Almond vs soy milk

Options

Replies

• ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have heard that soy products can be linked to cancer (not sure if this is true) and I never liked the taste.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    should be in the food and nutrition section of the forum.
    as far as nutrition, there really isnt too much of a difference. with soy, i know some people dont like to use it much bc there have been studies (apparently) that show it may cause cancer, or can at least increase risk of breast cancer bc of estrogen. i try not to have soy often just bc there it is an irritant with my bladder and does not react well with me. but if you can digest it without problems, theres really nothing wrong with it. i personally love coconut milk.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Soy is bad for you in large quantities, doesn't matter what form- especially of you consume it often, it increases your chances of breast cancer. Soy foods such as edamame contain phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) that disrupt the balance of testosterone and estrogen which can effect your libido and for men cause cause sexual dysfunction. Based on dietary guidelines, eating more than 25 grams of soy per day is not recommended.Some studies say that soy can be quite detrimental to your health, and that the isoflavones can interfere with your endocrine system and hormone balance. This can possibly reduce fertility in women, contribute to premature puberty, and has even been linked to certain cancers and conditions like gyecomastia (male breast development) when consumed in large amounts. Soy products are very high in phytic acid, which can interfere with mineral absorption.
    Limit how much you have it, never eat it raw, your body can't digest it when it's raw and it screws with your body big time, some people experience nausea/vomiting/etc. Do note that soy is used in many products you already consume, just look at the labels, soy is used to preserve burgers, etc, so you maybe be consuming more than you think.
  • angelthine
    Options
    The whole soy milk thing is getting to be quite a mystery. I recently googled soy milk and there was an article saying that soy milk is keeping us fat. It also said that soy milk has more chemicals, pesticides, and indigestible products than any other food. I have been drinking soy milk my whole life and have just now started drinking lactose free milk instead. I hate the taste of the lactose free milk, but it's only in coffee and protein shakes. I tried Almond milk and liked it OK - but it's very expensive here compared to lactose free milk, and soy milk.

If anyone knows the true facts about soy milk, I'd be glad to hear it.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    Never tried Soy (or rice for that matter), Almond wasn't bad, I used in shakes or cereal, not really a milk drinker.

I also tried coconut. I wanted one with the least calories and carbs. Ended up throwing out most of the containers I got ...till I switched to Carbmaster milk. This stuff (to me) actually tastes good (both the vanilla and original) and it's something I don't mind drinking 8 oz.

Personally you have to find something you enjoy drinking and that fits your plan.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One thing about soy is that there are studies saying it can metabolize into estrogen. Not sure how much you would need to make a difference, but that is one reason we keep it out of our house. Also, I agree that almond tastes better.

Your comment about soy "metabolizing into estrogen" is incorrect, and it is widely accepted among the scientific community that there are far more benefits of soy as a phytoestrogen than there are small studies showing a correlation of soy with any negative health effects. The estrogen-like parts of soy (and other plant foods) are by far less of a problem for humans than animal hormones found in things like dairy (naturally occurring estrogen/other hormones and those we inject into dairy cows). If anything mimics estrogen in our bodies the most, it's dairy milk, not soy milk.

I really wish I knew how this misconception started, because I believed it too until I started working in cancer research.

THANK YOU!! this needs to be read and understood by more people. Don't just blatantly accept the (to be blunt) BS that some 'health' sites promote that is based on minimal science.

Anyway with that aside. Soy milk has significantly more protein in it and is generally fortified with more vitamins and minerals than almond milk is. So for a vegans/vegetarians it's the sure choice :)

I'm a vegetarian and I get plenty of healthful benefits from Almond milk. :) It has 50% more calcium in it than regular milk does, and I get my proteins and iron from fish, eggs and vegetables anyway, so for me, Almond milk is the thing. I guess it really just depends on what you're looking for! I would agree that maybe for Vegans soy milk is the better option, since Veganism is more challenging for finding vital nutrients.

You are a vegetarian that gets protein and iron from fish? :huh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The whole soy milk thing is getting to be quite a mystery. I recently googled soy milk and there was an article saying that soy milk is keeping us fat. It also said that soy milk has more chemicals, pesticides, and indigestible products than any other food. I have been drinking soy milk my whole life and have just now started drinking lactose free milk instead. I hate the taste of the lactose free milk, but it's only in coffee and protein shakes. I tried Almond milk and liked it OK - but it's very expensive here compared to lactose free milk, and soy milk.

If anyone knows the true facts about soy milk, I'd be glad to hear it.

I have never been able to find soy milk that is not organic, which would suggest it has less pesticides than other foods, and added chemicals would have to be organic. It's not on the ECW's dirty dozen list, nor have I ever seen anything about excessive pesticides in soy milk in any of their newsletters or on their website.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet. I would question the reliability of your source.
  • llama765
    llama765 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like almond milk. I just wish it had more protein. Does protein enhanced almond milk exist?.
  • jamoore94
    jamoore94 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use soy milk because I am allergic to almonds, I am also partial to coconut milk for some added healthy fat.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    HEMP MILK OR COCONUT MILK OR ALMOND MILK ALLLL THE WAY!!!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I prefer almond milk personally. I agree, I wish it had more protein.

And while I do take what I read on the internet with a grain of salt, a friend battling breast cancer was told by her Oncologist to avoid soy products so there must be some basis to it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Soy has more nutrition and more calories generally.
    Almond offers lower cals, lower nutrition, and different flavour and fewer inflammatory substances.

Honestly... the main thing to ask yourself is "Which one do you like more?" Because that's all that matters.

I like soy better. So I drink soy.

I drink a substitute milk because of an allergy.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and I get plenty of healthful benefits from Almond milk. :) It has 50% more calcium in it than regular milk does, and I get my proteins and iron from fish, eggs and vegetables anyway, so for me, Almond milk is the thing. I guess it really just depends on what you're looking for! I would agree that maybe for Vegans soy milk is the better option, since Veganism is more challenging for finding vital nutrients.

What? Iron in fish? Where is this red meat fish you speak of? Seriously. I need iron and if there actually is a fish that has a relatively comparable amount of iron in it to red meat, please tell me. Also, what kind of eggs? Because again, the ones I buy are not a significant source of iron so I'd love to try something that might...

ETA: I'm not trying to be mean, honest. I realize now that you probably meant that's where you get the protein from... not the iron. But still - I want magic fish :(
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Almond milk FTW. Because it's 900 times more delicious.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I like Diamond. I've had the Silk, and I agree with you, the texture was just a little off. I love the Diamond unsweetened Vanilla and it is only 30 calories for 8 oz.

thanks for the diamond suggestion, will definitely try.

any other low cal milk alternatives that go great with cereals, cupcakes, cookies? thanks!

I LOVE almond breeze BUT Silk Almond Milk doesn't contain carrageenan (an inflammatory ingredient) and Almond Breeze does so we have switched to the Silk. Texture not as good, but better for your body.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    My opinion: almond milk is awesome. It ranks right under hemp milk and coconut milk. Soy milk is utter nastiness. Just eww.

Almond milk is going to get a lot more expensive. The growers are hoarding almonds and the California drought has taken its toll.
    Cost will be 20% more in just a few more weeks....I'm in the industry.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    So Good vanilla soy milk is the sh1ttt

Silk dark chocolate almond milk is beyond amazing

but i love rice milk for everyday stuff
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Almond milk...YUM
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Soy all the way! I prefer the taste. And Organic Natura is non GMO. I find almond too watery and the taste a little fake/ overpowering.

However, unless you make your own, both are processed and contain their fair share of 'stabilizers' like Xanthan gum and Carrageenan.

So, i think it comes down to taste in the end.

:ohwell:
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Recently my chronic Lyme flared up and put a hurting on me. I felt it was time to go back and review the principles of Dr. Kenneth Singleton' s Lyme Inflamation Diet. It's very strict aimed at supporting the immune system as quickly as possible. Food is my medicine.

Soy products are not reccommended for those with compromised immune systems. After several months they can be reintroduced in moderate amounts.

Personally I like soy but not soy milk. I'm on team almond.