So you think you know what you are doing? #1

Options
Perhaps it would be worth your while reading this article...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/diet-soda-health_b_2698494.html

Most of what's said in this article concurs with my experience with weightloss and all that i've learnt this year about topics i new nothing about before i started this diet.

The only think i am still not sure on is the link between diet sodas and weight gain because i've read a contradictory argument and haven't really done much research on it, mainly because i distrust artificial sweeteners anyway and having done one experiment some years ago am not drawn to them.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Try reading some actual peer reviewed study to get a broader understanding on the actual science and not relying on the Huffington Post for credible information and a doctor that is out to sell books and diet supplements for a living. Best of Luck
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Try reading some actual peer reviewed study to get a broader understanding on the actual science and not relying on the Huffington Post for credible information and a doctor that is out to sell books and diet supplements for a living. Best of Luck

all of this...

coming from a woman who drinks a diet coke everyday...with a cadbury milk chocolate bar...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Welp. #1 is bull. Assuming #2 will be bull too.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Going on the Huffington Post's idea of science my weightloss should be accredited to the can of Pepsi Max I drink most days and the fact I pick up after my dogs on a daily basis. Obviously these are linked ;-)

What I find funny is the OP doesn't trust diet soda which there is no hard evidence from peer reviewed studies do well anything really but happily drinks wine which the evidence on the damage alcohol does is well over whelming. Not that I'm saying that there is anything wrong with the odd glass of wine. I'm just making the point that people seem to pick and choose what they believe to be harmful to their on convenience
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You lost me at 'food terrorism" and the alleged lack of personal responsibility.

... actually, you lost me at Huffington Post.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    You lost me at if I run for an hour I burn 300 calories. Am I supposed to run a mile in 20 minutes? And my weight is my responsibility, not the government, nor the food industry, or anything else. I put it on, I take it off.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1. Huffington post is not a great place to get any sort of reliable information.
    2. I will agree that this article did actually have a couple points that were getting close to good advice, but unfortunately they were supported with poor/incorrect arguements and the author insisted on throwing around absolutes when in reality there are always more than two options. Where is the citation for this "study"?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it would be worth your while reading this:

Calorie deficit.

FIFY, op. :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    That article is awful.

I gained weight without drinking soda or eating low fat - the two principle things mentioned in that article. It simply was too much (mostly homemade, in my case) food, too little moving.

Blaming it on others is an easy excuse.

BTW, the MGEN study that he cites on the French cohort is interesting research - it is unfortunate that the author chose the WRONG conclusions to highlight.

ttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/diet-soda-health_b_2698494.html

read it.

notice that the 95% confidence intervals show either no increased risk to 2x risk on SSB, etc. And the reported study model was only partially corrected for obesity - model 3 in their report would be more interesting but less sensational.

also, given that fruit juice drinking (with significant sugar levels) actually showed a reduction in risk suggests that these are markers for overall diet choice NOT the actual sugar levels...

furthermore, look at the n data - not to nit pick but... - it's a reported cohort of 66000 but they excluded so many people that their actual cohort of people drinking >603 mL per week is ....34? 34!! What is that? And their table for risk halves the risk from weight gain alone?

In other words - lose the weight, it's more important than soda. A reasonable consumption of artificially sweetened soda (weight corrected model from their data) has a risk profile of 0.77 to 2.01 in 95% confidence interval. In other words, nopenopenope.

.... we could go on. Read the research, not the fluff.

ETA: I'm not pro artificial sweeteners, I hate their taste of sadness and socks. But I hate bad use of research more.
  • KingoftheLilies
    KingoftheLilies Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have genuinely seen the names of two doctors commenting on food issues in the two days I have been on this forum.

they have been Dr. Menzies and Dr. Hyman respectively.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    At least the title of that article saved me the bother of reading it. I've read enough studies to know what a load of crap that is, and I can also conveniently ignore anything Dr. Mark Hyman writes. I'll put him in the Dr. Oz circular file.
  • Kontxesi
    Kontxesi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    "The food industry would have us believe that controlling our weight is about personal responsibility. Tell that to a 200-pound 5-year-old with diabetes and liver failure. "

Wut.

Obviously it's not the 5-year-old's fault. But are you seriously telling me that the child's parents have NO responsibility for what they put on their plate? GTFO. My ex's nephew was 138 lbs when he was 7. He had to wear men's shorts as pants. The food industry didn't make him fat, his mother made him fat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That went well
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    At least the title of that article saved me the bother of reading it. I've read enough studies to know what a load of crap that is, and I can also conveniently ignore anything Dr. Mark Hyman writes. I'll put him in the Dr. Oz circular file.

Wait, you mean I shouldn't listen to a guy who wrote:

"The UltraSimple Diet: Kick-Start Your Metabolism and Safely Lose Up to 10 Pounds in 7 Days"

lol - you can't make this crap up.
    The UltraSimple Diet is the New York Times bestselling weight loss plan for diet detox, based on UltraMetabolism, which exploded the myths of dieting, including “eat less, exercise more.” Dr. Hyman’s accelerated, safe diet plan will help you lose ten pounds in only seven days.

In The UltraSimple Diet, Dr. Hyman reveals his revolutionary accelerated plan which, if properly followed, allows a person to lose ten pounds in just seven days. Many people who thought they were just doomed to be fat, or had “no willpower,” will see that they are actually suffering from inflammation brought on by foods that have a toxic effect on the body. By cutting these toxins out of our diets, we can achieve fast and easy weight loss. Each day of the plan features menus, exercise routines, relaxation and stress reduction exercises, and a few blank pages in order for the reader to keep a journal of his or her progress. Dr. Hyman also discusses the philosophy of maintaining a healthy lifestyle, along with its practical ramifications, i.e. keeping the weight off.

The UltraSimple Diet is based on his New York Times bestselling book, UltraMetabolism, which explores the cutting-edge science of nutrigenomics—the science of how food talks to our genes. Reprogram your body to automatically lose weight by turning on the messages of weight loss and health and turning off the messages of weight gain and disease.

Quackologist.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Is that another one of those articles demonising diet coke and claiming it makes you fat? I'm not going to waste my time by clicking on the link, but I'll just assume it is. Diet coke is my beverage of choice when out in a drinking establishment with friends, it's done me no harm at all over the past few years as I've shredded the vast majority of excess fat that I had on me. I don't drink it excessively, a couple of cans at most usually. Maybe if I drank it more frequently there might be a problem, but I don't and there isn't. As much as the internet 'science' crowd like to believe the food & drink industry is out to get us, everything out there is perfectly fine and fit for human consumption. It's just when silly, lazy people over do it that health problems occur. Making out that diet coke or whatever is somehow poisonous is just a way of covering up a lack of personal responsibility. Of course it could be someone has a condition which means they don't respond well to certain every day items. But that is an unfortunate personal problem, rather than the product itself being evil.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Nope. Please show actual scientific peer reviewed studies before posting this crap on the forums please and thank you.

Also maybe do a search of the forums for this and see how those threads went. We tend to like science when it comes to weight loss.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    LOL Mark Hyman.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I would not consider Mark Hyman to be a reputable source.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/09/08/dr-mark-hyman-mangles-autism-science-on/
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    all that i've learnt this year about topics i new nothing about

mmmmmkay
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do, in fact, think I know what I'm doing. Thanks for asking, OP.
This discussion has been closed.