Butter makes your pants fall off?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of butter and coconut oil in your coffee, and that combination, along with your total calorie intake for the day, falls at or below your calorie goal, you will lose weight. Unless you have a medical condition, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. That's not to say that you will be at optimum health. Butter and coconut oil are both saturated fats, and eating a diet heavy in saturated fats without the necessary fiber to keep your cholesterol low could lead to heart disease.

Have you a source to back-up this claim?

A registered dietician, and my GI doctor. As well as my GP. And my own research. I think a healthy balance of saturated fats in any diet is fine, just not a diet heavy in saturated fats. Especially without the fiber needed.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here. Quoting from the website:

Calories Are Not the Issue

Listen and let me tell you something you already know:

Fat people handle food differently than thin people.

We all know people who are fat and we say they’re fat because they eat to much.

But on the other hand, We all know people who eat like horses and they’re slim and trim and never gain weight.

But you know what, why don’t we say the skinny person is skinny BECAUSE they eat too much?

When the fat guy eats too much it’s automatically the reason he’s fat.

You know, If it’s just calories, if getting fat is just a simple math problem.

1 + 1 = 2 , then if you eat too much you ought to get fat, period.

And if you don’t eat a lot, you ought to get thin, period.

You know – the question of why some of us get fat is not about calories – we all know it can’t be just calories because some people just don’t get fat.

The real question is why do some people collect fat and stay hungry, and why do other people not collect fat and stay full of energy, slim and trim?

What causes people like me and you to store more of the food we eat as fat, instead of burning that food for energy?
    The key to why “Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off”.

See, the person who stores what he eats as fat has got a problem and that problem is what doctors call “insulin resistance”.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here. Quoting from the website:

Calories Are Not the Issue

Listen and let me tell you something you already know:

Fat people handle food differently than thin people.

We all know people who are fat and we say they’re fat because they eat to much.

But on the other hand, We all know people who eat like horses and they’re slim and trim and never gain weight.

But you know what, why don’t we say the skinny person is skinny BECAUSE they eat too much?

When the fat guy eats too much it’s automatically the reason he’s fat.

You know, If it’s just calories, if getting fat is just a simple math problem.

1 + 1 = 2 , then if you eat too much you ought to get fat, period.

And if you don’t eat a lot, you ought to get thin, period.

You know – the question of why some of us get fat is not about calories – we all know it can’t be just calories because some people just don’t get fat.

The real question is why do some people collect fat and stay hungry, and why do other people not collect fat and stay full of energy, slim and trim?

What causes people like me and you to store more of the food we eat as fat, instead of burning that food for energy?
    The key to why “Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off”.

See, the person who stores what he eats as fat has got a problem and that problem is what doctors call “insulin resistance”.

Please tell me we're not going down this path again.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFrn_De52y5Wzy5EIWvp_snbwRosiXhhJhDdsPW3LMBO-YFOCV
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    The ladies of MFP are on a roll.:smile:
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Naw, I don't want to be on a roll. Put dat butter on it instead and I'll eat it. :wink:
  • BadWolf_Rose
    BadWolf_Rose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Down 70 pounds in 6 months on the low carb high fat lifestyle. It's not bull**** and it's not a fad.

Congratz on a calorie deficit.

Why would you automatically assume it's a calorie deficit?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Down 70 pounds in 6 months on the low carb high fat lifestyle. It's not bull**** and it's not a fad.

Congratz on a calorie deficit.

Why would you automatically assume it's a calorie deficit?
    Oh goodie. I was running out of fun threads to follow.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I prefer a croissant.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    In for the fun!
    I want to hear more about someone losing weight despite no caloric deficit.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Looks like an article on low-carb eating aimed at people who don't do science articles. Goes over abdominal fat and insulin resistance, then presents low-carb as the solution. The only reason any of this comes across as shocking or crazy is because the wording is that plain and easy to understand.
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Basically eating a high fat diet has high satiety meaning you're hungry less. It all comes down to calorie intake though. There are a million different diets and ways to spin it, but if you're eating a lower calorie intake than you're burning you will lose weight. He is right about the fact that dietary fat does not in and of itself make you fat. No individual macronutrient makes you fat. It's all context in your total dietary intake.
    Absolutely right, eating more fat diet means you feel less hunger and it cuts down your calorie intake.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Wouldn't waste my breath. People on here hate low-carb, or at least have a distaste for it so deep that they just HAVE to comment negatively. Just roll your eyes and move forward. That's what I do, unless I'm PMSing. Then the gloves come off. lol
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

Wouldn't waste my breath. People on here hate low-carb, or at least have a distaste for it so deep that they just HAVE to comment negatively. Just roll your eyes and move forward. That's what I do, unless I'm PMSing. Then the gloves come off. lol
    People on here don't hate low-carb any more than anything else. What they disagree with is the notion than simply reducing/ cutting out carbs will result in weight loss, regardless of how many calories you ingest. What causes ruffled feathers is stating that you can eat as much protein and fat as you want and still lose weight, without regard for your overall caloric intake (regardless of the source). It's an important distinction.

ETA - I can sense your eyeroll....stop it! :laugh:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options

I can only speak for myself, and I tend to avoid most of those types of threads (cause I'm mostly here for the cat gifs) but I don't, and I don't think most people do. What they DO have a hate and distaste for is misinformation and bad science. And that link was filled with epically bad information.

Low carb works for some people, especially those with PCOS and insulin/blood sugar issues. Fat isn't bad, it's actually pretty important. And it's satiating. If it works well for keeping adherence, by all means, follow a LCHF diet!

But there is absolutely no NEED to follow that diet. And it's no better for weight loss (barring the aforementioned issues). And if you are going to claim that skinny people are skinny because they are somehow special snowflakes and not that they eat within their TDEE, that fat people are not fat because they eat too many calories, and that you can eat at a caloric surplus and not gain weight, then yeah, you can bet there will be negative comments on that.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste of butter and coconut oil in your coffee, and that combination, along with your total calorie intake for the day, falls at or below your calorie goal, you will lose weight. Unless you have a medical condition, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. That's not to say that you will be at optimum health. Butter and coconut oil are both saturated fats, and eating a diet heavy in saturated fats without the necessary fiber to keep your cholesterol low could lead to heart disease.

A registered dietician, and my GI doctor. As well as my GP. And my own research. I think a healthy balance of saturated fats in any diet is fine, just not a diet heavy in saturated fats. Especially without the fiber needed.

So...no. I was really thinking more along the lines of a peer-reviewed research study, not word of mouth from supposed experts. Pray tell, what did you own research entail? My "research" has uncovered that the recommended amounts of fiber in the SAD are only required because we are so low-fat crazy that there's nothing else to grease the works. Eat some fat. And a whole lot of leafy greens. That'll keep things moving.

As far as the low-carb vs. calories in-and-out debate, I must agree that calories matter. But it is much easier to maintain a deficit when one is not riding the carb roller-coaster. Losing 35 pounds without once feeling like I was deprived or going to chew off my arm is a freaking miracle, as far as I am concerned.
  • mccindy72
    Options

So...no. I was really thinking more along the lines of a peer-reviewed research study, not word of mouth from supposed experts. Pray tell, what did you own research entail? My "research" has uncovered that the recommended amounts of fiber in the SAD are only required because we are so low-fat crazy that there's nothing else to grease the works. Eat some fat. And a whole lot of leafy greens. That'll keep things moving.

As far as the low-carb vs. calories in-and-out debate, I must agree that calories matter. But it is much easier to maintain a deficit when one is not riding the carb roller-coaster. Losing 35 pounds without once feeling like I was deprived or going to chew off my arm is a freaking miracle, as far as I am concerned.
    Okay, here you go with a scientific study. As I was saying, I don't support eating a lot of refined carbohydrates in place of fats. I support eating a healthy amount of saturated fats, supplemented by monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. This is the combination that keeps cholesterol levels down, as supported by this article.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/
  • Elljak
    Elljak Posts: 1
    Options
    Butter and saturated fat do not lead to heart disease. Its the sugar in your diet in the form of excess carbs that keeps the fat in your bloodstream instead of using it for energy. Is the guy crazy? No! He is living proof that this kind of eating regime works to lose excess weight and without experiencing hunger or cravings! Those of you that think this is poor nutrition need to do their homework!!
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    Has anyone seen this post? Just wondering if this guy is a crack pot or if it might add up somehow...

http://www.buttermakesyourpantsfalloff.com/butter-makes-your-pants-fall-off/

Floor is open, tell me your thoughts.....

I can relate to the article all too well. He describes my weight loss experience and cholesterol profile control to a T.

Basically using a similar strategy as this guy, my weight loss was so rapid that my pants actually were falling off. It made being at work a bit awkward. And the wallet hurt for a while b/c I had to buy all new clothes.
  • Navtendon
    Navtendon Posts: 168
    Options
    Elljak wrote: »
    Butter and saturated fat do not lead to heart disease. Its the sugar in your diet in the form of excess carbs that keeps the fat in your bloodstream instead of using it for energy. Is the guy crazy? No! He is living proof that this kind of eating regime works to lose excess weight and without experiencing hunger or cravings! Those of you that think this is poor nutrition need to do their homework!!

Agreed. And those who have done it are living proof to themselves.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Okay, here you go with a scientific study. As I was saying, I don't support eating a lot of refined carbohydrates in place of fats. I support eating a healthy amount of saturated fats, supplemented by monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. This is the combination that keeps cholesterol levels down, as supported by this article.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats-full-story/
    That's just Harvard's opinion based on the Nurses Health Study, which is their own data base from where they draw their conclusions, all of which is epidemiology based and no RCT's....Also Harvard has been biased against saturated fat (animal products) from the get go and still live it based on this editorial (opinion).