Cardio? The key to a perfect body?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose weight in a healthy way to gain a lean body. I am not looking to be built and muscular, just thin and healthy looking. I do a lot of cardio such as walking, jogging, and running with intervals. I have a 1400 calorie limit and I stay under that limit daily.

I wanted some tips on how to gain the lean and thin body that i've been trying to achieve. I am really not a big weight lifter and I exercise at home on a treadmill.

If you want the best exercises for healthy weight loss and fitness I would suggest dropping the cardio and focus on resistance training and High Intensity Interval Training.

There are plenty of websites that start you off with body weight resistance programs and most are free - a good site for this is nerd fitness (there are of course plenty of other ones).

If you like doing cardio you could always add light cardio sessions into you rest days!

Bottom line - cardio won't get you lean and if you overdo cardio it won't even get you healthy!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options

Are cross-fitters bulky by your standards? Here's last years winner.
    a05134f0a55baca1_10443033_823207434363719_7234926345573641697_o.xxxlarge.jpg

Erm,...yeah to me she does look bulky!
    I understand what you mean OP.....I'm not a fan of heavy lifting either as i'm afraid to bulk up (plus it just seems kinda boring :yawn: )
    I use small weights and incorporate that with my Cardio Dvd and i also do Dance.
    I'm pretty happy with my arms, but now working on my stomach.
    As someone suggested earlier - maybe swimming could help (as well as interval training on the treadmill).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you want the best exercises for healthy weight loss and fitness I would suggest dropping the cardio and focus on resistance training and High Intensity Interval Training.

There are plenty of websites that start you off with body weight resistance programs and most are free - a good site for this is nerd fitness (there are of course plenty of other ones).

If you like doing cardio you could always add light cardio sessions into you rest days!

Bottom line - cardio won't get you lean and if you overdo cardio it won't even get you healthy!
    I do support a balanced exercise routine but a few of your points are way off.

Dropping cardio but doing HIIT instead - so that would be dropping cardio and adding cardio? Okay.....
    Although HIIT is good it isn't the answer to everything. Like all exercise it's goal dependant.

"Cardio won't get you lean" - that would be a calorie deficit. And if cardio contributes to that it will get you lean. You must have seen quite a few a lean cyclists, runners, swimmers, dancers etc etc?

As for overdoing cardio - that's really not a problem for the vast majority of people let alone making them unhealthy!
  • fcmonkey50
    Options
    If you like the cardio, google HIT training. In a nutshell, high intensity to get your heart rate up and then steady pace (elliptical, rowing, biking or running). 20 minutes of HIT will get you better results than an hour of light/moderate traditional cardio.

Don't dismiss anaerobic training though. You can definitely build muscle (which burns more fat) without getting bulky. Diet is the real key. As a general guideline, 3 sets of 15-20 reps will get you results. Once you lose the fat, the muscle you uncover will be toned and look great, not to mention it will get you to your goal faster.

Good luck
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Dropping cardio but doing HIIT instead - so that would be dropping cardio and adding cardio? Okay.....
    Although HIIT is good it isn't the answer to everything. Like all exercise it's goal dependant.

"Cardio won't get you lean" - that would be a calorie deficit. And if cardio contributes to that it will get you lean. You must have seen quite a few a lean cyclists, runners, swimmers, dancers etc etc?

As for overdoing cardio - that's really not a problem for the vast majority of people let alone making them unhealthy!

I think most people would consider cardio and HIIT as different exercises (I do think you are nit picking).

Excessive cardio can be very muscle wasting so no I do not support the fact that cardio gets you lean. I have seen very lean cyclists, runners, swimmers and dancers and I would think that they all got lean through adding in resistance training and some form of HIIT.

I've also seen a lot of skinny runners (I would assume these guys stuck to just the cardio).

I am not saying don't do cardio (it has it's place in a balanced exercise routine), its just for the OP it will not be the cardio getting her the results.

In regards to excessive cardio making people unhealthy - yes it very much does. Just look at most elite runners or even club runners after they quite running!

You may possibly be confusing health with fitness!

As for the average person. I see plenty of the same faces at the gym most days pounding out miles on the treadmill.

Cardio is a great thing to do in moderation, I love a good cardio warm up or 32 mile bike ride every so often. Would I make it the main part of a fitness regime - no.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that when people ask for cardio advice on here alot of people belittle cardio and insist that you have to lift to get a great, lean bod. I can only tell you my experience. Three days a week I swim, do acquagym and have been on MFP for over a year. I've lost 20lbs and have gotten alot leaner--no flab, and like the way I look. Now all you lifters out there hang on, because I have nothing against lifting, or the results it gives, but you have to remember that not everyone can ( I have AO, plus wrist issues), or wants to lift, and that's OK. Yes, in my opinion you can get lean with "just" cardio, and the swimmers at my pool sure look lean and healthy. Wishing you the best. :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I think most people would consider cardio and HIIT as different exercises (I do think you are nit picking).

Excessive cardio can be very muscle wasting so no I do not support the fact that cardio gets you lean. I have seen very lean cyclists, runners, swimmers and dancers and I would think that they all got lean through adding in resistance training and some form of HIIT.

I've also seen a lot of skinny runners (I would assume these guys stuck to just the cardio).

I am not saying don't do cardio (it has it's place in a balanced exercise routine), its just for the OP it will not be the cardio getting her the results.

In regards to excessive cardio making people unhealthy - yes it very much does. Just look at most elite runners or even club runners after they quite running!

You may possibly be confusing fitness with health!

As for the average person. I see plenty of the same faces at the gym most days pounding out miles on the treadmill.

Cardio is a great thing to do in moderation, I love a good cardio warm up or 32 mile bike ride every so often. Would I make it the main part of a fitness regime - no.
    Not nit picking - HIIT is a form of cardio. Yes it's different in intensity and (if done correctly) should have short periods to anaerobic levels but it's cardio.

"Excessive cardio can be very muscle wasting" - you had better define excessive. If you research it you will find it's so extreme it's actually beyond the capabilities of 99.9% of people (like ultra marathon running). I'm currently training for a long cycle event and putting in many hours of cardio training (10 last week) including steady state, intervals etc.. Far from being muscle wasting it's having the opposite effect. Muscle wasting is more likely to come from an inadequate diet (and/or excessive calorie deficit) and not from too much exercise.

By the way those ultra lean (6%) elite cyclists actively avoid resistence training - excessive upper body muscle is counter productive for their sport. Anyway enough about elite athletes - pushing the idea that people doing very ordinary amounts of exercise is unhealthy or muscle wasting is ludicrous.

And I do understand the difference between fit and healthy.
    Having just lost my Mum to heart failure I really wish she had done some more cardio throughout her life. Resistance training might have saved her from breaking her hip in a fall though. Hence my support for a balance of cardio and resistance exercise for overall health and fitness.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

You may possibly be confusing fitness with health!

Not nit picking - HIIT is a form of cardio. Yes it's different in intensity and (if done correctly) should have short periods to anaerobic levels but it's cardio.

"Excessive cardio can be very muscle wasting" - you had better define excessive. If you research it you will find it's so extreme it's actually beyond the capabilities of 99.9% of people (like ultra marathon running). I'm currently training for a long cycle event and putting in many hours of cardio training (10 last week) including steady state, intervals etc.. Far from being muscle wasting it's having the opposite effect. Muscle wasting is more likely to come from an inadequate diet (and/or excessive calorie deficit) and not from too much exercise.

By the way those ultra lean (6%) elite cyclists actively avoid resistence training - excessive upper body muscle is counter productive for their sport. Anyway enough about elite athletes - pushing the idea that people doing very ordinary amounts of exercise is unhealthy or muscle wasting is ludicrous.

And I do understand the difference between fit and healthy.
    Having just lost my Mum to heart failure I really wish she had done some more cardio throughout her life. Resistance training might have saved her from breaking her hip in a fall though. Hence my support for a balance of cardio and resistance exercise for overall health and fitness.

Sorry to hear about your mum!

Just take a look at the elite triathletes or iron man competitors who over the years have died in their 50's or had to retire from their sport early due to cardiac issues or inflamed joints. The hormone cortisol plays a vital role in our lives and is a very essential hormone, but one thing the human body does not need is excessive amounts of it flushing around our system (doing hours and hours a week of cardio will do just that).

As I have said before there is nothing wrong (in fact it is beneficial) with moderate cardio!

And yes you are nit picking, unless of course we agree that all exercise is cardio (due to the fact that at some point our bodies will be in an aerobic state).

Also those ultra marathon runners will be training and competing a probably anaerobic conditions!
  • heyitsapanda
    heyitsapanda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mum!

Just take a look at the elite triathletes or iron man competitors who over the years have died in their 50's or had to retire from their sport early due to cardiac issues or inflamed joints. The hormone cortisol plays a vital role in our lives and is a very essential hormone, but one thing the human body does not need is excessive amounts of it flushing around our system (doing hours and hours a week of cardio will do just that).

As I have said before there is nothing wrong (in fact it is beneficial) with moderate cardio!

And yes you are nit picking, unless of course we agree that all exercise is cardio (due to the fact that at some point our bodies will be in an aerobic state).

Also those ultra marathon runners will be training and competing a probably anaerobic conditions!

That last line.... huh?
    An ultra-marathoner could never finish a marathon in anaerobic conditions, frankly not right up next to that cross-over line either.
    You couldn't store enough carbs to do it, neither could you intake enough during the race to accomplish it at that level of intensity.

I think you just made the point with your example of what level of training was required to cause those problems, and why the 99.9% on here wouldn't need to ever worry about it.
    And frankly, even at that level, there are different training methods.
    Several from past years, and a few currently learning from them, trained max-aerobic state, so while long hours, much less intense except for very specific short periods.
    I've seen the training plans of some of the current batch of high placed ones - ya, they are asking for issues down the road likely as well as beating their bodies up pretty good, on same hours but more intense.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    <~~minimal cardio, heavy weights. Do whatever makes you happiest. Eat a moderate deficit, get a good amount of protein. Have patience and put your heart into it.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Basically what you are currently doing is you want to be flabby skinny?! Not going to be lean doing that.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    Don't be scared of using weights if you want to try it. You would have to lift significant amounts over a period of time and eat pretty big to get bulky. If you are not keen on weights you can stick to body weight exercises which are just as effective. Cardio will lean you out and it will not make you flabby and skinny. I would take to the outside walking or running trails, hills, bleachers to shake you your routine.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    They clearly do not understand cardio
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    well first I must say that I have far from a perfect body, but that being said, I believe in weight lifting whole-heartedly. it is imperative for women. it strengthens your bones and helps keep you fit. cardio is more for your heart. add in some resistance and strength training - I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference it can make! i lift HEAVY and I love it. i am not bulky because i am a woman and women do not make enough testosterone on their own to get HUGE like men. give it a go and see what happens.

:smile:
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    But .. the crossfit girl above, she looks pretty dang good from where I sit. There is nothing wrong with muscle .. to a point.

Unless you do go to extremes .. this bulkiness will not be an issue.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    These pics are all of the same woman. Is her body on the right the kind of body you're looking for? If so, she got that way by weightlifting.

The picture on the left is of her at her goal weight, on the right, after body recomposition with weight. Note that she weighs more on the right than she does on the left, even though she looks smaller on the right.

Sorry, you gotta lift weights. No way around it.

bodycomp_zps5030830e.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    They clearly do not understand cardio

I disagree. I don't think they don't misunderstand cardio at all. OP's plan was cardio and ZERO resistance training. That can lead to skinny-fat. It's not that cardio makes you fat. It's that the lack of something that tell's your body.... "Hey, I'm using those muscles" (during weight loss) that can lead to fat AND muscle loss.

Fat and muscle loss leads to skinny-fat. You have to do something to keep lean muscle, and cardio is not it.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    These pics are all of the same woman. Is her body on the right the kind of body you're looking for? If so, she got that way by weightlifting.

The picture on the left is of her at her goal weight, on the right, after body recomposition with weight. Note that she weighs more on the right than she does on the left, even though she looks smaller on the right.

Sorry, you gotta lift weights. No way around it.

bodycomp_zps5030830e.jpg

I love how she weighs more in the last picture. <3
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    You should definitely do some sort of strength or resistance training. You're not going to get "bulky" or muscular eating 1400 calories a day and doing cardio and weights.