What is running protocol for dogs?

Options
I am not a fan of dogs...I don't hate them, but I was attacked by a dog when I was very young and I have never been able to get over the fear I have of them. When I run (I always go at night), the sound of a dog barking freaks me out and makes my heart race. Last night, a BIG dog (boxer mix) ran up to me and growled and jumped up at me...a woman ran across the yard calling him and saying "Oh he's fine, he won't hurt you". She grabbed his collar, I started running again, and next thing I knew, dog was right behind me, nipping at my heels. She apologized and held on to him while I left.

Honestly, I wanted to cry. Maybe I'm a baby but I DON'T like dogs. Is there a protocol for encountering a stray dog while you're running? What do you do?

Replies

• yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually start with a very stern "i'm the boss" sounding "GO HOME!", and I do not say it quietly, if it doesn't work the first time I say it a few more times increasing the loudness and firmness, and I don't give a damn if the owner can hear it because they should have their dog on a leash in the yard.

The vast majority of dogs will listen to authoritative commands, so you have to say it like you are in charge of them and they are disobeying their orders by being away from their yard. If you sound scared they won't listen to you.

If the dog is attacking you kick it as hard as you can in the ribs/belly area, and I don't mean just a little bit hard, I mean kick it like you're trying to kill it, you obviously won't kill it but your goal is to hit it once hard enough to make it run away.

I don't hate dogs, but I hate irresponsible dog owners.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with seccond poster. Also, stop running and keep your arms tucked in and up as a lot of dogs will go for your arms first. I hate when people "say oh its fine he/she wont hurt you." Sometimes dogs get loose, but that person sounds like they just didn't have their dog on a leash and were being irresponsible. I never yell "oh it's fine" at people about my dog because they could be like you and afraid of dogs and then it's not fine. The two occasions my oldest dog bolted out the front door of my old house after a person walking another dog I just yell "don't move and don't touch him" and bolt after him.
  • Swaggs51
    Swaggs51 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    < Major dog lover but it comes to a point for your own protection you might have to hit the dog. Not beat the snbot out of him but if said dogs are biting you push to the snout down and away with a loud stern command.

Like it or not it has always worked
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I was just about to post a thread about this....good timing.

I live in a very dog-friendly city. I'm talking dogs in strollers and other such nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but I don't like when they come "say hi" when I'm out for a run or sitting on the beach with my son. If your dog in bounding up to me, I have no idea if it's friendly or not, and it scares me. Stray dogs terrify me. And pit bulls....don't get me started on how much THEY scare me (commence hateful responses now). I guess I'm a baby too :laugh:

So I've started carrying dog spray. Usually one flash of that cannister is enough to get the dog owner to get the dog away from me (and also garners me some glares, but I'm ok with that).

ETA: stray dogs with no owner around, like other posters said, make yourself the boss, stern voice, don't turn your back or back down. Oh and did I mention dog spray? :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of dogs...I don't hate them, but I was attacked by a dog when I was very young and I have never been able to get over the fear I have of them. When I run (I always go at night), the sound of a dog barking freaks me out and makes my heart race. Last night, a BIG dog (boxer mix) ran up to me and growled and jumped up at me...a woman ran across the yard calling him and saying "Oh he's fine, he won't hurt you". She grabbed his collar, I started running again, and next thing I knew, dog was right behind me, nipping at my heels. She apologized and held on to him while I left.

Honestly, I wanted to cry. Maybe I'm a baby but I DON'T like dogs. Is there a protocol for encountering a stray dog while you're running? What do you do?

Look into what the leash laws are in your area and report the owner, if possible. I'm a dog lover but I do not like irresponsible owners.

If I'm being chased (like last night!), I turn around and yell very firmly and loudly, at the dog. Something like "NO" or "STOP", etc. I will also throw a rock at the dog's feet if needed. That's usually enough to get them to leave me alone.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray when I run, walk or bike...I've been chased in the past and live in the country where a lot of people have agressive dogs and a lot of stupid people can't seem to keep their dogs on their own property. I haven't had to use it, but I would not hesitate if threatened..
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    That dog should be on a leash, WTF?

I never ever take my dog out without him having his leash on.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    First...I would yell at the owner to get their dog. I HATE PEOPLE THAT DONT KEEP THEIR ANIMALS UNDER CONTROL!

Second, Stand firm and tell the dog to go home. If it gets close and actually does start to attack, protect your core. That is what I have always been told.

Third, check your leash laws!

I would like to add that I am a dog owner, mine will run to the edge of the yard but will not leave it. She knows better. I have had people try to yell at me for her coming towards them but Sorry...she is still in her yard and second, she wags her tail with her tongue sticking out and a wiggle butt...nothing threatening about her besides her boxer/lab mix size. Some people do overract at a dog approaching the street and I am not saying that is what you are doing because by the sound of things, the dog left its yard.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that I am a dog owner, mine will run to the edge of the yard but will not leave it. She knows better. .
    We used to have a pit bull who did the same thing. I felt bad because there was one particular jogger she hated, but she knew better than to leave the property (I had to apologize to him a few times, because I could totally understand his fear).
    Options
    I would like to add that I am a dog owner, mine will run to the edge of the yard but will not leave it. She knows better. I have had people try to yell at me for her coming towards them but Sorry...she is still in her yard and second, she wags her tail with her tongue sticking out and a wiggle butt...nothing threatening about her besides her boxer/lab mix size. Some people do overract at a dog approaching the street and I am not saying that is what you are doing because by the sound of things, the dog left its yard.
    I'm sorry but this would startle me. If a dog is charging towards me, I'm not taking the time to see if it's tail is wagging. Especially a dog of that size. Believe it or not, some people are just afraid of dogs. Good that your dog doesn't leave the yard, but it would still make my heart jump out of my chest in that few seconds when it runs up to your property line.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but this would startle me. If a dog is charging towards me, I'm not taking the time to see if it's tail is wagging. Especially a dog of that size. Believe it or not, some people are just afraid of dogs. Good that your dog doesn't leave the yard, but it would still make my heart jump out of my chest in that few seconds when it runs up to your property line.

Yes because as an outsider, you have no idea whether the dog is going to stop or not.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    No one has suggested carrying a large stick yet? I mean I guess you probably don't want to be running with a stick (maybe an extra workout for the weight?) but I know some of my dog friends have taken to getting walking sticks when they walk their dogs for the express purpose of defending their dogs against other dogs. Might be another option if you don't mind running around with a large stick.
    Options

Yes because as an outsider, you have no idea whether the dog is going to stop or not.
    Exactly
    Options
    No one has suggested carrying a large stick yet? I mean I guess you probably don't want to be running with a stick (maybe an extra workout for the weight?) but I know some of my dog friends have taken to getting walking sticks when they walk their dogs for the express purpose of defending their dogs against other dogs. Might be another option if you don't mind running around with a large stick.
    When walking, yes, but not really possible/ convenient when running. Maybe a dog whistle? Do those things actually work?
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Oh man! All this talk of kicking dogs makes my heart sink!!! When I was a kid, I was chased down the street by two huge dogs who jumped on me, knocked me down and were standing on me barking in my face. A guy who saw this ran over and got the dogs off of me, I ran crying the rest of the way home, and it was several years before I realized I never even looked back to thank the guy.

For years I was scared of dogs, and whenever I saw one, it was like I was a magnet, they would get all vicious, following me, barking at me...which of course made things worse. Many years later, my darling husband (lol) wanted to get a dog so badly, and I was like, sure...lets get a divorce and you can do whatever you want. lol But he convinced me to come to this Amish farm where they were giving away huskies from a litter. We fought the whole way there, and I was in a panic, I was so mad. When there, one of the pups came right up to me, looked up at me then curled up on my feet. My heart melted and he came home with us.

Then a couple months later, darling husband came home with another dog, a dalmation, who he rescued, when a neighbor said he was going to drop him off on a street somewhere. As far as I was convinced, all dogs were evil except my dog, so I wasn't happy about this, but agreed until we could find him a new home. But he was so sweet we ended up keeping him too.

It helped me become a lot less anxious towards dogs in general, and I realized that even when I was around a strange dog, they no longer freaked out when I was around them. I came to learn that fear releases a chemical that dogs can sense and it happens to be the same chemical released when the intent is to be aggressive. And realized, thats why dogs always hated me, because I would get scared, and they interpreted that as an intent to attack, so they would by instinct make the move to attack first out of self-preservation.

Anyway, I know very well, being able to stay calm and not be scared is impossible, I went though that for many years of my life, I was there, so I know. But maybe, if you have friends with dogs, or able to just be around them in a situation where you feel safe, so that you are not generally scared of them anymore would be helpful. Because I can tell you, my life is *tremendously* easier now that I dont go into a panic when I see a dog. And when they see me, beyond curiosity, as in, just stopping to look at me out of curiosity, they dont pay me any mind at all. There are a lot of dogs along the route I do my walks in my neighborhood, and theyve never paid me any mind at all.

Well, the big dogs dont...little dogs, they freak out. Then again, little dogs freak out over everything LoL But anyway, yeah...if you familiarize yourself with dogs of friends / family and able to find a way to relax around them, then dogs in general will relax around you, and not feel any reason to see you as a threat. Which would be *way* better than kicking dogs up and down the street every time you go for a run.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

But maybe, if you have friends with dogs, or able to just be around them in a situation where you feel safe, so that you are not generally scared of them anymore would be helpful.

I do have a close friend with 4 big shepherds... They're very obedient but I still get uneasy around them (I can't even explain why!) especially when they're near my kids (even though my friend's kids grew up with them). Maybe I just need to relax and spend more time with them. Idk, I'm always afraid I will get bitten if I accidentally piss them off or something.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Don't run from a dog that has approached you. If you do, the dog takes this as fear and if the dog has territorial issues or aggression issues, it will go after you and potentially bite you to warn you off its patch.

Don't stare at a dog when you are running towards it. To a dominant dog that is you taking him on.

I always try to make sure a dog can hear me coming - so I don't run up behind him and scare the crap out of him.
    I don't stare into their face but I keep myself facing them. I talk to them, loudly if I think it is dominant and aggressive and I try to show that I am giving way - ie I'll cross the road or I'll come back to walk.

Recently I was running in the park, coming around a corner and a dog came flying around in the opposite direction - straight past me. I kept running, but the dog doubled back and went for my legs. His owner came around the corner and honestly was very slow to pull his dog off. My fault aswell as the owner. Dog off leash - meant there was probably an owner around. The dog thought as I was running, I was heading to attack its owner. So it came back to defend him. But, the owner should never have let that dog off leash. It obviously was a very protective dog. The dog ripped my sweats but didn't break any skin. Owner just mumbled and kept going. That did give me a fright.

I now try to avoid running up close to dogs. I will cross to the other side of the path / road and if necessary I will slow to walk.

The main thing to do is not show fear or any dominance. That will trigger the dog. Running away is a sign of fear to the dog. He will try to assert his dominance by chasing you away in his mind. Pass by slowly, don't stare into his face and check that he has lost interest before you start running again.

But, all this would be totally unnecessary if people treated and trained their dogs properly. And if they leashed a dog when walking, with any sign, however slight, of dominance or fear issues..

Edited to add: I personally love dogs and own dogs. One is allowed off leash as she is totally submissive, but with no fear or aggression. You approach her, she will sit or lie down. Ignores other dogs until she is sure they want to play only. I trust her - but not the others. Even though they are wonderful, in the wrong situation, I am not 100% sure they wouldn't do the wrong thing. Therefore I don't take any chance..
    Options
    ^^^ uh nope.
    Sorry, but if a dog is bounding towards me and my son (because I often have him in my jogging stroller), momma bear is going to kick the crap out of the pooch/ dog spray it and ask questions later.

It's not my responsibility to "become comfortable around dogs". It's an ANIMAL. It's the owner's responsibility to ensure their dog is properly trained and not terrifying neighbors who are out minding their own business.

ETA: sorry, this was meant for the "don't kick dogs" person but my post ended up a few down
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definitely be commanding with it. Yes, you will feel afraid, but push that out of the way and realize - you can kill that thing if you need to. It's an animal. If it comes between your life and its life, take its life. Internalize that mentality and confront it - tell it to back down, back off and go home in the most authoritative "I will take your tail off and strangle you with it" kind of way. But don't show it fear - show it you mean business if it takes another step towards you. Calmly.

This is coming from someone who has owned a dog and loves dogs with all my heart. They're great - they're not people. They're animals. We must realize this.

Most dogs will recognize when you mean it and will back down or not charge. Some may not. Be prepared for those.

Anyone who owns a dog and thinks they'd never hurt anyone is just lying to themselves. Regardless of how well-trained a dog is, it's still a dog. That isn't a bad thing, nor is it a reflection on its owner (mostly, it is, though), it's simply the nature of those adorable little things. They're huggable, yes. They still have teeth.

When I was really little, my dad and I were out walking in our neighbourhood. These two dogs escaped their fenced in front yard and came bounding down the street at us. My dad was terrified - I was too little to know wtf was going on. But he calmly picked me up, acknowledged the dogs and, when they got close, set to rough-housing with them. Y'know, playing. He kept me protected and far from them, but he spoke loudly and authoritatively, using a playful tone and - as they were big dogs - pushing and rubbing them firmly. They understood he wasn't afraid of them and, after playing with him for a bit, ran back off. Dad was sweating bullets, but he didn't act scared.

As hard as it is, be the "alpha" with them. Push your fear out of mind as best you can and order them around. Rough-house with them. Show them you're stronger than they are and tell them in no uncertain terms to back off and go home. Just keep in mind that dogs respond to tone and body language, not words. If you're frantically screeching at them, that's classified as "excited" and they'll react appropriately. If you're calm, sober and serious, they'll react to that. Stay calm and in control.

Then tell the owner to man the **** up and learn to control their pets, look up your city's bylaws and report them if possible.