How Do You Feel About AVOCADOS?

Options

Replies

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    They're good in smoothies. Makes them thick and creamy. The problem I have with them is that they go bad really quickly once you cut them open. So I opt not to use them in my smoothies anymore, bc I would only use half a day and by the time I went back to use the other half the next day, it was a brown mess.
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    I absolutely love them....I even have a chocolate pudding recipe that is made from them.....Delicious!!!

So... you're just gonna hold that recipe captive??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am a weirdo.
    I hate avocados but love guacamole on nachos with salsa and cheese.
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    LOVE them!!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Used to hate them. Now I like them The Hass Avocado is my 2nd favorite GM food.

ED to fix typo.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Love them too! Especially in Salvadorian guacamole. Yum. make sure you work them into your calorie goals. They're fatty, but good fatty :bigsmile:

Recipe please!!!
  • ZBuffBod
    Options
    They're good in smoothies. Makes them thick and creamy. The problem I have with them is that they go bad really quickly once you cut them open. So I opt not to use them in my smoothies anymore, bc I would only use half a day and by the time I went back to use the other half the next day, it was a brown mess.

Keep the seed in the other half and put a little lemon juice on it to keep it fresh. The oxidation is what causes it to turn brown. Incidentally it's still good even though brown. :-)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options

Have you tried leaving the pit in the half you don't use, put it in a ziplock sandwich bag with a little piece of tomatoe and store it in the fridge. Stays fresh for a 2 or 3 days.

Chocolate avocado pudding...

imagejpg1_zpsb7653d2c.jpg
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Yummy! But sometimes too mushy. But sometimes perfect. Especially with a few drops of soy sauce.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what the negative research you found was?
  • pilotricky
    Options
    too fatty, even tho its good fat. but ill start using them and see how it goes.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I dispise them! But they are increably good for you, just very calorie dense so make sure you have room.
  • ZBuffBod
    Options
    Avocado, condensed milk (or whatever sweetener you choose), cow's milk, nutmeg, vanilla....avocado ice cream. Yummy dessert!
  • jdhcm2006
    Options

Keep the seed in the other half and put a little lemon juice on it to keep it fresh. The oxidation is what causes it to turn brown. Incidentally it's still good even though brown. :-)

I have tried that and it didn't help at all.

But to the other suggestion of putting a tomato in with it, I haven't tried that, but I don't like tomatoes, so that won't be getting tried, lol.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I eat half an avocado a day when I can get them. Right now there are none at any local markets in my area so I'm suffering.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I personally do NOT like avocados, unless they are in guacamole with some fresh tortilla chips. However, they are really very good for you. Healthy source of fat and omega3s. The only down side is they are a bit high in calories. If you can fit them into your day, they definitely go for it!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I am an avocado fiend. I love them, I usually eat 1/2 per day either in a salad, or with S&P and a spoon. As mentioned above: if you only eat half, eat the half without the pit in it. Keep the pit in the other half, wrap it in plastic wrap and it's good for 3-4 days easily.

ETA: Yes, they are still good even if they turn brown from being opened (as opposed to turning brown under the skin - that's actually going bad).
  • ladylaume
    ladylaume Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I hated them for a long time now I love to use them on my veggies and make guac so yummy and a healthy fat for your diet!
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Cut them with a plastic knife and wrap it tight in cling film and it won't go so brown so quick.
    Bacon and avocado bagels are my absolute favourite thing. And avocado with eggs, when they are really soft, stirred into cous cous or rice with chopped cucumber, onion and chicken....mmmmmmm, now im hungry :)
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    And avocado with eggs, when they are really soft, stirred into cous cous or rice with chopped cucumber, onion and chicken
    [/quote]

should have been a full stop there lol! Avacdo with eggs. And when they are really soft stirred into rice :) don't stir eggs into cous cous, it probably won't be nice lol