way I looked but I gained weight and then had a baby. Looking back I would be happy with 175. my butt and thighs and calves will never be small and of course my body has changed so much after having a baby. What has been your lowest weight or have you always been the weight you are now? Just wondering if you have a frame of reference to work with! I agree...the scale is not always the best measure. as long as you are fit and healthy!
  • julieelizabeth7
    Options
    Hi I am in a similar boat with this weight plateau. It's horrible to do everything right and just not see the results you want. My mom has diabetes and is always warning me to beware of what I am eating because I am predisposed to it. Try looking at the kinds of foods your eating. Sometimes all calories are not created equal. Myfitnesspal is amazing at tracking more than just calories, look to see if you are over the amount of sugar and fat for the day as well. Sugar is the ultimate evil and not just for those with diabetes. Our bodies aren't made to process refined sugar and keep trim figures. Maybe some people can eat sugar rich foods and go to the gym with adequate results, but for me and my genetics, that's not going to work. Try watching the documentaries: Hungry for change and Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. -- Happy health!
  • Sophie_Tomarkin
    Options
    To the guy who said women at 5' 'should' weigh 100 and go up from there...that rule of thumb would put women at a BMI of 19.5...not underweight, but on the line. I'm 5'0 and the healthiest I've felt is at 110. As an adult, the least I've weighed was 104, but it was when I was too stressed to eat, and I felt weak and sickly.

If you're eating well and exercising then you're probably either plateauing at a healthy weight for your body (or have a thyroid condition?). But FWIW, extra thigh/butt weight isn't a health concern. It can make pants difficult, but the only weight that actually endangers one's health is excess around your organs, so, stomach area weight.
  • j_arens
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and started at 178 and am now at 119. I think I am now probably what most people would consider thinner than what they'd like to be, and I'm not suggesting this weight for you (or anyone else), but that's besides the point haha.

The point I wanted to make was that I'd advise against quickly writing yourselves off as having a "large frame." I always thought when I was 5'7 and wearing a 12/14 that I simply had a large frame because I was carrying so much extra weight. My shoulders seemed so much bigger, as did my hips, butt, thighs, etc. I noticed, however, if you lose enough weight, somehow your frame doesn't seem so big anymore. Yes, some people do have higher muscle mass percentages if they lift weights very regularly but that is very different from your frame.

Just something to consider.
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm

I've always used that chart. My Doctor gave me the link years ago when I started losing weight. I'm 5'4 and my lowest was 138lbs. (I have a large frame) but I was too thin. I am aiming on going for 140-145. I think there has to be a medium somewhere. Not too thin, but don't want to be at the high end either.
  • saraslim75
    Options
    I am 5'8" with a larger frame as well. Last spring I was on my way to weighing 180 lbs and decided a change was needed. I work a desk job and NEVER exercised. I started the Couch to 5K app and did an AB challenge. I also quit drinking coffee (two table spoons of sugar!) and drinking alcohol (again sugar and empty calories). I also didn't adhere to a real diet at all, just ate most of my carbs in the morning, a salad for lunch and then ate a lean protein and double vegetables at dinner. No late night snaking. I lost 40 lbs in a little over 9 weeks!!! I just started using MFP because I gained a bit back and needed to get back on track. Good luck :)
  • jasmine_noel
    jasmine_noel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    160 (I'm close to 5'9") is a goal for me as well, which is the very top of any BMI table. Body fat % measurements are more important to me at this point than the scale moves pretty slowly and with exercise, change is happening, just not much weight.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 with a pretty athletic build and I'm sitting at 150...there's another 5 lbs on my ticker but I'm quite comfortable where I'm at now!
  • SarahWSU36
    SarahWSU36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think that it is where you feel the most comfortable. I am 5'8" and at 180, I looked like a bit of a bobble head. I think that 190 would be ideal for my frame and big head and that would put me at about a size 10.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!