"Free" day - what your thoughts on one?

Options
2»

Replies

• HawkeyeGuy
    Options
    I've gone from about 34% bodyfat to a maintained 12.5% bodyfat over the past 2 years. During my transition to a healthful life, I rarely took any "days off", because I didn't deserve them yet. They interfered with my goal. Now that I'm where I want to be, I eat very cleanly throughout the week (mostly because my body now demands it). But, from Friday evening, through Sunday morning, I am free to eat whatever I like. I do this because knowing I could never have a slice of pizza, or a martini again would kill me. But, I find that during that 48 hours, I only eat one or two meals that aren't my 'usual'...again it's because my body now craves my steel cut oatmeal and eggbeaters for breakfast. I probably ingest an extra 2000 calories over normal during those 48 hours, but I know that I must maintain a 400 calorie deficit during the week to stay in my maintenance mode.

So, they may be free days, but I still stay in control, and know what my body needs. It's amazing how bloated and nasty I feel now if I do over do it on any of those meals...I rarely do. That's my two cents. Now go work out.
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Someone said a free day is "planning to fail". I think that is harsh. I love having a free day on the weekends. I have lost more weight since instituting that. I used to always weigh more on Monday mornings than I did on Friday mornings. When I let myself have flexibility one day (usually Saturday) I've been losing more weight on weekends. Maybe it's the change in calories, I don't know. But whatever works for you.

And by free day I don't mean eating an entire pizza. Nothing like that. For example, I had some drinks and I ate a bowl of mac and cheese.

Best of luck!
  • jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Someone said a free day is "planning to fail". I think that is harsh. I love having a free day on the weekends. I have lost more weight since instituting that. I used to always weigh more on Monday mornings than I did on Friday mornings. When I let myself have flexibility one day (usually Saturday) I've been losing more weight on weekends. Maybe it's the change in calories, I don't know. But whatever works for you.

And by free day I don't mean eating an entire pizza. Nothing like that. For example, I had some drinks and I ate a bowl of mac and cheese.

Best of luck!
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    There is not one perfect formula that works for everyone... but I CAN tell you my expereinces thus far. I definitely have one cheat meal every week single week, usually on Sunday. Three weeks ago I had lasagne at Olive Garden, two weeks ago I went to Red Robin and ate a burger (didn't finish it), last week I had steak tacos from Ixtapa...... I look forward to the treat all week and it always makes me kick into a higher gear the next day. I can't help but feel that, "Oh no, I just ate way over my caloric needs, I'm not gonna need to work twice as hard to lose weight now." It always motivates me to work even harder for the whole week so the scale will reflect that. The bonus is a day of eating high calories followed by a day of eating low calories like clock work I always break a plateau.

Here is what DIDN'T work. I thought I'd try giving myself a cheat DAY and I consumed 2500 calories through the whole day, which is more than double what I really need (1200). I could start feeling old habits returning and did not like that feeling. I was stuffed the whole day, and told myself "it's my cheat day, it's okay." But the only one I'm cheating is myself. I would experiment with what works for you and like many of us have said, different things work for different people!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    The easiest is to allow 10% cheat calories per week. You don't want to gorge it down in one sitting or even a day. Our "free, cheat, treat" days are often loaded with high glycemic loads and those loads get converted directly to fat to drop blood sugar levels.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    After reading some of the other responses, I feel like I should clarify some things.

My diet on Fridays is not completely unlike my diet the rest of the week. I never go above my maintenance calories (for my age, height and activity level, about 2100 calories). And I don't eat unhealthy things I wouldn't usually eat just because, hey, it's my cheat day.

Instead, I just relax. I have a little extra breakfast. I have pasta for dinner, and it's always darn good. I have a small bowl of ice cream. I still get in plenty of fruit and veggies. I still watch what I eat. Otherwise, I would be going against all I've come to believe about a healthy relationship with food.
  • Redkoala
    Redkoala Posts: 146
    Options
    I wouldnt be able to cheat, might sound silly but why have that piece of candy or something when you know you dont wanna eat it. Guess the 'cheat' thing with me is the odd round of beer a saturday night once in a while :P
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Oh boy. I am not a big believer in "free days" because when it's truly free (all day, every meal, every snack, anything in any quantity) it can undo so much work that it usually leads clients (in my experience) to get discouraged.

Think about it. You work hard to eat right at a 500 calorie deficit all week, which earns you one pound (3500 calories). You also pushed to exercise, say five times a week @ 300 calories each time, which worked off 1500 calories. So you have an exceptional week and net a deficit of 5000 calories. That's 1.4 pounds (note that every pound lost is usually not 100% fat so 3500 calories doesn't always net one pound ... see this for more info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012).

Depending upon how bad your "free day" is, it's easy for you to completely erase the entire week ... if you eat out, you'll likely not only undo your hard work for the week, but dip into previous week's hard work. And to boot, it's rarely healthy clean food that people splurge on when they take a "free day.

That said, for folks who are at their weight goal, and are working to maintain (and are typically pretty good with their diet and their activity levels), a splurge meal or two won't throw them off too bad because they are working those meals off during the rest of the week.

I get it. Lots of fit people do it and it leads a lot of folks who are working hard to get fit to do it, too. But ... in my experience, it hasn't been a positive thing for most folks who are still striving to achieve a healthy weight.

Just my two bits ...
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't have a planned free/cheat day, but if I have a day where i'm really craving something i'll eat it and not worry too much about it. I think it stops me from going crazy knowing that I can have it if I want to. If I do have a free day now I don't go all out eating whatever I want, i still show some restraint.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm all for indulding yourself once in a while, but I don't necessarily schedule it, or make it a full day. If I can make it through a weekend and stay on track, all the better. But if I want to go out for beer and wings with friends one night, or have a little dessert once in a while, I try not to beat myself up over it either. (I do, however, make a point to throw in some extra cardio to try to counteract it... lol).

I was on another weightloss support site a while back, and this concept of cheat day was SO polarizing, it was unreal. People who DON'T 'cheat' tended to get all high and mighty (and I have NOT read all the replies in this thread, so please don't anyone thing I'm talking about you, if indeed you got high and mighty in this thread ;) ). Typically the line of thinking that 'non-cheat day' people seemed to have is that we need to learn to indulge ourselves with things other than food. And that's all well and good - FOR THEM. But we all have to realize we all have DIFFERENT lessons to learn here, and what works for one person may cause another person to fall off the wagon and binge.

So for ME, hey, I'm a foodie, I love good food and drink. For ME, the lesson to learn is moderation - enjoying a dinner out with friends and my husband once a week (as opposed to every other night). So in that respect, a little "cheat" is a good thing for me. :)
  • Trackiebloop
    Options
    I would love to give myself a 'free day' but I don't think I could trust myself to stop there, it's taken me so long long to get out of the 'oh I'll start the diet tomorrow' frame of mind, and I'm actually losing weight and feeling good about it. Having said that, I wouldn't count calories on special occasions, birthdays etc, I find that easier to stick, with it being a few times a year rather than every week, but if you guys can have a free day a week and still lose weight, go for it and enjoy it....... :o)
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my free day!!!!! However, you have to make sure that a free day doesn't mean eating 3 fast food super sized meals and a box of twinkies!!!! My free day is always on Sunday and I go to my aunts house for dinner of which is nearly impossible to count the calories. Then I treat myself to one normal size candy bar or a single serve brownie. It has worked for me!

Exactly! I do a free day and it works for me, so if there is something I've been dying to have, I allow myself. However, a couple weeks ago I was so excited about my free day, I went to sonic and got their appetizer trio (which is moz. sticks, onion rings and tater tots), and their red velvet cheesecake blast. It made me sick! So I realized, it's nice to have that one day where I don't worry with counting calories (it's a good brain rest), but not to go crazy.

So last week I had a cheat meal. I made rolls and mashed potatoes with it. So it wasn't really that bad of food, but it was more calories.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've had a "free" day every week since I started my journey in Feb 2010 and have lost steadily for a total of 45 lbs so far. Only 15 more to go to reach my goal!

Now, when I say "free", what I mean is that I will eat more calories than the 1200 I'm allotted and the exercise calories I earn, and will usually eat whatever I want that day. BUT I still log everything on MFP regardless of what it is so that I am still accountable, even if I've eaten 3000 calories that day. I have found that still logging what I eat on those days keeps me from going really crazy.

I also often eat what some would consider "junk" on other days, just not much of it, and usually a healthier version of it. It might not work for some people, but it works for me and is more realistic to the lifestyle I want to have for the rest of my life. There's no way I am never going to eat a chocolate bar again, so to be so strict as to not allow myself to have one when I want one doesn't work for me. I just don't have one every day of the week!
  • madijo41
    madijo41 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For 6 months I had no cheat days, the last month I have been doing a cheat meal every Saturday and Im still doing good.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't *plan* a free day, but I've had a couple of meals where I've gone over, and I don't sweat it too much. I think it depends on the kind of person you are, and how easy it is for you to just do it once. For me, I can splurge every now and then on whatever and it's not a problem, but if I so much as take a lick of chocolate frosting, I'm shoving chocolate in my face for the rest of the day. So I try to avoid it when I can. If you're the kind of person that can have a big "cheat" meal or a whole cheat day and then get back on track the next day, go for it! I've heard from numerous sources that it can help keep your metabolism guessing and help with weight loss. But if you're the kind of person that gets a taste of something and then can't stop craving it for days, then it's probably not a good idea. It just depends.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    No cheat days here, but I'm an all or nothing sort of girl. Total Type A personality. If I want a treat, a yummy snack or fab dinner I just plan for it and count it. Or get in a great workout, so I can enjoy myself. I understand the need to live life and have fun and not always be worried about calories, but with another 25+ pounds to lose I don't want to lose sight of my main goal right now. Good luck!