Broke off my engagement

Options
13»

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    He wanted to get married right away but I didn't. I didn't feel right about it from the beginning and in the past 3 years it just confirmed my thoughts.

I've always said, if someone asks you to marry them and you don't feel comfortable getting married at that very moment, then it's not right for you.It's a shame you waited 3 years to confirm what you already knew, but good for you for making the decision to not go through with the marriage.
    I actually read something recently that has been changing my mindset about a lot of things. If your answer to something, or someone, isn't an immediate "Hell, yes!" then get the hell out.
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    He wanted to get married right away but I didn't. I didn't feel right about it from the beginning and in the past 3 years it just confirmed my thoughts.

I've always said, if someone asks you to marry them and you don't feel comfortable getting married at that very moment, then it's not right for you.It's a shame you waited 3 years to confirm what you already knew, but good for you for making the decision to not go through with the marriage.
    I actually read something recently that has been changing my mindset about a lot of things. If your answer to something, or someone, isn't an immediate "Hell, yes!" then get the hell out.

The problem most people face is that they don't trust their instincts. Our instincts have kept us alive throughout the millenia. They're there for a reason. My first marriage I was apprehensive from day one...it lasted a terrible 6 yrs.

This time around...my husband and I had only physically dated for two months before we got married. We were friends prior to dating. When he asked I said yes and we married 1 week later. It would've been sooner but you have to wait at least 3 days in MD. We remarried a year later with our close family on the beach.

Our instincts never let us down, we just have to trust them.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    You're hot. You'll bounce back.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I should say I'm sorry, or congratulations....sooo....congratusorry!!!

sorrolations!
  • JTPug1980
    JTPug1980 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's better to follow your instinct than carry regret..........trust me
  • TerresaJ
    TerresaJ Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I was married for 26 years and miserable for almost all of it. I finally got brave enough and had the means to support my children and myself. NEVER looking back!!!!
    Glad you recognized that you needed to break things off!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Happy times CONGRATULATIONS!
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    what a dumb turd he is to lose you!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You are so brave.

It's hard to commit that amount of time to a relationship and realize it has to end.

Good luck. I'm sorry and congratulations.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the first step forward looks like a step backward. Kudos to you for making a tough decision with a better future in mind. :drinker:
  • free1220
    free1220 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I agree ,very brave to make that stand,sounds like you dodged a bullet there!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Good for you for following that instinct and knowing it was time to part ways. Fingers are crossed that you're able to maintain that civility for your little one...I've seen how hard that can be! :flowerforyou:
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It is a difficult thing to do...I never intended to hurt anyone but if I'm not happy why prolong things? I feel really bad for our son (he is only 2) but I am a firm believer that you should not stay together just for the children. It's better to be from a broken home then to live in a broken home...just my opinion. So far things are semi-civil...he is hurting and upset but I'm staying strong. It's gonna be tough toward the end of next month because I have a major surgery that will put me down for a couple of weeks but I think that he is willing to step up and take care of the baby during that time. Fingers crossed that he doesn't turn into a DB and become an evil monster. :ohwell:
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Settling is the worst thing you can do.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Settling is the worst thing you can do.

Yes it is...I did it before and I promised myself that I will never do it again. I'm fine with being single...everything happens for a reason.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    According to another thread, since you will be back to dating you should start getting guys sending risque pics, if it hasn't already started.
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. It was better to walk away now than feel trapped later. I'm sure Mr. Right will come into your life at some point.
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    Well...I did it...been engaged almost 3 years...couldn't take it anymore...back to the drawing board for me...staying single forever!

Don't get married just to get married. Enjoy your time with the cats.

catlady.gif

Ahhh .. .. The life of Riley. ????