Is strength training cardio?

Options

Replies

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Some times strength training can have a cardio element to it if you keep up a pace that gets your heart rate up consistently.

I think your logic is flawed though. Deadlifting 2x your bodyweight seems like a much greater feat than running a 33 minute 5k.

possibly, but that depends on a few factors, like age, sex, weight. It's taken me about 5 months to work up to ~2x BW deadlift, but running a 5k in that time is impossible for me and would probably take me a long time to get to that

Agreed. It took me 2 months to drop 10 minutes off my 5k (to a 31 min) and 8 months to get up to a 1.5x deadlift. Guarantee you it takes me another year to hit 2x if it ever happens. But I'm a tiny female with a strong cardio background and almost no lifting experience. Everyone is different and has different strengths so it does seem like a bizarre comparison.
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,470 Member
    Options
    I think your logic is flawed though. Deadlifting 2x your bodyweight seems like a much greater feat than running a 33 minute 5k.

Bingo! Deadlifting 2x your bodyweight as a novice is a much greater feat than running a 33 minute 5k as a novice.

I'd go further..you're extrapolating from your achievement to imply that if I got 10 'strength only novices' the majority of them could run 5k in around 33mins? Are you sure?

My view is that strength training helps with sprinting rather than long distance running.

...but to be honest congrats on your run...it's impressive nonetheless.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Tom,

How many dimes do you have?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I want the donut to be worth more than a dime, I'll take a dollar donut.
  • HamptonPhoenix
    HamptonPhoenix Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    songebob-donut-o.gif
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like dimes. And donuts. And lifting. And cardio. I'll take all the things :)
  • fitani71
    Options
    Is 10k in 68 minutes really cardio though? That's not a lot faster than a brisk walk, how high would you say your heart rate got?
  • Jeffharlan
    Options
    I've been doing a weight training circuit, doing 6 to 8 sets of weights per circuit (bench, squat, rows/pull downs, overhead press, leg press/calf raises, and curls) beginning with a Farmer's carry of 60 yards with two dumbbells. I rest about two minutes between circuits and get three done in 30 minutes. I get the best of both worlds with this: four workouts a week-- 2 with barbells (light and heavy) and 2 with dumbbells (light and heavy). I've dropped 20 lbs and my waist has shrunk. This is a great way to combine weight/strength training with cardio and I'm wiped at the end every time. I don't run any distance farther than 800 meters, but rather do sprints of 100 and 40 yards, which will promote explosiveness needed for athletic competition.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    youre the man tom...i bet your corn hole is fine as hell
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I think I may have been obtuse in stating my original hypothesis. I apologize for that. I'll restate it to be more clear:

Lifting rules. Running drools.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Depends on the cardio.

Last year I was massively overweight and unfit but I skiied for 4 hours everyday on my holiday and well considering I hadn't skiied for 15 years and the skis have changed in that period, but would someone who had only strength training manage to ski for that long?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Your conclusion is laughable, because relative to 5000M and 10000M record holders, and even the hobby runners, your "race" times are a joke. If you want to be a better/faster runner, you need to run. If you want to get stronger and lift heavier, you need to lift. Don't be a dunce.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Is 10k in 68 minutes really cardio though? That's not a lot faster than a brisk walk, how high would you say your heart rate got?

That's an ~11min mile. Are you trolling?
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

That's an ~11min mile. Are you trolling?

I don't agree with the OP but I'm doing my first 10k on sunday and that is the time I'm expecting. :sad:
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    So we are comparing weights to cardio? Why

Would you call superset cardio? Lifting with no or minimal break in between sets I call weighted cardio. Then again on strength days my breaks are very short anyways.
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Actually, a study about this very thing was recently released...

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/strength-training-may-burn-more-calories-than-previously-thought

Strength training is a vigorous-intensity activity after all.
  • DominicLucock
    Options
    cardio is aerobic and strength training is not, they utilize the muscles in different way, weights are fantastic and if used properly can give you a great cardio workout but proper strength training won't really train your heart and lungs the way proper cardio will. i'm 25 stone and managed 5 and 10k's before mate, i wouldn't start tooting your horn haha
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    How does betting dimes to donuts work? Do I put up a dime and get a donut if I win, or vice versa? i'd rather do the former because donuts cost more than a dime.
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Is strength training cardio? In a limited sense, yes. But it's not true cardio. Sure, if you do circuit training, that's more true cardio. But remember though, if putting on as much muscle is your goal, then circuit training isn't going to help you get there, because it's more of a cardio thing. Also when you do weight training, you cannot last indefinitely. So it is cardio. But it's not the truest cardio.

I disagree in a sense. Have you ever done German volume style training? meaning 10 sets of 10 repetitions doing a lift like a squat using 70% of your max lifting volume and only resting 30-45 seconds in between. Now that will make you suck some air!