Anyone tried a diet pill that worked?

Options
Has anyone tried a diet pill that worked? Like one that helps you curb your appetite?

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    There are some that are by prescription only that are tested/approved by the FDA. The ones over the counter are not tested. If you want to try the pill route, you need to see your doctor. Realize though that eventually, you have to get off the pill and have to learn how to eat - and that's where people end up gaining the weight back.
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If diet pills worked, nobody would be fat.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A lot of them work just fine...until you stop taking them...
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    When I first started changing my eating habits and before I lost insurance, I went to my doctor for advice and to get my BP checked etc. I went home with phentermine.

I only used it for 2 weeks (she wanted to keep me on it for 3 months), but the pros were:

1) Using it to control my appetite since I have a binge eating problem, I learned to eat smaller portions by taking it
    2) It upped my self esteem a bit seeing the dramatic weight loss in those first 2 weeks and gave me an "I can do this!" attitude

Cons

1) It raised my blood pressure DRAMATICALLY to the point where I decided on my own not to take it
    2) I already have some insomnia issues but it kept me awake all night every night

I didn't gain back any of the weight I lost (21 lbs) in the first 2 weeks, but I also continued eating in a deficit after I stopped taking them.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was on duramine 30mg for a month. I lost 6kgs, however the side effects were pretty bad. Alot of people dont suffer any negatives, and if I stayed on it for the prescribed 3mths I would have easily lost the weight I wanted.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I am on adipex-p. Doctor prescribed. If you are too large they will not prescribe it to you. My husband 340 lb they would not give it to him. They wanted him to loose 40 then they would talk about it again.

Me I am on it. I started on it at 245lb. I am 233 now 20 days later. Yes I am on a low calorie diet 1200-1400 a day,

A lot of people will down the use of pills. But I see it no differently than if you had surgery.
    Surgery and pills can help and fail. With both you need to change you lifestyle/way of eating for the rest of your life to keep it off. I know this, And when I stop the pills I will still be loosing weight and keep it off.

if a stomach has been streached out too big you will have a hard time ever feeling full. So taking this pill a few months would help shrink your tummy because you are eating less. So with a smaller tummy when you get off the pill, you will be fuller sooner, and eat less. As long as you keep your new habits.

A good example of this is I use to be able to eat an entire medium pizza. The other day I made a pizza for dinner. I worked out for two hours that morning to have the calories for a extra sclice. So 3 total. I ended up being full and unable to eat the extra one I worked out for. I was ok with that, and happy.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It's a bad idea IMO.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The only ones that I know worked were Dexatrim (pulled off the market because it was speed), Fen-Phen (pulled for killing people) and Alli (makes people poop their pants). I think the Alli works because people stop eating fat so they won't poop their pants, lol.

I'm not up on all the new ones. I've heard so much about this Green Tea Extract supplement. A friend of mine took it, per the labeling directions. She does EVERY SINGLE stupid diet thing available and she said it helped a lot, but gave her the flop sweats and did I think she should stop taking it? (Duh.) She's usually pretty honest about things not working. I really wonder about that stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't take a pill just to lose weight. All pills have possible side effects, so if it's possible to fix something without a pill, that's the best way for me.

I do have to credit all of my weight loss to the fact that they regulate one of my hormones with a pill, though. If it weren't for the hormone, I'd be 600 pounds. I do nothing now I didn't do before...hell, I worked harder before!...and now I lose where once I could maintain at best.
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have taken and am back on it, a combination of two. They are OTC, but they've worked. I get them at the Dollar Tree. One is called Weight Loss, and on the label it says to take 3 tablets 3 times daily with food. I don't do that. I take one daily with my other morning pills. The second one is called Green Tea Slim. The label also calls for 3 per day with food. I don't do that either. that one goes with my morning pills too. Of course the other pills in the morning I take are prenatal vitamins, vitamin d, Depakote, vitex, propranolol, and wellbutrin. I'm also s'pposed to be taking Krill Oil, but unfortunately I can't afford it. I stopped taking fish oil that was in placement of the Krill Oil, because of the smell and after burp-it literally smelled like rotten sushi. Yuck. But yea...those two I mentioned above(weight loss and green tea slim), they work great for me.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    your stomach does not stretch out or shrink that is a common misconception.your stomach can only hold so much food.It does expand to a degree when you eat but it will stay the normal size when you eat less. only way to make it smaller is by surgery
    I am on adipex-p. Doctor prescribed. If you are too large they will not prescribe it to you. My husband 340 lb they would not give it to him. They wanted him to loose 40 then they would talk about it again.

Me I am on it. I started on it at 245lb. I am 233 now 20 days later. Yes I am on a low calorie diet 1200-1400 a day,

A lot of people will down the use of pills. But I see it no differently than if you had surgery.
    Surgery and pills can help and fail. With both you need to change you lifestyle/way of eating for the rest of your life to keep it off. I know this, And when I stop the pills I will still be loosing weight and keep it off.

if a stomach has been streached out too big you will have a hard time ever feeling full. So taking this pill a few months would help shrink your tummy because you are eating less. So with a smaller tummy when you get off the pill, you will be fuller sooner, and eat less. As long as you keep your new habits.

A good example of this is I use to be able to eat an entire medium pizza. The other day I made a pizza for dinner. I worked out for two hours that morning to have the calories for a extra sclice. So 3 total. I ended up being full and unable to eat the extra one I worked out for. I was ok with that, and happy.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you notice it, every single diet pill says it will work best when combined with DIET and EXERCISE, so why not just skip the drug that may be hazardous to your health and save some money.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    That was good information about prescribed diet meds, thank you for sharing your experiences. I did not think there were any pills that actually worked. Thankfully I am able to manage without them and the side effects.

If I was morbidly obese and could not manage, I would not hesitate seeing the primary care physician to work out a plan. There is a reason why it is called morbid.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    In my opinion nothing can replace clean eating and moderate working out. Unless you have some sort of metabolic disorder or you have more than 100 lbs to lose, I Wouldn't recommend getting mixed up in diet pills, any kind. the side effects are risky and can cause many complications. Especially if you aren't morbidly obese, good luck getting a doctor to prescribe them to you. The best a doctor might do is refer you to a nutritionist.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    If you notice it, every single diet pill says it will work best when combined with DIET and EXERCISE, so why not just skip the drug that may be hazardous to your health and save some money.

^This. Just eat at a moderate calorie deficit and learn sustainable habits. Make this about the rest of your life and not the means to an end. Because the last thing I'm sure you want is to reach your goal only to end up where you started. You have to set yourself up for success. Even if that means stumbling and taking time. This isn't a race
  • Polishprinsezz
    Polishprinsezz Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hold on, let me grab my bag of popcorn for this one.
  • MarkSharkk
    MarkSharkk Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There really is no such thing as a "diet pill". There are pills that speed up how fast your body burns calories and fat, but it also requires a strict and clean diet, along with cardio in order to truly cut fat and lose weight.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    When I first started changing my eating habits and before I lost insurance, I went to my doctor for advice and to get my BP checked etc. I went home with phentermine.

I only used it for 2 weeks (she wanted to keep me on it for 3 months), but the pros were:

1) Using it to control my appetite since I have a binge eating problem, I learned to eat smaller portions by taking it
    2) It upped my self esteem a bit seeing the dramatic weight loss in those first 2 weeks and gave me an "I can do this!" attitude

Cons

1) It raised my blood pressure DRAMATICALLY to the point where I decided on my own not to take it
    2) I already have some insomnia issues but it kept me awake all night every night

I didn't gain back any of the weight I lost (21 lbs) in the first 2 weeks, but I also continued eating in a deficit after I stopped taking them.
    I have also taken phentermine. I took it when I was in my 20s at a time when I had already been exercising quite heavily for several months and seeing almost no results. (yeah, my problem has ALWAYS been mostly in the kitchen, I actually enjoy physical activity). It definitely worked for me at controlling my appetite. So much so that I only could take 1/2 of the dose! It was AMAZING to me because I have always had a voracious appetite, and even when I would go months and months eating small portions, my body still felt almost constant hunger so having my appetite gone was a Godsend. With the pills, I ate nutritious lower calorie foods and while I still WANTED to eat some of the more calorie dense "naughty" foods, the fact that I didn't have an overpowering appetite and wasn't constantly thinking about food, made it easier to resist them. Unfortunately, I only could take it for a little over a month because the side effects were getting in the way of my exercise. I found that I could no longer get a deep breath and while I was out on an 11 mile hike alone in the mountains, I became so winded, I didn't know if I could make it home. The doctor checked me and said that I was fine and could continue taking it but t I told him I'd rather be FAT than deal with the side effects (the other side effect being constipation)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have taken and am back on it, a combination of two. They are OTC, but they've worked. I get them at the Dollar Tree. One is called Weight Loss, and on the label it says to take 3 tablets 3 times daily with food. I don't do that. I take one daily with my other morning pills. The second one is called Green Tea Slim. The label also calls for 3 per day with food. I don't do that either. that one goes with my morning pills too. Of course the other pills in the morning I take are prenatal vitamins, vitamin d, Depakote, vitex, propranolol, and wellbutrin. I'm also s'pposed to be taking Krill Oil, but unfortunately I can't afford it. I stopped taking fish oil that was in placement of the Krill Oil, because of the smell and after burp-it literally smelled like rotten sushi. Yuck. But yea...those two I mentioned above(weight loss and green tea slim), they work great for me.

Hi. Please explain how it's working so well when your ticker says you lost 0? I'm confused is all.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    Options
    synedrex....I could care less about the experts in here
  • MrsLady30
    MrsLady30 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few and none worked for me at all... :( I found the way to stop craving crap food and lose weight was to not eat it at all. People keep saying "all in moderation" but that doesn't include junk that makes one binge, imo. Personally, I want to live a healthier life and try to do that by not eating processed foods and eating a plant based diet (just my personal choice). I can't tolerate gluten (migraines, breaks me out, gives me hives... sucks) so gave that up too.

I hope you can find something that works for you.