How Do You Feel About AVOCADOS?

Options

Replies

• emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love avocados! The hibachi restaurant near me makes an avocado salad with thinly sliced avocado drizzled with soy sauce and sesame oil and then topped with sesame seeds. It's absolutely delicious!!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I love them but have quit eating them as they are too high calorie. Personally I'd rather spend the calories on protein, but I do think they can form part of a weight-loss plan.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I feel pretty good about them
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    They're good in smoothies. Makes them thick and creamy. The problem I have with them is that they go bad really quickly once you cut them open. So I opt not to use them in my smoothies anymore, bc I would only use half a day and by the time I went back to use the other half the next day, it was a brown mess.

Keep the seed in the other half and put a little lemon juice on it to keep it fresh. The oxidation is what causes it to turn brown. Incidentally it's still good even though brown. :-)

I have tried that and it didn't help at all.

But to the other suggestion of putting a tomato in with it, I haven't tried that, but I don't like tomatoes, so that won't be getting tried, lol.

You can't taste the tomato at all. :smile:
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Love avocados. Eat a whole one every chance I get. Hasn't impeded weight loss at all ;)
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I hate them.

Not because of calories, or fats, or any other nutritional reason. I just hate the flavor and texture of them.
  • Oodlez
    Options
    I eat them on sandwiches and stuff when I do eat them. It's very rarely I do this month or two though because I've been so busy I eat out or eat TV dinners when I get around to eating *sigh*. And I actually gained last week and haven't had any... Granted that's from eating out xD

But anyways, you could definitely incorporate them in! I've lost almost 40lbs in the last 9 months and I used to eat them maybe once a week.
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great source of healthy fats! Just be careful not to eat too much, those cals add up quick.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Love them, I have one for breakfast most days.
  • Tiranoua
    Tiranoua Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not that fond of them, but I'm slowly working towards MAKING myself like them!
    I did the same with tomatoes, and now I can't get enough of them :)
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If I could get away with it, I could enjoy an avocado only diet... :love: :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Eatin' one plain right now!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I love Avocados. I've done some research but im getting mixed answers. Will it be a good snack for my diet?(trying to lose weight)

My current snacks: Carrots & PB
    Kellogs 100cal pastry bars
    Cashews
    Bananas

Avocados are very nutrient dense...they are also calorie dense. Calories have nothing to do with nutritional value...IMHO, they are worth fitting in the calories. I eat 1/2 and avocado pretty much daily.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them every day but when I eat them, I slice them in half and eat the whole thing plain. They are awesome.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I love Avocados. I've done some research but im getting mixed answers. Will it be a good snack for my diet?(trying to lose weight)

My current snacks: Carrots & PB
    Kellogs 100cal pastry bars
    Cashews
    Bananas
    BLEAH! :sick:

Personal tastes aside though, they have the "good" fat in them so as long as they fit your macros, they're a good choice..if you like that sort of thing. :laugh:
  • mseslee
    mseslee Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love avocados, I slice up half of a avocado and put it in my salads everyday. It's a good healthy fat.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Avo is obviously good fat and calories. All in moderation!
  • OtakuDev
    OtakuDev Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat them plain and be smiling whilst doing so... That's for sure!

HOWEVER, I made a sandwich with them and it came out amazing. Pesto, sliced tomato, sliced avocado and you're done. I had a similar sandwich made for me at a cafe bar near my Uni but they added mozzarella cheese and a different kind of pesto I didn't have at home.

Made a smoothie too! Not sure if I am allowed to link other sites to the recipes but it was essentially just:
    - Milk
    - Avocado
    - Honey or Maple syrup for taste

I found it very filling and it tied me in for quite some time. Took me a little while to finish the drink and a while before i felt the need to eat. I think maybe 3 to 4 hours not feeling hungry which is pretty awesome for me. Avocados are super cool :) + Healthy fats!
  • RunnerStephe
    Options
    Use like butter here.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think avocado is an excellent substitute for cheese and mayo on a sandwich. I love to eat it plain with just a sprinkle of salt and chili powder. It's amazing as guacamole. It's also super healthy and worth every calorie. I personally find that when I eat half an avocado a day, I feel more full.