What Are Your Favorite Foods, Culturally Speaking?

Options
I love Mexican Food :bigsmile: The beans, veggies, tortilla's and I love Taquitos served along side of refried beans and Mexican rice. I actually like cooking from many cultures. I also really like Chinese food, not Chinese/American but real Chinese food. I have many friends who live all around this small planet so I practice making foods from the countries they live in. This summer I made Nepalese Momo an Daal Bhat with Tarkari, Jamaican Jerk Chicken, Rice and Festival and from Liberia I made Jollof and closer to home, I've made a Canadian Tortiere . So what do you like? We have so many cultures to choose from. Have any favorite recipes you could share?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Greek - pastitsio, souvlaki, anything lemon-chicken, spanakopita, and duh baklava
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Indian food. OMG... Indian food. I recently traveled through India for a month and one of my favorite parts of the trip was how the food changed as we moved from the southern tip, through the central part, and then up into the northeast. Paneer Butter Masala with Garlic Naan was my favorite. Yes, I consider them proper nouns. :laugh:
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Japanese food, I love how fresh it is. I love the fish, the rice, the seaweed. About the only thing I dislike about it is the pickled veggies.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nepalese.

Always has been, always will be. I could eat it everyday none stop.

But ironically...I cannot make it. Indian, Chinese, Mexican - I can cook these quite well with some taste of authenticity.

But Nepali food...I manage to stuff it up every time.
  • PhoebeGrey
    Options
    Greek - pastitsio, souvlaki, anything lemon-chicken, spanakopita, and duh baklava
    Oh yes! My son's wife's family is Greek and I like nothing more than to have dinner at their home with all that you mention but Lamb instead of Chicken for me :happy:
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My Hungarian great-grandmother made some amazing food - chicken paprikash, rántás, kapusta, strudel, etc.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    All of them. I seriously have not had a style of food that I have not liked a lot. I cannot think of any culture's food that I would not be fine if it was all I had to eat for the rest of my life.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    #1 choice mexican...I love salsa on everything! Second choice would be Italian :)
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Chinese! but haven't had it in a loooong time, because.. sodium :/

So I usually cook up something like this:

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/better-than-take-out-orange-chicken/
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    There isn't a food I won't try. I love food from everywhere but it's got to be the real deal. None of this Americanized dross! Chinese, Japanese, Greek, Italian, Mexican, Caribbean, Latin American, Ethiopian, French, German.. Seriously, the world tour of food!!
  • Is it bad to say I love american food the best? lol (probably why I'm overweight) ;)
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Mexican, Italian, and Japanese... order of preference depends on the day, but these are always my Top 3. I'm going to Rome for a week in November and am looking forward to sampling authentic Italian food.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    All cuisines, if not all their foods. I mean, I like Tibetan food -- at least some Tibetan foods that I've had in Tibetan restaurants in the US. Would I like drinking their Butter Tea, which is made from tea leaves, yak butter, water and salt? It is a very common drink there. I think not, No. "No, thank you, but please do pass those momo over here."
  • vismundcygnus27
    vismundcygnus27 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Indian and authentic Chinese are definitely my favorites. But I grew up with Colombian food, so that's probably the type of food I find the most comforting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Toss up between French, Italian and Japanese.
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm so with you on Mexican. Another favourite would have to be Spanish. I LOVE me some tapas, spanish wines are beautiful and nothing beats a good sangria.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Danish food...probably because i am half Danish..and Danish food is perf
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any Asian influence. My all time favorite is Vietnamese coming in at a close 2nd is Thai food.....yummm
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It's hard to choose! I love Korean, Middle Eastern, Mediterranean, and Japanese. Russian is pretty good, too. And Indian. And Thai. LOL
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Greek, Austrian, Italian.
    So food with a diverse and rich variety.