Lost tons of weight then gained it all back I feel terrible

Options
2»

Replies

• JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    For me it is mental. If I'm not on board mentally, I will always gain it all back and then some. I had to get my mindset to the point where I wanted to be healthy more than I wanted sugary snacks, my weakness. I still struggle, but now I only gain two or three pounds before I give myself a strong talking to, not 20 or 30 pounds before I put the skids on.
  • jyatzy1234
    Options
    dude i did the same thing but i lost 120 lbs than gained 40 back it is depressing if u wanna talk or need any help with diet or just need someone to talk to hit me up
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You gained weight because you're eating more calories than your body needs.
    It's really that simple.

"Most weight loss occurs because of decreased caloric intake.
    However, evidence shows the only way to maintain weight loss is to be engaged in regular physical activity."
    http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/physical_activity/index.html

So get control over your intake first. Figure out your healthy goal weight (BMI chart included in my blog post, below), eat 10x that weight in calories, and be active at least 30 minutes a day.

Some of my blog posts you might find helpful:

Motivation & encouragement:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-07-24-motivation-encouragement-680938

Info on setting goals, including healthy weight, calories, and macros:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-setting-goals-667045

The basics about exercise:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-08-exercise-667080

Overall helpful MPF threads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

BTW, weightlifting will tone your body & make you look good once you lose fat, but cardio is the most effective way to burn calories. Adding muscle does not appreciably raise your resting metabolic rate either. Here are a couple studies & articles talking about that:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-05-does-building-muscle-actually-increase-rmr-684479
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am not really in a position to tell others how to lose and keep off weight since I've only done it once. But I'll share what has worked for me.

1. I'm not here to lose weight. I'm here to change my lifestyle and be healthy, attractive and fit.

2. I'm not doing this alone. I have a wonderful husband who is supportive of being more active and eating better foods and watching portions. We live 500 miles apart so even though we're not together except may be 5 days a month, we encourage and support each other. I also have a core group of MFP friends who are my daily inspiration and keep me focused. Couldn't do it without my support network.

3. I need tools. Friends or family to walk with. A cheap gym membership at Planet Fitness. A few home weights and a mat to work out on. Good Spotify playlists for my earphones. MFP food diary--a must for staying focused and accountable.

I discovered that if I connect with people who are successful at keeping off the weight, I learn by their good habits and tips and tricks. They make lifestyle changes and never look back. You can do the same. Find a purpose to what you're doing and make it your new way of living. The weight will come off and stay off :flowerforyou:
  • tayleigh4
    tayleigh4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you were dieting/exercising with only one goal in mind. That goal was to lose weight. Once you met that goal, I'm guessing you were kind of thinking, "alright. Did it. Don't have to worry about it anymore." That is the real danger of any diet/weight loss program. They END. To make sure you don't make the same mistake again, you need to think in terms of FOREVER. It isn't cliche to say that what you really want/need is a lifestyle change. Quick fixes (like crazy workout videos) work well and fast, but they are short term solutions. Think long term. What changes can you make that you will still be doing in 20 years? Those are the changes that will allow you to keep the weight off. I believe that good health is all about a mindset....and a change deep inside. If you aren't committed to forever, then it will inevitably be temporary.

You can lose the weight again. You CAN keep it off. All it takes is that one little change in your thinking.

Great post.
  • X0LX0
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. Gained fifty lbs back. It's uncomfortable and depressing . I need help
  • johnnyr24
    johnnyr24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply back to me. I appreciate the resources and links some of you provided and the stories and motivation others have shared here. Well for those that asked about the doctor my yearly checkup is in literally 2 days so I will see what he says then. It feels bad because if the doctor is telling you that you need to lose weight for the sake of your health then I know I have to do it but feel like a bad person because the doctor had to tell me this instead of having me go in and him say I am as healthy as can be. For workouts I do the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred videos as I stated in my post before. But my school has a gym that I signed up for that offers Zumba and Cycling classes and I take both classes when I can.

Todays workout was not so bad but it's mostly because I jumped rope for about an hour but I know I could have done more then jump rope. The issue I have is food. I could work out as hard as anyone and put all my effort into it but then I completely destroy any working out I do by what I eat. It's hard. Sometimes I go to the store and get an individual slice of cheesecake or cake from the bakery and then after i eat it I feel so guilty because I had literally just worked out a few hours before eating it. I'm trying to cook and eat healthier but sometimes that can be hard. I think saying no to certain foods when my mind is programed to say yes is really hard so I am trying to eat foods I love but in moderation and even in then that can be hard at times.

But I appreciate the responses. I will go through them all again and write down helpful things mentioned in the posts thanks everyone.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly how you feel. Last year i'd lost 40 pounds, I felt great until I got a few dozen comments about me being too thin, or looking sick which really hurt my feelings because I had went from 177 pounds to 136 pounds I was far from sick. But the comments came from those I love most, I quit counting. Holidays came and I gained 10 pounds, new friends who loved to go to dinners and drink came, and on came another 10 pounds then my husband was layed off and we had to find a new place to live, 15 more pounds came on. Now I am back, tracking and exercising my way to 135 pounds hopefully. Feel free to add me peeps!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply back to me. I appreciate the resources and links some of you provided and the stories and motivation others have shared here. Well for those that asked about the doctor my yearly checkup is in literally 2 days so I will see what he says then. It feels bad because if the doctor is telling you that you need to lose weight for the sake of your health then I know I have to do it but feel like a bad person because the doctor had to tell me this instead of having me go in and him say I am as healthy as can be. For workouts I do the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred videos as I stated in my post before. But my school has a gym that I signed up for that offers Zumba and Cycling classes and I take both classes when I can.

Todays workout was not so bad but it's mostly because I jumped rope for about an hour but I know I could have done more then jump rope. The issue I have is food. I could work out as hard as anyone and put all my effort into it but then I completely destroy any working out I do by what I eat. It's hard. Sometimes I go to the store and get an individual slice of cheesecake or cake from the bakery and then after i eat it I feel so guilty because I had literally just worked out a few hours before eating it. I'm trying to cook and eat healthier but sometimes that can be hard. I think saying no to certain foods when my mind is programed to say yes is really hard so I am trying to eat foods I love but in moderation and even in then that can be hard at times.

But I appreciate the responses. I will go through them all again and write down helpful things mentioned in the posts thanks everyone.

Several trainers told me that if you are going to have something like cake etc, the best time is before or after your workout, within an hour or so. Nothing wrong with having a piece of cake or serving of something 'naughty' if you workout hard and make the rest of your day nutrient dense and healthy. If it keeps you on track, calorie goal wise, well...it is better than falling off the wagon or having a massive binge.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply back to me.
    <snipped>
    The issue I have is food. I could work out as hard as anyone and put all my effort into it but then I completely destroy any working out I do by what I eat. It's hard. Sometimes I go to the store and get an individual slice of cheesecake or cake from the bakery and then after i eat it I feel so guilty because I had literally just worked out a few hours before eating it. I'm trying to cook and eat healthier but sometimes that can be hard. I think saying no to certain foods when my mind is programed to say yes is really hard so I am trying to eat foods I love but in moderation and even in then that can be hard at times.

Several trainers told me that if you are going to have something like cake etc, the best time is before or after your workout, within an hour or so. [b/Nothing wrong with having a piece of cake or serving of something 'naughty' if you workout hard [/b] and make the rest of your day nutrient dense and healthy. If it keeps you on track, calorie goal wise, well...it is better than falling off the wagon or having a massive binge.
    Johnny;

Herein lies the dilemma (bolded comments above)

Many folks embrace the position Grael puts forth and for them it "works". Logically it makes perfect sense, the argument that "..if it keeps you on track..." is one that most can relate to, and for those that adhere strictly to an ideology of CICO, as long as the calories "burned" exceed the calories consumed, all is well. Clearly for these folks it's time tested, it "works", case closed.

I would argue, however, that what "works" for some (or even "most") isn't necessarily what's "best" for everyone (not saying she is saying that or that it makes it any less effective for those that it does work for).

I am saying that, perhaps (and maybe unfortunately) you're just not one of them. Granted it's my "opinion" only and based on only the limited info I've gleaned from your comments but T2D (even if, or especially when, "pre") puts you in a whole different category.

Aside from drugs, weight and carb reduction are the only clinically proven methods of dealing with T2D so your choices pretty much come down to 3 options - cut carbs, drugs (pills first then shots), or take your chances (not a good bet).

Despite what many say, low carb diets are not a "fad" or "magic bullet" infomercial miracle weight loss program. One need not buy any special supplements, cookies, shakes, or CD's. No meetings, clubs, electronic calorie counters or special scales required - only "normal" foods (available at your local market) and a desire to "beat" T2D.

Carbs are not "required" nutritionally and do not enhance athletic performance. They DO, however, have a number of negative impacts on the body - especially as it relates to fat formation and insulin resistance. They also produce "cravings" which many compare to addictions. You've not only experienced those but described them very well above.

The decisions are yours and yours alone to make of course but please at least consider learning all you can about the effects your diet may (will?) have on your future.

The single most important thing you can do short term is weight reduction so you are right to focus on that and whatever works for you is fine but in the long term it's much more about WHAT you eat than it is about how much or how you exercise.

The "good news" is that with proper diet MANY T2D's have been able to halt or even completely reverse the progress of the disease even to the point of no longer requiring insulin injections. As a "pre" it's entirely possible that you will be able to totally avoid full blown T2D completely.

The other "good news" is that while overcoming the "carb cravings" you probably now think is an impossible task it's really not that bad - after a week or two you'll look back and say "that wasn't all that bad". No it's not "easy" but countless people have done it before you and you will too.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has been in your shoes at one point or another. I know I have.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZrzz5SgIcQti4BynpDLpNYfA6YYX0DhS5ppKxl5ZhHxnjp-W5pQ

So pick yourself up. Find your motivation. You'll find that when you stop beating yourself up for gaining the weight back and start believing that you are worth it. You can do this.
  • 132OFT
    Options
    The previous post with the Batman motivator says a lot. Much of this perhaps won't apply to you, but it's my story to get to where I can relate with what you're going through. About 4 years ago during a check-up at the docs, "it's a good thing you don't smoke or drink much, you'd be dead by now, be lucky if you make it to forty", preceded a conversation about WLS and such things. I researched it, visited a clinic and met with the surgeon and his staff including a psych. I left wondering "Why do I need surgery to eat better and exercise?" Fast forward a year or so, haven't really done anything about it. Was away for a weekend and sitting on the end of the bed in the hotel room and I look in the wardrobe mirror and just about broke down. It was time. I made a call to a great friend who I knew could help me, "It's time to stop being a fat ****." And he did. 8 months later, I've lost 100lbs. I'm on top of the world. I took 2.5months off work to spend with family who live away and didn't gain a single lb. Had a great time walking and cycling around with them. After the holidays I moved further away. I didn't know anyone. I didn't like the area, but the work and money was good. I started to gain weight. I can't go through that again! So I exercise some more and start losing weight, sweet. Then work and life find their way to interrupt my progress. The following year, I put 70lbs back on and then I took a wicked fall down some stairs at home and dislocated both my knees. I put them back together and crawled into bed and tried willing myself to death. I lived alone. I had no real friends nearby and I couldn't even tell my family about the fall. I put on another 20lbs over the next 8months. My friends told me "you've done it before, you can do it again!" so many times it got the point where I hated to hear it and almost despised them for saying it, but deep down I knew, I KNEW it was true. Then life dealt me an ace when there were three in the river, work offered me a position back home where my friends are. I held the phone out and asked if they could hear that I was already packing. It's taken me another couple of months but you know what, I CAN DO IT AGAIN, I just had to find that spark and turn it into walking, and cycling, and cleaner eating. In 2 days, I turn 40 and I'm not ready to give up. Not by a damn sight.