Confused and frustrated at the gym, where to start?

Options
2»

Replies

• frayst
    Options
    I'm not quite sure why you are blowing off the advice of doctors, trainers, and bodybuilders. There is nothing invalid about getting your exercise in a pool. Swimming is a fantastic form of exercise and it is a sport. You will build endurance, burn calories, and it's probably the safest form of exercise out there (as long as you don't drown of course lol).

I disagree that you shouldn't start weightlifting until later, BUT your main focus now really should be to lose weight. Cardio exercises will get you there faster than weight lifting.

However you should lift weights supplementary to cardio if you want to build strength and have muscle there when the weight comes off, for example, 40 minutes of swimming laps and 20 minutes of gentle weight-lifting introduced to you by an experienced trainer.
  • rrabe78
    rrabe78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, this is the internet, so you're gonna get a lot of opinions and they are gonna contradict each other, so it will be up to you to decide who you are going to listen to.

My take, as a larger girl (230 @ 5'7") I love weight lifting. It is what gets me out of bed before 5 am and out the door to work out. I started with Starting Strength and fell in love. I recommend buying that book, as it has detailed information on the lifts, how to prepare and how to avoid injury. It gave me the confidence to go into the gym and face the power cage alone :). For programs I like Stronglifts 5x5- basically the same thing with minor differences and a focus of starting very light and working your way up.

Regardless of what program you choose, I say go for the weightlifting, it is awesome and can give you a sense of accomplishment even when the weight loss slows down. It also does amazing things for your body.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    STOP!!!! Stop researching on the internet and reading the horror stories!!! The personal trainer knows you and your situation and is not going to lead you astray.

Yeah, no.

As demonstrated, the "trainer" has a canned program that everyone gets. That's not the best for the OP, or anyone else paying said trainer. You know this.

OP - I'd say, unless there is a significant need for isolation work, such as needing to rehab an injury... I'd avoid the machines. They're cute, obviously large investments, but I'm not a proponent for machine work, nor has it positively impacted me in the past.

I would strongly suggest a couple things:
    1. Learn what the compound lifts are, and start working towards them, focusing on form over lifting weight, and use free weights.
    2. Engage in cardio you enjoy, swimming is excellent. Nor does swimming make you an invalid. Once you get form down, it's going to do wonders for your arms, core, and shoulders.
    3. Make sure your eating is on point, and you are getting enough protein.
    4. Realize that you will get sore, there will be hurt, and uncomfortable times. That's normal.

At the end of the day though, just realize you need to move slowly, and that right now, doing anything is better than doing nothing.
  • cha97shelley
    cha97shelley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've found this thread incredibly useful. I'm going it alone at the gym and don't really have a clue what I should be doing other than knowing I should be lifting. I will check out the links with interest.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I've heard the good and bad about the gym machines as well. I've also used them with good results in the past - and can't anymore due to range of motion limitations. I personally think that when you see a lot of conflicting information, then the right thing to do is get some hands-on experience and draw your own conclusions! Give the machines a try, if you feel that your body is being compromised by any of them then turn that exercise into a free-weight one. Ex the chest press machines move my arms back beyond the point where my shoulders can stretch. So for chest I get dumbbells and do chest presses. When I squat on my own, I tend to lean forwards too much onto my toes. So I use the squat rack. etc. The whole gym is yours to explore.
  • dbmata
    Options
    So instead of fixing form, you using the machine to reinforce your bad squat form.

seems legit.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Lots of great information here, and I can see why you are starting to get overwhelmed with all the conflicting information. I'm a bigger girl as well, as have found great success with Stronglifts + cardio I enjoy.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    If you are squatting with your shoes on take them off and make a big effort to put all your weight in your heels. If it is a ankle mobility issue you can put some small plates underneath your heels. The squat rack isn't a machine LOL
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol, you're right, I read that as smith, not squat. My mistake there.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    If you are squatting with your shoes on take them off and make a big effort to put all your weight in your heels. If it is a ankle mobility issue you can put some small plates underneath your heels. The squat rack isn't a machine LOL

It probably is the ankle thing - I've noticed that in heels I have no problem squatting down. Good advice, thank you.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

It probably is the ankle thing - I've noticed that in heels I have no problem squatting down. Good advice, thank you.

what do any of the last posts have to do withOP's questions?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    someone mentioned going on their toes when squatting.. just giving them tips
  • dbmata
    Options

What does your post have to do with the OP's questions?

#don'tbetheproblembethesolution
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

What does your post have to do with the OP's questions?

#don'tbetheproblembethesolution

you just proved my point for me .thanks.
    go squat !
  • sofaking6
    Options
    someone mentioned going on their toes when squatting.. just giving them tips

And it was good advice...just being gracious
  • dbmata
    Options
    you just proved my point for me .thanks.
    go squat !

Yup, we established you are off topic.

You aren't of a pay grade to tell me when or how to squat. Thanks.