How fast can you run/walk a mile?

Options

Replies

• StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started at 20 minute miles and now walk around 17 minute miles (in a 3 month time frame).

I went to the track and timed myself one day pushing myself to try and go as fast as I could...and was so proud of myself for completing a mile in 14 minutes and 33 seconds.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    In March my average mile was 11.30 a minute. Now 9 minute mile. I only run or do cardio once a week.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I ran 3.2 miles today at 10:17 minute miles. Not where I want to be, but I'm working on it. Like someone else said, don't compare yourself to others. I started out around 15 min miles. I run off and on, have been biking a lot more than running and still have 40 lbs to take off. Just keep plugging away, you'll get faster in no time!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So tell me, How fast can you do a mile? :happy:

It depends on what my session is and what sort of terrain I'm running on, although last night walking back after dinner I was walking at a 13 min/mile

For a short fast session I've been down to a 6:30 mile, but I can only sustain that for one mile. For a longer session I'll be slower than that. Last week I averaged a 9 minute mile for 6 mile sessions, and I've held that pace for just over 13 miles in the past.

On hilly trails I'm slower than that.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    cant yet run a mile, doing fast walk then jog for intervals of 200 metres then recover!
    trying to build up speed/ stamina on treadmill doing 5k every other day.
    1600m ( metric mile) time currently about 15 m, total 5k in 46 mins but reducing weekly.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It really depends. If I went all out in a run/walk I could probably be around 10-11 min/mile. However, I am marathon training right now so my runs, almost all of runs, are done considerably slower. I am training now around 13:30 - 14 min/mile average for a run/walk.

However, my speed is definitely improving as the pounds go away :smile:
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I currently walk a 15 minute mile, with a full backpack on my pack (contains lunch, water, jacket, umbrella etc). Earlier in the year though, I was doing 13 minute miles, but that was at the height of my power walking training for the MoonWalk.

I have no about how long it would take me to run a mile. I don't even know if I could run a full mile without collapsing in a heap on the floor! lol
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    The absolute fastest I can complete a mile is 16 minutes. My normal pace for walking is 21 minutes. I'm a slow poke.. always have been.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Faster that the bear that's after me!!
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    As part of a 10K, which I do regularly (ish) I will run about an 8 minute mile. Various conditions will affect this and it's best to judge it over a period of time.

But unless you're racing you only need to test you against you (and you don't even have to do that if you don't want to).

You've done the hard part and well done for that. Don't beat yourself up if you're slower than anyone else (and I apprecaite that may not have been the point of the post).

Best of luck.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I do a " jalk". I guess my pace now is about 16:45 a mile. I am progressing to where I jog more than walk. I do have a repaired knee. I think I favor it more than I should.....
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say well done, congratulations and awesome for you. Now that you've done a mile, what's next?

I actually do 2 miles almost everyday (I'm new to running) not just one. I'm thinking of just sticking to running 2 miles until i feel like i can do more. :-)
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say well done, congratulations and awesome for you. Now that you've done a mile, what's next?

I actually do 2 miles almost everyday (I'm new to running) not just one. I'm thinking of just sticking to running 2 miles until i feel like i can do more. :-)
    Good for you! If you have the time, add in walking intervals. Say, run a mile, walk a half mile, then run your 2nd mile. With the walking interval in between you'll be able to increase the distance on your 2nd mile quicker.

I'm a speed-walker; I don't run at all. I can walk a mile in 13 min. I can do 7 miles in 85 min. Just keep adding on gradually and enjoy seeing the progress you're making!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Can race walk a 12-13 minute mile, and run a mile in 8-10 minutes. My best 5k was in 27 minutes, I'd love to get it down to 24 though.
  • amandamaynv
    amandamaynv Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The fastest I've done is just under 12 minutes but I didn't stop at that mile either so I was pacing myself. I also am alway pushing a double jogging stroller with 50+ pounds of kids :). Maybe I should go on an early morning mile run without the kids and see what I can do!
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I walk at a pretty brisk pace, pushing a stroller and draging a dog behind me that has to pee on something every 50ft it takes me about 15 minutes to go a mile. I'm not a fan of running (asthma induced by exercise, makes it rough on me), but now I'm thinking I should load up on my inhaler tie on my shoes, and see what I can do at a jog
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    It depends on how far I'm running. If I am just going one mile and I push myself I will go about 7 1/2 minutes. But on a three mile run I usually go 11 minute miles. Longer and they are more like 12 minutes.

If I walk and stay focused then I do 15 minute miles. If my mind wanders I go slower!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Alternating running and walking works really well for me. I got in 7.5 miles yesterday in less than an hour and 20 minutes.

Good Luck
  • bahls24
    bahls24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I started out slow like you did.Have good days and bad days,but my best overall time is12:30 min/mile,