Does drinking alcohol stop weightloss?

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    my trainer said it's not an issue unless you get down to your last few pounds and can't drop. I have personally cut it out for the next 6 months until I can get used to my new diet plan/eating regime. then I will reintroduce it within calorie range. in the past, when I was down to my last 10 lbs or so, I did notice that cutting alcohol helped.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I would not take the alcohol from your base calories. It has Zero nutritional value. You need a certain amount of nutrients to live. I do often take them from my work out calories. so if my base calories is 1,600 and I worked out for 600 calories that day, then I can have 600 calories worth of alcohol if I choose too. This dose three things for me.

1) Limits my booze a lot. That's only about 9 OZ of bourbon. or 6 light beers.

2) It makes me want to work out harder on Saturday to make for the night out later

3) It makes me still eat. Alcohol on an empty stomach is bad

I agree with an earlier poster who said unless you give up alcohol forever, then you need to find a way to work it in. Same goes for junk food, or anything else.

That's not true. Alcohol has macros and nutrients. Beer has carbs, protein and vitamins. Wine has carbs and vitamins.
  • As long as it fits within your caloric goal, you're good.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Just keep in mind that quantities poured in a bar are rarely an actual serving. Most good bartenders overpour.

Baha!

I need to find some better places to frequent, then!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    I would say not if you fit it into your calories. However, some people don't count it or don't estimate how many calories are in some mixed drinks like margaritas. I find beer tends to bloat me and add an extra pound or two, but that might just be the volume. After all, 12-16 oz of beer has the same amount of alcohol as a glass of wine, but if I drink beer, I am definitely heavier and more bloated the next day.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    No it does not except, for me at least, I seem to lose a lot of my will power to control my food intake when I have a drink. It only takes one or two and if someone brings out snacks, I will eventually cave. Doesn't matter how much I talk about not doing it.

Because of this, I limit my self to 1 night a week when with friends. I may have a wine or two when at home, but I have more control at home since I also control what food is in the house.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    No, it doesn't. If you're in a deficit, you'll lose weight. A lot of people just find that because most alcoholic drinks have a lot of calories, it can make it difficult to stay in a deficit.

Oh...and the 3AM Taco Bell that often comes along with drinking. Or is that just me?

+1
  • I'm planning on having a bottle of wine tonight to make sure it doesn't hinder my weight loss I've had lower calorie meals and I'm going to go to the gym before drinking it. You just need to make sacrifices if you want alcohol sometimes :)

^^ This!

I make the sacrifices to work my alcohol in...Cheers! xx :drinker:
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    That's not true. Alcohol has macros and nutrients. Beer has carbs, protein and vitamins. Wine has carbs and vitamins.
    This is correct! While a shot of vodka has next to no nutritional value, both beer and wine have macro and micronutrients in them!

As far as alcohol slowing fat loss, here's the deal. When alcohol is in the system the body will stop burning fat and divert it's attention to ridding itself of the alcohol. A gram of alcohol provides more energy then carbs or protein but less then fat (gram for gram). This is why some people say alcohol makes fat burning impossible. Technically their statement is correct but there a big catch. It's a very temporary thing. Once you process the alcohol, you will again begin using stored fuel if you are in a deficit. If at the end of the day/week you are in a deficit, your net fat loss will be based on the size of the deficit, not whether or not you drank alcohol.

It is best to treat alcohol the same way you treat everything else. Consume it in moderation and track it against your goals. Now here's the fun part, alcohol has a higher thermic effect of food then carbs, protein, or fat. This means it requires more energy to break it down. What's that mean? Alcohol is listed at 7.1 calories per gram but after you figure out what it takes to break down the alcohol, the number is really closes to 5.7. So you are actually going to be in a slightly larger deficit then you think if some of your calories are from alcohol. Don't get me wrong, its not an earth shattering difference and alcohol is not the new weight loss miracle product. Just feel happy knowing you have a little extra deficit on the days you drink.

As was pointed out above, the problem with alcohol is sticking with your calorie goals once under the influence. Drinking a glass of wine of a beer or two usually isn't an issue but leaving yourself 1000 calories to get sauced on vodka/diet sodas can sometimes leave you inebriated enough to say "F this diet, I want me some TACO BELL!".

TL/DR: Treat alcohol like everything else, consume in moderation and track against your goals. Don't get so drunk that you overeat or binge.
  • gvhunterollie
    gvhunterollie Posts: 74 Member
    This is the best thread I could have read on a Friday!

The Coke in my bourbon has been replaced with diet Coke (my bartender calls it the "Dr. Oz") and I watch him pour so I know he is not over-pouring the shot.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    I haven't found a couple of drinks to stop weight loss. Love me some good drinks! I personally just have to be careful that it doesn't lead me down the road to uninhibited snacking. :drinker:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Hangover's can affect your workouts though, just my personal experience I know everyone is different :happy:
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    This is correct! While a shot of vodka has next to no nutritional value, both beer and wine have macro and micronutrients in them!

As far as alcohol slowing fat loss, here's the deal. When alcohol is in the system the body will stop burning fat and divert it's attention to ridding itself of the alcohol. A gram of alcohol provides more energy then carbs or protein but less then fat (gram for gram). This is why some people say alcohol makes fat burning impossible. Technically their statement is correct but there a big catch. It's a very temporary thing. Once you process the alcohol, you will again begin using stored fuel if you are in a deficit. If at the end of the day/week you are in a deficit, your net fat loss will be based on the size of the deficit, not whether or not you drank alcohol.

It is best to treat alcohol the same way you treat everything else. Consume it in moderation and track it against your goals. Now here's the fun part, alcohol has a higher thermic effect of food then carbs, protein, or fat. This means it requires more energy to break it down. What's that mean? Alcohol is listed at 7.1 calories per gram but after you figure out what it takes to break down the alcohol, the number is really closes to 5.7. So you are actually going to be in a slightly larger deficit then you think if some of your calories are from alcohol. Don't get me wrong, its not an earth shattering difference and alcohol is not the new weight loss miracle product. Just feel happy knowing you have a little extra deficit on the days you drink.

As was pointed out above, the problem with alcohol is sticking with your calorie goals once under the influence. Drinking a glass of wine of a beer or two usually isn't an issue but leaving yourself 1000 calories to get sauced on vodka/diet sodas can sometimes leave you inebriated enough to say "F this diet, I want me some TACO BELL!".

TL/DR: Treat alcohol like everything else, consume in moderation and track against your goals. Don't get so drunk that you overeat or binge.

this was very helpful, ty for the information! :drinker:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    It hasn't stopped it. It has slowed it because I have a preference for high calorie beers and have a smaller deficit. If I drank fewer calories and ate the same, I'd lose faster. But, I'm not in a hurry to lose any faster because I love beer.

OP, like everyone else says, just work it into your deficit.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    If you strictly subscribe to calories in vs. calories out and any deficit will result in weight loss - the answer would be that it has no ill effects. However, bodies are all unique and burn/utilize calories differently. A couple of drinks a week - you probably won't have an issue. A couple of drinks per day - you might.

Experiment to see what works for you.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Speaking as someone who lasted a mere four days on the Sober September challenge (*hic*):

For me personally, regular alcohol use and weight loss cancel each other out. As for many others, it's not so much the calories in the wine itself, but the way it makes me want to eat a lot more than I normally would. It almost always ends badly... "badly", as in a huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs. I might be okay for three or four days; the fifth night it's a Pasta Party, and it's all downhill from there.

I've found I can get away with drinking saki on the weekends if I want it enough to go get some. I've developed a weekend menu that it fits into with regard to my MFP goals, and it doesn't make me food-binge like wine does.
  • soopaang
    soopaang Posts: 27 Member
    If you like to drink just factor it in. I was drinking frequently when I lost the largest amount I've ever lost by factoring it all in. I have cut way back in the last few months but that is because of vanity as I think it ages people. We'll see how long that lasts!

I would say some drinks are better than others. Beer is so delicious but it also makes me feel like I'm eating a loaf of bread per bottle (puffy and gross). "Girly drinks" have too much sugar and that is bad for you and adds too many unneeded cals. I have turned into a whiskey neat or wine girl when I drink. I also log each drink and the time I had each drink as I go so I can try to avoid going down the drunken rabbit hole!

Good Luck!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    If you strictly subscribe to calories in vs. calories out and any deficit will result in weight loss - the answer would be that it has no ill effects. However, bodies are all unique and burn/utilize calories differently. A couple of drinks a week - you probably won't have an issue. A couple of drinks per day - you might.

Experiment to see what works for you.
    So are you saying for some people a gram of protein has more or less then 4 calories? Same with carbs and fat (9 calories)? People are not all that unique at all. Basic anatomy as physiology for the most part is the same for humans. Certain health problems can change things but healthy adults are a lot more similar then they are different. If someone is in a deficit and does not lose weight over the long run then they have officially broken physics. Anyone not losing weight is either burning less then they think, eating more, or a combination of both. This is true even if you have a severe metabolic disorder, though you may burn so little per day it's simply hard/impossible to eat little enough to compensate. Even in that case, calories in vs out still apply. It always does, because it's a law of physics.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    I cant say I can quit alcohol cold turkey but I am trying to reduce the amount I drink and how often I drink (maybe once or twice a month vs once every weekend)

My problem with alcohol is the choices I make when you get late night munches. It's too easy to make poor choices at eat bad foods late at night. I am sure this is a major contributing factor that leads me to where I am today.
  • golfmonk
    golfmonk Posts: 119 Member
    Alcohol itself (and I am referring to the "-OH" molecule and not "beer" or "wine", etc) has no nutritional value. It does contain about 7 calories per gram of energy but is considered "poison' to the body and as such the body gives a high priority of processing alcohol over things like burning fat. That said, I think alcohol in moderation should not hinder weight loss if it fits in your daily (or weekly) calorie allotment and drinks like red wine have been shown to also have health benefits as well as being enjoyable to drink.

I think most of this issue with alcohol are the side effects (eating too much food while/after drinking, how one feels the next day, sleeping after drinking is not as restful, etc). I, myself, have enjoyed a beer or two while watching the favorite sport teams fail again (NY Mets/Islanders/Giants...grrrrr!!! lol) and still continued to lose weight so it can be done....

YMMV of course....