Butter makes your pants fall off?

Options
Has anyone seen this post? Just wondering if this guy is a crack pot or if it might add up somehow...

http://www.buttermakesyourpantsfalloff.com/butter-makes-your-pants-fall-off/

Floor is open, tell me your thoughts.....

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Basically eating a high fat diet has high satiety meaning you're hungry less. It all comes down to calorie intake though. There are a million different diets and ways to spin it, but if you're eating a lower calorie intake than you're burning you will lose weight. He is right about the fact that dietary fat does not in and of itself make you fat. No individual macronutrient makes you fat. It's all context in your total dietary intake.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Didn't watch the video, but am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and instantly thought of the Friends episode with the leather pants? No? OK, carry on.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Another person that has little understanding of nutrition in general.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    LOL, Great responses, it's actually a written article not a video. I have a relative that had plateaued on her weight loss journey and started this new fad diet and 'claims' to have already started losing again. Just wanted to see how others who may have more knowledge than myself felt about this whole idea...
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Good butter, in the form of scones or on a bit of crusty bread with a pinch of salt has been known to make my pants fall off.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,413 Member
    Options
    Didn't watch the video, but am I the only one who saw the title of this thread and instantly thought of the Friends episode with the leather pants? No? OK, carry on.

I did!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    LOL, Great responses, it's actually a written article not a video. I have a relative that had plateaued on her weight loss journey and started this new fad diet and 'claims' to have already started losing again. Just wanted to see how others who may have more knowledge than myself felt about this whole idea...

Yea, he goes on and talks about how calories are not what's important and how it's all about insulin. That's complete BS. You don't have to concern yourself with insulin unless your diabetic or have a medical reason to. Calories do not lie. Thermodynamics does no lie. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight, period, end of story. There are different dietary systems to address hunger and you can play around with macronutrients for hunger's sake, but at the end of the day Calories are first and foremost.
    Options

I did!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I miss Friends
    OK sorry for that momentary thread hijack
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options

I did!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I miss Friends
    OK sorry for that momentary thread hijack

It was worth it :wink:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I put butter in my coffee. I eat a low carb and high fat eating style. It helped me move a bunch of weight off me that wasn't budging on a typical high carb and low fat eating style. So for some, butter can help with weight loss. HOWEVER, it does come down to a deficit.
  • CarlaMomOf4
    Options
    Is that the bullet proof coffee I keep reading about? This is the same response my relative gave also...
    Options
    Is that the bullet proof coffee I keep reading about? This is the same response my relative gave also...
    I've been hearing a lot about that bulletproof coffee lately too. I don't understand. Coffee and butter together does not sound appetizing to me.
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen this post? Just wondering if this guy is a crack pot or if it might add up somehow...

http://www.buttermakesyourpantsfalloff.com/butter-makes-your-pants-fall-off/

Floor is open, tell me your thoughts.....

People will believe anything.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Yup! It's butter and coconut oil in coffee. You either mix it in a blender, or you shake it in a container. So good!
    Options

Yup! It's butter and coconut oil in coffee. You either mix it in a blender, or you shake it in a container. So good!
    What is the purpose though? Sounds like it would be high in calories, so I'm wondering what the benefit is (if there is a benefit other than taste preference).
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    A professor once taught me the universal answer to all questions:

Some do; some don't. The differences aren't very great and it's more complicated than that.

Taking any one aspect of our knowledge about nutrition and following it to an extreme can work for some people some of the time. It's also a very popular thing to do. It goes back to the attractiveness of a "magic solution." Cut out this, eat only that, green coffee beans, acai berries, all the late night info-mercial nostrums, anything recommended by Dr. Oz may work for some people some of the time. How often is that the result of placebo effect?

Recent research is indicating that dietary fats, other than transfats, are less detrimental to our health than thought. Some fats are even good for us to some degree. Carbohydrates are not the panacea they were once thought to be. Some carbohydrates are even harmful to us to some degree. The science of nutrition is forever morphing and changing as new knowledge accumulates and it is incredibly complicated.

There is no money to be made in saying, "Moderation in all things." There is a great deal of money to be made in saying, "Buy my magic potion and my book telling you the secret."

Anybody who tells you we know EXACTLY what works for EVERYBODY is innocently deluded or out to take advantage of you. Anybody who espouses one extreme over another is treading on thin ice. They probably haven't considered all the dangers of that extremity.

Unfortunately, when it comes to diet, the one thing we must embrace is ambiguity.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Cheez Its and gelato makes my pants come right off FYI
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of butter and coconut oil in your coffee, and that combination, along with your total calorie intake for the day, falls at or below your calorie goal, you will lose weight. Unless you have a medical condition, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. That's not to say that you will be at optimum health. Butter and coconut oil are both saturated fats, and eating a diet heavy in saturated fats without the necessary fiber to keep your cholesterol low could lead to heart disease.
  • Vexxe
    Vexxe Posts: 24 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I read that. Or at least, I tried to read it. It was literally painful to read. I'd like to call his understanding of nutrition of poor, but really, it doesn't even exist.

A lot of what he was saying is what is being found in current research. Nutrition over the past 30-40 years has never been based on science but anecdotal evidence. We still have a problem today of science trying to link correlation with causation which in most cases, misleads a lot of people including people the with money for the research as they end up going down the wrong road away from what they actually wanted to learn. Atkins was on the right tack.

Our body's are complex machines, the fact that people still believe the whole calorie is a calorie is ludicrous. Metabolism isn't some furnace you are feeding with energy that 'burns' what you eat. Hormones are what play the largest part in weight control, not how much you eat. Insulin causes more problems than people realise. For starters, insulin is inflammatory and causes all kinds of problems within the body. One of the biggest reasons to go vlc is due to the fact you just don't need to count calories in the lack of presence of insulin. Insulin is a hormone that acts as a gatekeeper to all the cells in your body. If you eat more energy than is needed, Insulin stores that energy as fat no matter which source it is from. Remove Insulin from the picture and those cell doors don't even open up meaning you can eat energy dense foods such as fat and your body will just pass the excess fat.

The TYPE of macronutrient is more important than the number of calories. Each macro has a different metabolic pathway and are broken down by the body in totally different ways. Carbs and Proteins force an insulin response and Fat forces a leptin response. It goes a lot deeper than that but most people here are too close minded to even bother reading research or watch lectures.

If you want to carry on eating the way you want to, that's your choice. However, the science is there and it's going to change how we all eat.
  • Vexxe
    Vexxe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of butter and coconut oil in your coffee, and that combination, along with your total calorie intake for the day, falls at or below your calorie goal, you will lose weight. Unless you have a medical condition, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. That's not to say that you will be at optimum health. Butter and coconut oil are both saturated fats, and eating a diet heavy in saturated fats without the necessary fiber to keep your cholesterol low could lead to heart disease.

Not true. Fats do not cause heart related disease. Diets high in fat and low in carbs have proven to reduce Triglycerides and higher HDL better than current drugs on the market. LDL-P also vastly improves though total cholesterol could go up (not a good marker for heart risk).