What do you do with old clothes?

Options

Replies

• andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make an effigy of my old self then set fire to it and take a selfie with my fat past burning behind me.
  • BevRodriguez52
    Options
    I know what you mean. I still have my Marine Corp Ball gown from 1977, that I purchased in the Philippines.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Try the box method - if you put it in a box and you don't miss it in a year, donate it. If you had to pull it out because you wanted it, keep it.

ETA: Wait a year because then you're sure you've experienced all the seasons and you're not just throwing out your winter stuff in the middle of summer when you're feeling like you don't need it.

ETA2: I'm going to get a couple of items tailored since I still love them. And also... my mom told me to keep my fat clothes so that I don't have to buy maternity clothes when that time comes. Smart woman, that one.

I did this when i got too fat for my clothes. But I am lazy and have yet to donate them. So now I am hoping I might fit into them in a few more pounds :laugh:
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Definitely get rid of them or you're subconsciously giving yourself permission to regain what you've lost. The exception to that would be the last size before your goal, as many people find it difficult/impossible to stay at your ultimate goal. (Plus we all have those bloaty fat days.)
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've been super morbidly obese for 18 years. I just used my sewing machine and either took them in or made new clothes out of my old ones. Really ugly clothes I just threw away. Good clothes I never wore and hated got donated. :drinker:
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Donate to charity - I'm not going back.

I have kept one pair of jeans though, just in case I start to forget what it was like.
    This too!
  • iwilldoit2018
    iwilldoit2018 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Donate and get rid of them. I did not want a safety net.
  • fatnutjob
    fatnutjob Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian so I keep my Asian clothes just because they're crazy expensive. They're really easy to tailor so I do that myself.

With my other clothes, I've given most of my old stuff to charity but I keep my favourites even though they're a little big for me. Big clothes on small people look good depending on how they're worn so it's no problem.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i wear all my old clothes but now i use a belt on the tightest narrowest hole setting. and my shirts hang on me and have no shape.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    As I grow out of them, I will donate them to Goodwill. I do not want to keep them; I refuse to ever fit them again. :smile:
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Donate to charity - I'm not going back.

I have kept one pair of jeans though, just in case I start to forget what it was like.

^^^This 1000x
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I donate and pray,pray I will never wish I had kept them.
  • Denisebar
    Denisebar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried that and had to buy new clothes in the larger size again. Hopefull with y'all to help I won't do that again. I gained 100 lbs back. D-:

This is me ,but please never again!
  • MeganZeman
    MeganZeman Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think we are all going to go through our clothes this weekend. I'll make a box of stuff that is clearly too large(most likely consisting of those awkward "oh I had a baby a while ago.... but I can't bear to wear maternity pants any longer" clothes) then send it on its merry way.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Donate and as soon as they are too baggy to look right I give them away... almost everything I had is gone now and I have replaced it with about 1/3 of things because these too will be gone in a couple months.... If you keep them you are setting yourself up to grow back into them or at least in my opinion and I vote no on that one!
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I either sell or donate. I keep one pair of jeans though to remind myself of where I came from.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Now, I have a closet full of clothes that actually fit. Which is a big deal for me, as I used to have size 14 down to size 4 . I donated everything that didn't fit anymore :-)
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    This is gunna make me sound HORRIBLE, but it's the truth. :indifferent:

I do NOT get along with my little sister (she's 23, I'm 29), literally, not at all. :grumble:

She's around a size 22/24. I'm rocking a 14/16 (or even a loose 10/12 at some stores!). :drinker:

Anyways, I boxed up all my larger-er-er sized clothing and mailed it to her....from my mothers address, so she'd think my mother went shopping at the consignment shop for her. :indifferent:
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I donate them almost immediately once I've shrunk out of them. I don't want to see them anymore, and I don't ever want to fit in them again :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I donate them, and then turn around and buy new stuff at the same place. Everyone wins :)