Would you log lawnmowing?

Options

Replies

• smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I push mow my lawn and it's absolutely flat. It's not much of a work out for me. Therefore I just log it as walking because that's what I am doing. However, I would log it as you see fit. Your yard and yourself is different than me and my yard.

Nope, everybody's yard is flat and the same size. Nope, everybody is the same. We're all here for the same reason. DYEMFP?

Don't Stop Believin'
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

It's OK to log a brisk walk but not push mowing the lawn? Hmm, something doesn't seem right there.

I guess I can understand if you you have one of those tiny lawns that take 5 minutes, but those of us that are blessed with a larger yard to enjoy, why can't we log an hour of mowing? I see some of you even looking down on people that log mowing their lawn.

^^My point.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Crap. I can't find "mouse clicking" anywhere in the cardiovascular database. Maybe strength training?
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have, and would again. I am set to sedentary, and my lawn is quite large and on a slope, so I work up quite a sweat doing it.

ETA: It's a push mower, I only mow once or twice a month (husband does it the rest of the time) and it takes me 45 minutes to an hour).
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I would, but I never mow the lawn. If I did it regularly and didn't feel as though I was getting a workout, I wouldn't. The (literally) two times I have mowed the lawn, it was a really good workout for me, so I logged it. We just moved to a house on a half acre, and we pay a service to care for the lawn, but I told my husband I'm tempted to buy a mower and cancel the service just to save the money and burn the calories!! If only I had the time... lol
  • r_kraft
    r_kraft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I log it, after wearing my running watch and Heart Rate Monitor I was very surprised by how many calories I burned (its much more than most would guess) and is not a big yard. So that is the number I log each time I cut my yard.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've never mowed a lawn in my life #blessed but I would log it because I am weak and would probably have to fish it out of my pond :(
  • GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    Push mower? Yes. It burns 300 calories an hour, and I'm usually sore the next day after mowing.
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    yes I would! of course my yard is huge and takes two hours to mow the back with a walking mower (not a riding mower). mowing is great exercise, 30" of mowing is great exercise.

all logging is good to get you into logging your actions towards your goal.
  • VibrantAnnette
    VibrantAnnette Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    LOL! yes log the lawn mowing, every minute of it! this post makes me laugh.
    it matters only what you think, not what anyone else thinks. Your journal your journey your truth man...

quite honestly, it's harder, even electric or gas lawn mowers, harder than pushing a grocery cart, and grocery cart pushing is exercise too. it's all resistance training, like if you're using one of those resistance bands. lots of millionaires selling those bicycle tube resistance bands for a really good reason, they work!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope......I only count actually exercises!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    if i worked up a sweat, sure - i'd log it. i'd also wear a HRM once to get an idea of exertion and burn so i knew how much to log.

I live in Florida....just sitting outside I sweat, should I log that??
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I haven't read other people's responses - but YES, I think you should log it if you think it was a workout (ie: was it a pushmower? is it something you consider part of your regular activity level or was it above your stated activity level?)

I live on an acre lot and we have a pushmower. It is hard work on my hilly yard. It takes me about 3 hours to do my entire lawn and ditch. For me, it is definitely a workout! I have my activity level set to "lightly active" which I feel includes my normal every-day routine + weekly things like grocery shopping, heavy cleaning, chasing kids around the park, etc. Mowing the lawn is more strenuous (for me) than any of my "regular" activities so I consider it a form of exercise. However, I do not eat back all (or even half) of my exercise calories.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Crap. I can't find "mouse clicking" anywhere in the cardiovascular database. Maybe strength training?

Wow, all this posting and your ticker shows you have lost, what, 1 pound in how many years since you signed up? Is this correct? You certainly have a lot of nothing to say. I am wondering if you were trying to help, or just be ridiculous. I am not very computer savvy, so my son had to explain to me what a "troll" was. I get it now.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm set to sedentary and have a push mower so, yeah, I log it. It's extra movement I don't get in my day-to-day.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit so it gets logged. I average about 9,000-10,000 steps while mowing.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    We have a push reel lawn mower. If I do it and DH doesn't then heck yes I log it. You work up a sweat with that damn thing even for our fairly small patch of front lawn.
  • pjb58
    pjb58 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    YES! log it....lawn mowing is hard work.
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have a John Deere riding mower and was surprised to find you burn calories even on the riding mower,:laugh: :laugh:

So If I mow for an hour and burn 240 calories I don't log it but I balance it with a cold beer that I place in the cup holder that is on the fender.....
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    no, I don't. :ohwell:
    I don't log cleaning the house or working in the flowerbeds either. :flowerforyou: