5 am workout people

Options

Replies

• skill133
    Options
    I have sent some FR out to some of you but gotta get working, and if anyone else would like to add me send a FR. I would love to have some friends on here that are early risers to help motivate me and each other. I love all the suggestions, so keep them coming. I have to give huge shout out to those of you that get to the gym that early. That's amazing! I dont' think I could manage to geet out of my house and drive somewhere that early if I just struggle to go down the stairs and workout! I do like the idea of getting outside for a run or jog though and could see doing that.
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Up at 5:15 and get my workout in at the start of my day too! I workout at home so either a dvd in the downstairs or walk/jog outside depending on which day it is. Added benefit is in the cooler months my body is warmed up from the workout and I don't need to turn the shower water temp high. I also take a thyroid pill when I wake up while getting my coffee set up to turn on before I hit the shower. By the time my workout and shower is done an hour+ is gone and I am ready for coffee!
  • BeginningNoStop
    BeginningNoStop Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    On the days I finally work out I get up at 430 am and i'm at the gym by 5. I do better when I go early. I hate going in the evenings because I don't make it in the evening. When I go in the morning I have no excuses.
  • drich1989
    drich1989 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are awesome! You all are inspiring me. Getting up before I "have" to has seemed impossible but I'm giving it a shot tomorrow. I often plan evening workouts only to get home and not have the energy. I'm excited to get this going, thanks to you all!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person, and I've somehow managed to become accustomed to early morning workouts. The first few times were pure hell, my head was thinking "It is 5 AM, why in the hell is your alarm going off you crazy woman!"

What I've found works best for me is to have everything ready the night before, workout clothes laid out, water bottle in the fridge, work/professional clothes ready, etc. It also helped that I schedule my personal trainer sessions for early mornings, because if I'm paying $1/hr you bet your tush that I will be on time for it! (I'm a thrifty person) I think the worst part about getting into this habit was making myself go to bed earlier. Probably not the best idea, but I took over the counter sleep aid for a week or so in order to actually get to sleep hours before I'm used too. Having a full night sleep makes waking up easier, so I was going to bed at 9, when I was used to going at 11.

After a couple of weeks it gets a lot better, then eventually it becomes habit. Even with that said, I'm still not a morning person, I just make myself be one for the sake of my sanity since I never seemed to have time for anything when working out after work.
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get it in at 5 AM on weekdays and 6 AM on the weekends. It's just easier for me. I tried working out in the evening and almost died lol. You get used to it :-)
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've never been a morning person, but this year picked up the habit of getting up at 4:45 to be at the gym/pool by 5:15 ish!
    Due to the distance to where I go and traffic jams, it was the only realistic time, and it works perfectly!
    I get my exercise in, log it, and have the rest of the day ahead of me to deal with all the other stuff, and allowance on the calorie side of things too!
    What's not to love?
  • tracie999
    tracie999 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    04.50 up, drive into DC and in the gym at work for 06.00. Its great having a gym at work as not far to crawl to my desk. i'm then mad enogh to go again at 15.30.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I miss springing out of bed at 5:00, before the alarm, fully rested and looking forward to my morning run, starting the day with exercise, and feeling amazing all day for it. :sad: I was in the habit for a while and got out of it. it's hard to establish that kind of routine during the cold, dark months in the frozen north. :grumble:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    once a week I get up early to lift at this point- or I try- I normally will go Wed afternoon/evening- but it cuts into BF time- so I've been doing my best to get my workouts in Wed morning- it sucks- esp since it's only once a week- and Mon/Tues are my SUPER late nights.

BUT- having a real reason to get up is helpful. Even more helpful is laying out EVERYTHING- bag is packed- food is prepped coffee is ready to go- it makes it so easy to just get up- put the shoes on and stumble out the door. If you have to think about anything- odds are you'll be back in bed " not bothering with it"
  • amessam8
    amessam8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Alarm goes off at 4:15am and I am usually out the door by 4:50am. In the gym by 5am for 45-50min workout. The best thing to do is to mentally prepare yourself and accept the fact that you're going to get up that early. Then, make sure you layout everything the night before. I go straight to work from the gym, so I have to make sure that clothes are ironed, lunch is prepared and gym clothes are lined up the night before.

Bottom line: preparation is the key.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person at all. I was lucky to have a flexible schedule most of my life and was waking up between 8 and 9am. About a year ago I changed my job and now have to wake up at 6:30. It was terrible for the first month or two, but I got used to it.

Recently I was thinking about moving my runs to early morning, but always doubted I could do it. Reading you guys I feel terrified ????, but at the sametime I think one can get used to everything. Hmm, something to think about....
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    5:15 reporting in! I get up at 5:15 so I can get to the gym at 6. My gym is only like 5 minutes away, but I move SLOW in the morning, so I make sure and get up early enough so that I can still be a slug. It also helps me to pack EVERYTHING the night before. My gym stuff, my shower stuff, my office clothing, and my lunch. Done. So that all I need to do is pull on a sports bra and shoes before heading out to the car.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Once you get into the groove of it, things get easier. BUT when you get out of that groove it is really hard to start back up!

I had been doing 4:45 runs or lifting sessions for a couple of months, but I had my schedule change up a bit and I did not need to get those early workouts in. Now my schedule is getting back to normal and I am finding myself hitting the snooze too much. Need to get back into the swing of things.

Also... getting to bed early makes a world of difference
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I started out just making myself do it, but now it's pretty much part of my daily routine. When I get ready to go to sleep, having everything ready and knowing what I'm doing the following morning really helps.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5. I wish I could get up earlier on some mornings !!!!
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this waking up early to workout thing. I wake up at 5:30 a.m. to get ready and leave the house at 5:50 a.m. I am usually excited to get up early to run so i have no problem getting up.

Some tips i have would be: Find a workout buddy that is as determined as you to want to workout and motivate each other. Sleep with all your workout clothes ready so the next day all you do is get up and put everything on (or sleep with your workout clothes on).

But there are those days where i feel so lazy and cozy and think to myself "egh the workout can wait for tomorrow". lol:drinker:
  • TravelinChiGal
    TravelinChiGal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:15/4:30 in order for my brain to wake up enough to tell my body to move. I usually start my workouts around 5am! The first few workouts were tough getting into the routine, but I gotta tell ya… Feel fantastic the rest of the day and make better choices when I do workout first! I have my morning accountability MFP friends that keep me in check, too!
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    4AM workout! Alarm is set for 3:50Am I could do 5AM but i like sitting around for a bit before i have to go to work :) So many less excuses to make early in the morning!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I felt great back when I was doing that back the beginning of the year. Unfortunately when school got out for summer I got lazy since I didn't have to get the kids ready.

29509743.png