Worried about getting in a swimming costume

Options
2»

Replies

• bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is the long term exposure to chlorine but swimmer don't notice anything....a guy I work with swims almost everyday and a woman I work with was always joking about him wearing a speedo...non swimmers get the giggles about men wearing speedos...swimmers don't get it because we can't figure out what else he would wear.

My point (and I think I have one) is swimmers don't care. Put on your suit and get in the pool and you too won't care....you will just love how it makes you feel.

The very few shallow gym goes who would comment about someone won't get in a pool because after a few laps everyone looks like a drowned cat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This thread hits home for me. We are going on vacation in a couple of months and I am freaking out a bit about the swimsuit part. Logically, I know it's not a big deal and I know that once I'm in the pool my body isn't really visible anyway. But, illogically (!), I'm uncomfortable with it. So I get where you're coming from, OP. I'm glad you're not letting this stop you. Have fun at the pool!
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I recently started swimming again and had the same worries. Many pools/gyms track attendence by the hour for marketing purposes. You could always check with them and see when the least amount of people go and then go at that time to slowly build confidence. Also, at my pool, many older people go very early in the morning and I felt more comfortable initially swimming at that time, then slowly eased myself into the busier times. They tended to be less judgmental of my body and were much friendlier.

Honestly, some people may stare, but I always try to remind myself that I'm doing this for me and that I have just as much of a right to try to get healthy as they do. F-them, you know? Once my head is down in the water and I'm monitoring my breathing, they totally fall out of view. The chances of me running into these people again are slim. It also pushes me to be the fat girl that's swimming faster than all of them. :happy: Was this confidence instantaneous? No. Am I normally a confident person? Not in the slightest. Did it take a long time to build it up? Yes.

Though I couldn't really afford it, I splurged on a new swimsuit that I loved, felt confident wearing and that was cut in a way that most flattered my body. I considered it an investment in me. Without the confidence I was less likely to go to the pool, which was a bigger waste of money than buying a new suit.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Even when I was thin and fit, I felt like crap in a bathing suit. I swear some jerk invented bathing suits for the sole purpose of making women feel like crap.

In any event, I can tell you that I've had this conversation with many friends and the overwhelming theme is that, regardless of size or ability, most people will admire you for getting in the pool and taking control of your health. Very few people would judge you, and those that would don't deserve a moment of your thought. Enjoy swimming, it's a safe and effective way to burn calories and get fit.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I see ALOT of extremely obese people in the pool and I never think anything of it. (not saying you are obese) no one stares. no one makes a deal of it. swimming is AWESOME for the joints and great exercise. don't be too hard on yourself. one day, that swimsuit will be TOO LARGE! :smile:

That was one of my first NSV's. The day I had to buy a smaller swimsuit was wonderful!
  • csec6pak
    csec6pak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I take my daughter to swimming lessons every week at our rec center, and there is an adult "aqua aerobics" class at the same time. There is not a woman in that class under 200 pounds. They all seem to be having a great time socializing and "aquasizing" to the Beatles.

I promise you won't be the biggest person there.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    noone wil care!

+1
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    So looks like I might be a Sunday swimmer this week too.

my friend who I usually go to the gym with (sundays, tuesday, wednesday and fridays) text me yesterday saying she was not going the gym yesterday as is having her dog put to sleep today, so last night I went with my husband instead.
    She also said I dont know i will be on sunday so probably wont be going then either.

so Iv decided that if she texts to say defo not doing gym tomorrow IM GONNA GO SWIMMING INSTEAD

(I could go gym on my own but on a sunday getting the bus would take me longer than the time id be in the gym where as i can walk (10mins) to my local pool)

when i was just considering this as an option I thought it was a good idea, since telling my husband thats my plan of action, i feel sick at the thought of going BUT if im not going to the gym I will not be just sat at home doing nothing I WILL GO SWIMMING

now im hoping she texts to say is going to the gym and will be picking me up :laugh:
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The other people at the pool came to work out, not to gawk at you. People who think they are miraculously slimmer in street clothes are wrong. You are the size you are and people see that regardless of what you are wearing. Jump into the swimwear, strut yourself over to the water proudly knowing that in a relatively short time you will be smaller, and people who are not doing what you do, will not be! You go!
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Even when I was thin and fit, I felt like crap in a bathing suit. I swear some jerk invented bathing suits for the sole purpose of making women feel like crap.

This! I'm more comfortable naked in front of loads of people than I am in a swimsuit.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Go get your swim on. It will make you feel good and be good for you. You will look however you look. No one cares. Really. Swimming is not about how you look in the suit it is how it makes you feel.
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would say remind yourself no one pays much attention, and honestly I don't think anyone looks any 'fatter' in certain clothes than others. It's a mental thing. Quit putting yourself down and Have fun!!
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl and I love to go swimming. The thing is I am not there for anyone but me. I don't care what other people think about how I look in my bathing suit. Besides, I always think that even if people are looking at me and going eww gross why is she in a swimsuit; my mental response can be well at least I'm not sitting on my couch chowing down on chips or something. I am doing something about it! When I go to the pool I am not even the largest person there most times. Judging by your pic, you are way smaller than me, so don't worry about it. Go swim and get healthy!! You'll see that pretty soon you will feel more confident because you are working hard and you won't care because swimming feels so amazing!

That has got to be the best response on this topic. You should care less about what others think than about your wellbeing (easy said, but not so easily done I appreciate).

For me I still have the impression that people see the old me when they see me with a shirt off or in swimmers. But now I think ... "I don't care about that, I am doing this to get a better me, and that's what counts."

Be strong, be positive, and great things will follow.
  • terriveller
    terriveller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    After a life time of sitting on the sidelines because I was worried about how I looked in a swimsuit, or gym clothes i decided to take control and go out and enjoy doing things and not worried about how I look. I love swimming and working out at the gym and no one has ever made me feel that I was inferior. Started out at 270 and size 26 now around 215 and size 18. If it really makes you uncomfortable you can usually find swim shorts to go over swimsuit. Bottom line we became overweight sitting on the sideline worried about what everyone thinks. By getting out and playing with kids, walking, swimming or whatever we are passionate about, we are taking back control of our lives, health and happiness.
  • kathy6655
    kathy6655 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    At the start of my weight loss I decided swimming and walking were the best options for me, like you and loads of people on here, I chickened out when I put the swim suit on the fit was very snug. I decided to bite the bullet and I now go to a session four times a week. Has anyone made a comment - no, has anyone laughed at me - no. You tend to have 2 types of people going swimming those like me doing it for weight/health and those who are just very good swimmers and do their own thing. The first time is hard but please do it after 2 months I've made friends and don't even think about walking in the pool oh and the snug swimsuits fits nicely now you never know I might drop a size or 2 soon:)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how you look. I swim at my local Y and the majority of folks are very big. Don't deprive yourself of the wonderful things swimming will do for you just because you are self conscience. Believe me, you won't regret it.
    I swim in a dolphin aquatard suit. It's got longer legs and is designed for lap swimming. It covers everything and I don't worry about it riding up etc. I got mine on amazon. It's not fashionable but I am very comfy in it. It was not expensive either.

There is a swimmers group here...check it out.

See you in the pool!! :bigsmile:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I take my daughter to swimming lessons every week at our rec center, and there is an adult "aqua aerobics" class at the same time. There is not a woman in that class under 200 pounds. They all seem to be having a great time socializing and "aquasizing" to the Beatles.

I promise you won't be the biggest person there.

My aquasize class has a nice variety of people. We have a good mix of about 1/3 men, 2/3 women and have people from very slim and toned to very large (I am on the larger side but not the biggest there). Some do the entire class sitting on a noodle because their knees can't take any impact and I have seen a couple of those go from the noodle to doing low impact with only the water for support.

Whether you swim laps, do an exercise class, or jump in the pool and tread water for 30 minutes, the pool is a wonderful way to get moving!
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Its not about thinking i looking thiner in street clother or fatter in a swim suit.

Im fully awear how big i am clothes of or on, whatever said clothes are.
    its more how I feel.
    its irrelvivant who is or is not looking at me, if I feel uncomfortable I feel uncomfortable FULL STOP.

I may not look thiner in street clothes by by god do they cover up more of my body than a swi suit does.

yet on that not it dont mean I feel anymore confident (or judged at times) walking down the street fully clothed.
    And as it goes im not even as big as some people (in generally not pointing the finger at anyone here)
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. I do feel better about it.
    However I will stress that this is not about what other people think of me, it's about what I think of me.
  • kaiouap
    kaiouap Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am so short-sighted that when I leave my glasses in the locker room I can barely see other people.

Than I can use my cat strategy. If I can't see you, you can't see me!

And to be rational, I think that _maybe_ people on a beach may be judging other people bodies.
    In the pool? Not so much. They are just there to swim, exactly like you!