Intermittent Fasting

Options
I'm starting an intermittent fast. If any of you here have done this or have knowledge about it, please share. Especially about how much calories a day you need. Also any tips would be appreciated. Finally, I don't want ant negativity saying that a "well rounded diet" will get you the same results or "it doesn't work", especially if you haven't tried it. I'm going to do intermittent fasting for 2 weeks just for the experience and see how it's like.

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I do IF, LeanGains Protocol....
    Been over a year doing it, and love it.

You need to decide first what you are wanting to do, and then figure out how many calories you need.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options

You need to decide first what you are wanting to do, and then figure out how many calories you need.

Nice and I want to burn fat and lower my body fat percentage. And I want to do the LeanGains method.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2. There are a few groups on MFP to the different IF methods. You'll find lots of information there.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Nice and I want to burn fat and lower my body fat percentage. And I want to do the LeanGains method.

Read up on the leangains.com website.

Get used to the schedule.

I work out 5 days a week....so since I was on a cut initially....
    My maintenance (what I thought it was) was ~2800. So on training days, I did 2500 - 2800 calories.
    On rest days (I would do LISS and abs these days), I was 2000 - 2100 calories.
  • annemorrell1
    Options
    Yep i would agree with the person 2 above - look up the 5:2 diet - lots of guidance out there on that - two people i know have done it with good results
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do the "Warrior Diet" method, or 20:4. Works great for me, my goals, and lifestyle. Just try them all out and tweak them to fit your lifestyle.

Good luck!
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 16:8 and I love it so far (3 weeks).
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i do 18:6 and i love it. i eat this way every day, and then a few times a month i do a 24-hour fast.
    love it!
  • JudyCanton
    Options
    I done It a few years ago and had a lot of success with it. I just started another journey to lose weight about a month and a half ago. I lost 18 pounds in one month and 5 more pounds after without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at judycanton@gmail.com and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of JUDDD. Alternate days of 300-500 and maintenance level eating. I've lost 3 lbs. or so of my last 10ish. I love it.
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am trying the 16:8 mothod, would love to hear from more women about their experiences with IF, I have read there is some controversy about IF for women.
    Only made it for 15 hours fasting today, but I did get a little euphoric by the end of the fast. Anyone else experience this?
  • NOW_is_my_time
    Options
    I dropped a lot of weight by eating one meal a day, around 11 A.M.. I didn't even find it hard to do so, unlike trying to eat 3-6 small meals a day, when your stomach is constantly ready for food, causing cravings.
  • canadaout
    Options
    Hi, I love intermittent fasting too. You pick a period of 4 to 6 hours a day, the same period of time every day, and you eat your whole day's calories (whatever amount you would generally eat in a day) in that time period. You can drink clear liquids outside of that time period but that's it. Hope this helps.
    I don't feel light headed because, in part I think, I'm keto adapted.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    IF is awesome. I currently do 15:9 daily (Leangains). You can pick whatever eating window works for you. My window is a little larger than most people's, but I have to be careful with hormone levels and after over a year of trial and error, this works best for me. (But I'm a {slightly} older woman - you should be fine with a longer fast.)

As to your calorie goal, that's completly individual and you need to figure it out for yourself. I use the calculator on Scooby's site. Give this a read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/680246-tdee-bmr-what-they-are-and-what-to-do-with-them

And here's a link to an IF group on here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/49-intermittent-fasting

Have fun!!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I am trying the 16:8 mothod, would love to hear from more women about their experiences with IF, I have read there is some controversy about IF for women.
    Only made it for 15 hours fasting today, but I did get a little euphoric by the end of the fast. Anyone else experience this?

I went full force with a 18:6 window for the first few months, and it messed with an already existing hormonal thing I had, and Martin actually states something about this on the Leangains site.. I do 15:9, sometimes 14:10 if I get hungry early, now and I've been maintaining for almost a year. I can't speak to the feeling you're having, though. I've always skipped breakfast, even when I was fat, so there wasn't really an adjustment peiod when I started doing it intentially with an appropriate calorie level. Maybe shorten your fast by an hour and see if that makes a difference. The benfit between 18:6 and 17:7 is neglible.
  • Kaylee_Loren
    Kaylee_Loren Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've read the controversy over a shorter feeding window and female hormones, but for me, eating 20:4 has made my hormones stable!!! Just gotta try things out. Weightloss and eating is not a one size fits all!
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with Kaylee above. 20:4 has actually helped me the most, and my hormones are all stable. Experiment with what works best for you, but I personally feel the general idea of IF and its pros greatly outweigh its cons (if any!).
  • tashigolean34
    tashigolean34 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I intermittent fast 16:8 low carb and I have absolutely no issues. I am insulin resistant and allergic to wheat so low carb just works for me. You really need to play with the eating windows to find what works best for you.
  • josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have been doing IF for about 7 or 8 weeks or so, down 10 pounds. I love it. I don't obsess about food near as I used to. It really has simplified my life. I eat about 1400-1600 on a regular basis, weekends going over more. I do 16/8 but sometimes adjust if I want to eat later due to social events, etc so sometimes I have an even longer fasting period. This is something I feel I can live with. Still do your TDEE to see what calories you need for your activity and you still eat that in your time frame, unless of course you are doing the 5:2.. I could never just have a 500 calorie day.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    mamafazz wrote:
    I am trying the 16:8 mothod (sic)
    I do 16-8 all the time... the 8 being when I'm asleep, which makes it really difficult to eat anything.

OP, read this, especially sexypants, and goal-setting.
    The goal-setting post includes a link to a calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine which will tell you
    how many calories you need to maintain any particular weight, as well as how many servings of the food groups
    you should be eating.

You could also check out bodyrecomposition.com

Just be careful that your starvation days don't set you up to binge so much on your gluttony days that
    you undo any progress you might have made. Better to eat sensibly all along. That's sustainable.