Embarrassed to be seen running!

Options

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Every time I run past someone who seems to have more body fat than I do I think good for them at least they are trying. I am far from the most muscular physic in the gym but I sill hit the free weights where most of the people are more muscular. sure I felt intimated at first but now I do not. I will admit the first time I started running outside I was nervous also. You get over it.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I hope you keep right on running!!!! I have been the obese person on the trail feeling incredibly 'judged' and insecure. I am now one of the fit people on the trail and I would never have gotten there if I let my own fears and insecurities keep me away. Looking back I realize that I probably wasn't judged at all..except for the judgment I so harshly bestowed upon myself. Now, when I see overweight people on the trail I silently cheer them on and hope they keep on pushing until they reach their goal :)
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    First of all, that letter to the fatty really, really rubs me the wrong way. It makes me SICK as a fat person who runs. If anything, it makes me feel worse that someone could actually look at me like this.

Second, YOU CAN DO THIS! I started Couch25K last year and couldn't do a light jog for a minute, swear to god. It gets so, so much easier. I didn't shed the weight like I wanted (diet, you suck) so I'm still a running fat person. And you know what, not once in the past year has anyone said anything.

Third, try and get the most out of your run! Focus on your form, good tunes, and the environment, not the people - and you'll be so much happier.

Fourth - This may take more than 9 weeks and that's ok. Life gets in the way. Take it slow, redo weeks if you have to. I tried to start at the next workout if I took a week off - I do not recommend that. My pace still sucks because of it, but I still ran a 10k back in June - it just took 1 hour 40 minutes ;)

Good luck, it can be addicting.
  • 7ricarico
    7ricarico Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I was doing c25k. I was usually OK unless I was passing walkers---and realizing how painfully slow I was jogging by them. I usually would kick it up a notch, suck it up and get past them, then turn the nearest corner. It might help if you did your runs at night or early in the morning when it's dark. That helped me a lot. Your speed will increase with time (supposedly---I'm still working on it!).
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    get out and do it

walking/jogging/running works

29509743.png
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Those people may not have started out super fit and so remember the majority of people out doing what you are doing are most likely cheering you on in their heads the few that judge you are doing it because they are unhappy or insecure within their own selves. The thing is, the only person you have to worry about is you and only you! And those people are not going to get you to the goals you have set, only you can do that..so get out there, slam some music in and go!

C25K is a fantastic app and the increments will help build you up and make you feel more confident! There are a ton of people here cheering you on so go go go!!!! You got this!!!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I too feel self-conscious when running past other people. I work out in tight clothing because I get distracted by the feeling of a bunch of extra fabric clawing at my body everywhere, so my fat rolls are on full display at all times. But -- the awkward feeling doesn't last long, and I think to myself: "Even though I'm sure I look ridiculous, fat, and galumph-ish right now, at least I'm working out. If I keep doing this, I will look better and better as time goes on." And you will. And then one day, you will run past someone who looks like you imagine you used to, and you will feel akin to them and smile at them because they are AWESOME, and you will also be able to celebrate how far you've come.
  • Strikingly_Jackie
    Options
    I always feel that way too. I have lost a lot with walking just so I would feel good enough to run. That being said, I have recently started running and I can honestly say I don't care what anyone else thinks. KEEP IT UP!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    my biggest challenge seems to be getting over the embarrassment of running past people,

This made me laugh. I don't mean to belittle your concern in any way. As a runner myself, I can say that if you are running past people, you are doing great!! They usually run past me and I've been running for 2 years now. I'm such a turtle when it comes to running. LOL!

But to be serious, this is a common concern when first starting out. Just remember that all other runners are encouraging you. They really are. Smile at them, raise your hand in greeting, and run right by. They will be encouraging and they will mean it. All runners remember their starter days.
    You will only improve and get stronger as days go by. Keep running. You will do this.
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm not overweight and I hate when people see me run!
    I dated a guy who worked at a gym/was a personal trainer or something and he used to stand behind me and stare at my butt when I was running.
    He also told me I run on my toes and that's "weird".
    IDK but it gave me a complex.
    I really have no idea how to get past this, I can't even run on the treadmill.
    You are NOT the only one.
  • ANNAvsANNA
    ANNAvsANNA Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good for you, 4stone! I'm doing C25K myself, and it's super duper intimidating. This is what I've found.

Clothes can help make you or break you. Clothes that fit well, that don't cling to the lumps and bulges that you'd rather hide, that make you feel svelte and ready to climb a mountain. I know the gym is not a fashion show, but all that means to me is that other people are missing out on my awesome workout attire. I know that the temptation is to say to yourself "I don't want to get new clothes until I've lost some weight", and it's hard to get over that. But you're unlikely to lose the weight if you never go, and you're unlikely to go if you feel bad.

Please also do your poor knees a favor and invest in some good running shoes if you haven't already. Make sure that you think they look dynamite, too. Belieeeeeve me, it makes a difference.

Good luck. :)

Absolutely agree....looking good makes you feel good!
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I'm walking, runners just go by me. When I run I get eye contact, a big smile and the hand raised in a salute. We runners are part of a select club:bigsmile: .

Keep up the good work!
  • JazzieG13
    JazzieG13 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I live near a public beach, and I often see people of all sizes and ages running. I'm so impressed that they are out there getting heatthy. My husband is envious of all runners regardless of size. He has said (more than once) how much he wishes he could run. Unfortunately due to a disability, he'll never be able to run or even walk long distances.

When I run outdoors, I have sympathy for anyone that may think (or say) something about my weight....I know I have the power to change my weight. Unfortunately, those people can't change "ignorant". "
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    When I started running I preferred routes where others may not be too common, because I didn't want to be self conscious of how I was running (or not running), or worry about my speed, pushing myself too hard, etc.

After a while I got to where I could pass by others with no problem, but I still find that I have problems sometimes with my pace around others, I wind up going too fast, and have been struggling to control myself there.

Oddly enough, at my first 10k race this last weekend, despite being surrounded by people, since I started at the back most of the people there started at a slow pace like I did and I had no problem keeping up my pace, and actually found having the others around me helped keep me going and I wound up running the whole way!
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So glad to read everyone's reply - I had gotten up to "3 miles" on the elliptical in 30 minutes - I thought wow, I'm gonna run a 5K! So I signed up and a friend told me I might want to try actually running. O. M. G. What a difference. I couldn't go a quarter of a mile before I had to walk and catch my breath! I was so disappointed - when I started on the elliptical in April I could only go 6mph for 7 minutes and here I was going for a full 30 - I thought I was getting into good shape and a 5K would be no problem!

So now I'm taking it out of the gym and running 3x a week on a local park trail which means I do pass people (headed in the other direction!) and I was so embarrassed about doing the run/walk/run/wheeze/walk/run thing that I only ran when I was in a wooded area. I'd like to think they are thinking "good for her!" - and now I see that's exactly what people are thinking.

I'm going to run/walk/run/wheeze/walk tomorrow all 3.15 miles without hesitation.
  • ChrisW1974
    ChrisW1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself today...254lbs & I completed a half-marathon two weeks ago in just over 3hrs. There were 50,000 others running & they weren't bothered about my size. I got masses of encouragement on the course from fellow runners and spectators. So don't worry....just get yourself out there.
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When I started C25K at 212.5 pounds, I was afraid about various bits of loose flesh flapping all over the place on my legs, arms, chest, butt, etc. And they did flap.

But I decided "screw it, I'm going to do it anyway." So I finished C25K and moved on to 5210K.

The flapping has more or less stopped now, as I'm at 158.5 pounds. I'm not embarrassed to be out there. I was out there last night among kids 20 years younger than I am, and nobody even notices that I'm there.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I started running at just above 300 pounds, and needless to say, I've never had any issues with people staring or being mean, quiet the opposite actually. I've noticed almost every other runner (wait, did I just refer to myself as a runner? weird) smiles at me, and when I treadmill run at the gym I've been treated just as good. When I first started I also felt embarrassed then I started noticing that there are a lot of runners that do not have the typical runner body.

I'm slowly working through c25k and I'm around 285 pounds now. I'm signed up for a 5k in November, and I don't really care if I'm the largest one there, because dammit, I'm there for myself not anyone else. I'll most likely be around 275 at my 5k, so there is a good chance I will be the largest one there, even if I finish last, I still did more than everyone sitting at home.

So screw everyone else and get out there and do what you need to do!
  • bizzely
    Options
    Whenever I see anyone running fat/skinny/fast/slow I always say in my head good for them ! You can't live your life thinking everyone is thinking negatively of you. And when others pass me or in the rare instance I pass them, I'm so into my run I don't care. Turn up your music and get in your own zone and in time none of this will bother you.