Anyone doing the Low carb/ High fat & protien "diet"?

Options
Good morning I never really post on her but i am curious about something.... Im in a facebook group and their purpose is helping people maintain a low carb high fat/ protein WOE. The things that they post on there seems very unhealthy. They use pork grinds in everything, load up on heavy cream, they love butter and a host of other things. As long as they dont eat anything over 20g of carbs a day (for some people a lower amount). Is this healthy? Is this a successful way to drop pounds. Wouldn't adding all of that fat to ones diet increase other problems ( heart problems etc)? And they dont eat fruit.... I was always tought that fruit was good? Im not trying to look down on anyones WOE i am just a little confused and wanted to know if this method is effective. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    This WOE works for me but everyone is different.
  • jaylynporternxg
    Options
    This is a low-carb, moderate protein diet. That means that most of your calories are going to have to come from fat. That's why they talk about using such high fat foods, like butter, as part of their diet.

The biggest problem I ever see people talking about while low-carbing is not being able to move brown. I'm not sure about cholesterol numbers in the long run.

I have, however, used it successfully in the past to lose a bunch of weight, and I now don't eat grains as part of the effort to lose weight (it blunts hunger).

Hope that helps a bit. I would direct you to an FAQ offsite, but I don't want to be flagged for spam.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own method and as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, some people just use a different route to achieve that deficit.

Personally I don't like a low carb approach. Some people will say that is the only way they can lose weight. Whatever way you chose to do it just remember it has to be something that you can sustain forever. If someone is going very low carbs to lose weight what is going to happen when they reach their goal and begin to revert back to old eating habits and start eating more carbs? When you start to add those carbs back in you are also adding more calories, it can be done, but you have to be aware of it.

Bottom line is a calorie deficit is the only absolute requirement for weight loss, how one chooses to achieve that deficit will be their choice.
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this diet, I am lowering my refined carbs because I have PCOS and it's better for me. I do however know someone who is on a ketogenic diet and lost 6 stone over I think a year, and it was basically what you described - very limited carbs, high fat and protein, stuff like avocados, peanut butter, steak, double cream. It seems mad but it really worked for her, along with lots of working out, she swims a lot and does weight-lifting workouts. It suits her and her lifestyle, but I don't think I could do it!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Quite a few of us diabetics follow Dr. Bernstein's LCHF routine and have found great success in weight loss and normalized blood sugar numbers. In his book, Diabetes Solution, he explains why fat is not the enemy.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    That is basically the Adtkins diet. I did that a few years ago and I lost weight. The problem with that and ALL diets is that when you go off of them the weight comes back on.
    Thats what is good here on MFP. You eventually adjust your normal eating together with excersize to start losing weight and keep it off !!
  • Kittymarie83
    Kittymarie83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I was so confused lol. All these people loosing weight using things I was told to stay away from, I thought they were crazy!!! But I get it now... They were still at a caloric deficit so they lost still... Thanks again.
  • Kittymarie83
    Options
    Everyone has their own method and as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, some people just use a different route to achieve that deficit.

Personally I don't like a low carb approach. Some people will say that is the only way they can lose weight. Whatever way you chose to do it just remember it has to be something that you can sustain forever. If someone is going very low carbs to lose weight what is going to happen when they reach their goal and begin to revert back to old eating habits and start eating more carbs? When you start to add those carbs back in you are also adding more calories, it can be done, but you have to be aware of it.

Bottom line is a calorie deficit is the only absolute requirement for weight loss, how one chooses to achieve that deficit will be their choice.

Thanks
  • chandnir
    chandnir Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat about 25% carbs. 40% protein and 35% fat in a day.I love having butter and olive oil and my treat includes clotted cream with strawberries. I don't use pork rinds as that is unhealthy and I follow a variation of the Harcombe Diet. It's worked for me really well. As for fruit, I do eat it but limit it as I've reduced as much sugar as possible. Fruit juice for example is worse for this that fruits. I love most berries but am cautious with high sugar fruits like bananas unless I need a energy boost
    This is combination with regular exercise and careful eating has helped me lose about 11 KG in 3 months and also feel much better physically

Hopefully this helps clear some worries?
  • Kittymarie83
    Options
    I eat about 25% carbs. 40% protein and 35% fat in a day.I love having butter and olive oil and my treat includes clotted cream with strawberries. I don't use pork rinds as that is unhealthy and I follow a variation of the Harcombe Diet. It's worked for me really well. As for fruit, I do eat it but limit it as I've reduced as much sugar as possible. Fruit juice for example is worse for this that fruits. I love most berries but am cautious with high sugar fruits like bananas unless I need a energy boost
    This is combination with regular exercise and careful eating has helped me lose about 11 KG in 3 months and also feel much better physically

Hopefully this helps clear some worries?
    Yes this helps a lot... thank you... All of the post seemed to be about pork grinds, heavy cream, cream cheese pancakes... I didnt know what to think... and then when I did a little snooping most of them were still heavy. So I didnt see the logic. But thank you for explaining. Maybe they are just doing it wrong lol
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Good morning I never really post on her but i am curious about something.... Im in a facebook group and their purpose is helping people maintain a low carb high fat/ protein WOE. The things that they post on there seems very unhealthy. They use pork grinds in everything, load up on heavy cream, they love butter and a host of other things. As long as they dont eat anything over 20g of carbs a day (for some people a lower amount). Is this healthy? Is this a successful way to drop pounds. Wouldn't adding all of that fat to ones diet increase other problems ( heart problems etc)? And they dont eat fruit.... I was always tought that fruit was good? Im not trying to look down on anyones WOE i am just a little confused and wanted to know if this method is effective. Thanks in advance.

good morning hun. my husband eats this way and has lost about 20 lbs. he is very healthy (he sees his dr for regular check-ups) and looks amazing (works-out 5 times per week) it works for him. I have been very hesitant about starting it, but he finally convinced me to try, so I started it this weekend. I slept GREAT last night for the first time in a very long time!!! my aim is about <10g/carbs per day but that is only to start. I think people go up to 24+ even 50+g/day when they reach their goal weight.

my husband does eat fruit, just very very little. he likes grapes! also, berries. but he will stay under his carb goal for the day, so that means eating very few. he loves fried pork rinds (we had some last night as a snack!) we cook in butter and coconut oil and pour olive oil on our salads (yes, we can have greens!) he puts heavy cream in his coffee. his cholesterol is just fine, his blood pressure is completely normal. he does not consider this a diet, but like you said a WOE or lifestyle change.

everyone is different and it may not work for some, but I am trying it. hope to see the results my husband has.

:smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    That is basically the Adtkins diet. I did that a few years ago and I lost weight. The problem with that and ALL diets is that when you go off of them the weight comes back on.
    Thats what is good here on MFP. You eventually adjust your normal eating together with excersize to start losing weight and keep it off !!
    You know that MFP is a diet, right? You'll keep it off if you make lasting changes. It doesn't matter what approach you use, if you go back to what you were doing, (which many many folks do), you'll regain.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options

Yes this helps a lot... thank you... All of the post seemed to be about pork grinds, heavy cream, cream cheese pancakes... I didnt know what to think... and then when I did a little snooping most of them were still heavy. So I didnt see the logic. But thank you for explaining. Maybe they are just doing it wrong lol

I think you hit it when you said you didn't know what to think. that is how I was. I went Keto grocery shopping yesterday and was able to find healthy foods for us to eat. olives, cheese, chicken with skin (oh yum!) fish, beef, greens, flax, shrimp. I am making a wonderful chili today with cheese and sour cream, and tonight, bacon-wrapped shrimp with cream cheese. salads are a must for me, so I couldn't give them up and I don't have to, just small amounts of greens with a heavy cream-based Caesar dressing with chicken and no croutons - YUM! because this is a WOE for my husband and not a diet, we are incorporating healthy foods into our plan so that it is sustainable. (the pork rinds were a snack and treat LOL) once we reach our goal weight, we are going to remain grain-free (for other reasons, I have PCOS and mental health issues) so this is long-term for us.

HTH :flowerforyou:
  • Kittymarie83
    Options

good morning hun. my husband eats this way and has lost about 20 lbs. he is very healthy (he sees his dr for regular check-ups) and looks amazing (works-out 5 times per week) it works for him. I have been very hesitant about starting it, but he finally convinced me to try, so I started it this weekend. I slept GREAT last night for the first time in a very long time!!! my aim is about <10g/carbs per day but that is only to start. I think people go up to 24+ even 50+g/day when they reach their goal weight.

my husband does eat fruit, just very very little. he likes grapes! also, berries. but he will stay under his carb goal for the day, so that means eating very few. he loves fried pork rinds (we had some last night as a snack!) we cook in butter and coconut oil and pour olive oil on our salads (yes, we can have greens!) he puts heavy cream in his coffee. his cholesterol is just fine, his blood pressure is completely normal. he does not consider this a diet, but like you said a WOE or lifestyle change.

everyone is different and it may not work for some, but I am trying it. hope to see the results my husband has.

:smile:

That sounds great.... i cut my carbs but not so low.... And I was told to stay away from red meat because it doesnt digest fast but in all reality I havent really lost much weight so when I say people saying that they were loosing weight on a low carb/ high fat diet I was intrigued. Im exploring different methods right now hoping to find one that fits. Good luck on changing your habits and let me know how it goes for you... question... how long did it take your husband to loose 20lbs eating this way?
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    he lost 17lbs in just a couple of weeks, then the other 3 lbs over the last couple of weeks, BUT we went to las vegas on vacation, so he didn't lose while we were there _ BUT didn't gain either! LOL
    so I would say over the course of just over a month he has lost the 20 lbs. (7 weeks'ish??) I think he started early august.
  • Kittymarie83
    Options
    he lost 17lbs in just a couple of weeks, then the other 3 lbs over the last couple of weeks, BUT we went to las vegas on vacation, so he didn't lose while we were there _ BUT didn't gain either! LOL
    so I would say over the course of just over a month he has lost the 20 lbs. (7 weeks'ish??) I think he started early august.

Oh thats great... I would kill to loose 20lbs in a month. would you mind if I requested you as a friend so that maybe I can peek at your diary and get some ideas on what to eat and maybe we can work on this together.... lol im looking on line at recepies as we speak.... im not liking all the ideas but they have some pretty good looking stuff lol.... Im open to new things as long as I understand it.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb but don't eat pork rinds, bacon, cream cheese, heavy cream or many of the things many carbers seem to relish.

A few years ago my doctor strongly suggest I limit my sodium to 1500mg a day after I had a heard issue.
    I slowly started to cut out processed foods in an effort to get my sodium intake down. Eventually it led me to a low carb whole foods way of eating. Most days I am at 30 net carbs or lower.

I was able to get off blood pressure and cholesterol meds as a result of my low carb diet.

FYI.... My daily sodium is usually between 500mg and 800mg

• Camo_xxx
    Options
    Keep in mind, Losing fat still boils down to calories in vrs calories out. You lose fat at the rate you are in a calorie deficit.

3500 calorie deficit still equals a pound of fat lost.

Aside from the health benefits some get from low carb I think one main attraction of low carb is the fat and protein keep you full so you don't tend to overeat.
  • Kittymarie83
    Options
    That is great that you dont have to rely on blood pressure meds anymore!! I think the fact that the people stated that they lost with minimal exercise and eating this way had me intrigued. I work out 5 times a week so I basically am looking for a WOE to incoorporate along with it. I dont really eat breads but other starches are my downfall..... Im not a sweets kind of girl... So from everything everyone is stating is basically as long as im at a deficit it doesnt matter what im eating? I will still eat my veggies and fruits but I guess its not necessary to eliminate a complete food group.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Not nessasary to eliminate any food group.