Eating only once a day - What are your thoughts

Options
I am asking because i have been doing this for around 6 weeks now. It was not my intention when i started out to do this, it just happened. I started by having a slimfast shake for breakfast and dinner and then a meal for tea. After 2 weeks i was getting fed up with the shakes (Who wants a drink 2 milkshakes a day for the rest of there lives?) so i simply cut them out (again not intentionally) it just happened. I now eat one meal a day and do 1 bike ride a day (1 1/2 hours) i seem to be losing weight steadily, not loads each week but i am fitting into clothes i never used to. I havent weighed myself once since i started as i dont have scales. I think this has helped me stick to it to be honest. I dont even get hungry anymore and am so much happier.

Any one else tried this intermittent eating? _ What was your experience?

Replies

• squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    there's a difference between fasting and starving yourself. are you getting enough nutrients and protein from one meal? are you reaching your daily caloric goal? you're gonna lose weight if you are barely eating and still exercising and i can tell you right now that is NOT something you wanna keep up with, and i would put that to a stop as soon as you can. as for the shakes, i feel you but why are you limiting yourself to just shakes? there are plenty of foods to enjoy that won't ruin your daily calorie needs. but if you're just eating once a day, and getting enough calories in one time period then that's pretty okay. just as long as you don't feel run down.
  • How big is this meal? When do you eat it? I personally think only eating once a day can't be good for you. Why not throw in a breakfast, lunch and dinner? I'd be worried that I wasn't eating enough calories. Not to mention protein, vegetables or carbs.
  • FletcherSymons
    Options
    Hey Squish, That's the thing I feel great. I am never tired anymore and its improved alot of things. I do eat what ever i like for tea (I dont count calories) so probably eat upto 1200 for tea. I also drink 1/2 cups of tea a day which has 4 sugars (I know that's bad) but studies have shown that the human body was probably once made to only consume one meal a day. It can infact be good to only eat in that 2 hour window a day.

Although there are thousands of different studies that all tell you different things so who knows right?

P.S i eat it around tea time 5/6 but usually ride before or after.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    I read that eating through out the day is good for you. I am trying to lose a ill weight but I make I eat my calories even if I am not hungry, I may not eat a whole meal but I am not going below 1500!calories. However I know when you eat one meal a day the body starts to detox itself and goes thoroughly and do a cleanse from blood , lungs, pores etc. I know if a person has to lose extra weight it could be a good start but when you down to a lower body fat percent than that maybe a different story. But in the end you know your body and bicycle is not an intensive working out. If you are deciding to do strength training or high intensity exercises I surely change my diet
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    It's not for me,I do much better having breakfast and then food spread throughout the day.

But your body will not start detoxing itself if you do this OP.

And I guess if you are reaching your calorie target this way and it works for you, why not.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are doing, without knowing it, a combination of Leangains and the 5:2 fastdiet.co.uk.
    I'm doing it too, just softer activity like walking on fast days and spinning/strength on feed days or yoga as it pleases me. I eat from 2-8pm. Skipping breakfast, but I do have a late light lunch and dinner later. My goal intake is 1200, I don't eat back on fasting days, but I do eat back some on feeding days.

I feel great! I've lost 6 cm (2.3 inches) in my waist since I started with the IF eating pattern almost 2 weeks ago.I thought before that I had to have a full dinner with carbs 3 hours prior to workout. Nope. I did a hard workout yesterday with only a proteinshake in my belly, max heartrate was 97%! 3 mins total in red zone, 10 mins in orange, 11 mins in yellow and 24 mins in green. Plus strength training after.

As long as you feel fine, there's is no reason to stop. You should however be very careful to plan your meals so that you get the nutrients your body needs. Going to the doctor run some tests, to get a baseline, wouldn't hurt either. That way you'll know if there's something wrong if your values change. Maybe quarterly checkups?

Feel free to add me, I would like more buddies that are into exercise.

Good luck:)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Google intermittent fasting. There are lots of people doing it. Usually with a 4-8 hour eating wiindow

Just make sure you eat enough in that time (are you sure 1200 is enough for you?) and that you get all the macro and micro nutrients your body needs
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I did that when I was in my 20s (late 20s) and it worked for me… you body only needs so much. make sure you're eating nutrient rich foods and drinking lots of water. just remember that when you decide to eat normal again, go at it slowly and let you body adjust… you will gain back the weight if you don't build muscle.
  • fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nooo this is not healthy! you can make yourself ill doing this, mess up your metabolism and gain it all back when you eat normal. You will lose muscle which is important in weight loss, and possibly develop an eating disorder. I done this years ago and it completely messed me up! you need breakfast, Eat clean and healthy and add healthy snacks and keep doing what your doing with the exercise and your body will thank you for it, add some resistance training to build muscle and your a winner xx
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Fit4eva, why do you ( general) need breakfast?

I need it myself or I get too hungry later in the morning but that's me - lots of people manage fine without it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hey Squish, That's the thing I feel great. I am never tired anymore and its improved alot of things. I do eat what ever i like for tea (I dont count calories) so probably eat upto 1200 for tea. I also drink 1/2 cups of tea a day which has 4 sugars (I know that's bad) but studies have shown that the human body was probably once made to only consume one meal a day. It can infact be good to only eat in that 2 hour window a day.

Although there are thousands of different studies that all tell you different things so who knows right?

P.S i eat it around tea time 5/6 but usually ride before or after.
    If it's working for you great, so long as you're getting your nutrients. Also, there is nothing 'BAD' about having sugar.
  • fit4eva86
    Options

I need it myself or I get too hungry later in the morning but that's me - lots of people manage fine without it.
    Because you have not eaten all night, where are you gonna have the energy to take on the day and do your exercises? Breakfast kick starts your metabolism and stops you from being starving later on in the day and overeating.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Because you have not eaten all night, where are you gonna have the energy to take on the day and do your exercises? Breakfast kick starts your metabolism and stops you from being starving later on in the day and overeating.
    Nope
  • fit4eva86
    Options

Nope
    YES
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Nooo this is not healthy! you can make yourself ill doing this, mess up your metabolism and gain it all back when you eat normal. You will lose muscle which is important in weight loss, and possibly develop an eating disorder. I done this years ago and it completely messed me up! you need breakfast, Eat clean and healthy and add healthy snacks and keep doing what your doing with the exercise and your body will thank you for it, add some resistance training to build muscle and your a winner xx

OP ignore this advice. If eating one meal a day works for you then do it. Make sure you are getting enough macros and calories for your daily activity, as 1200 sounds a bit low but I don't know your stats either.

Eta: I read your profile, and you are the dude in the picture. Yeah 1200 is too low fore a male doing your activity.
  • Alluminati
    Options

Nope
    YES
    Nope
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Nope
    YES

tumblr_n32wezVes41tw1vhco1_500.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Nope
    YES
    How so? Our metabolism never stops, we don't need it "kickstarted". We are not old motorcycles
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you're eating enough calories for a whole day, it must be awful on your digestion and, i would think your blood sugar, too.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    If you're eating enough calories for a whole day, it must be awful on your digestion and, i would think your blood sugar, too.

What?