What's the biggest food mistake you used to make?

Options
For example: I wouldn't eat all day long then my sister would take me to five guys. I would have a cajun fries and veggie burger (thinking you know, veggies=good) wrong; 1500 calories right there. My entire day's calories in one meal.

Never stepping foot in there ever again.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eating whole wheat pasta and brown rice
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    sugary alcoholic drinks
    too many snacks (I got fat 100 calories at a time, I think)
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I had everything wrong. Huge portions. Unhealthy foods. Reckless use of condiments. Gluttony at its finest.

I can think of multiple times in the past where I went to 2 different fast food places (both because of embarrassment and because who doesn't want to follow up a baconator with a double down?) followed by a trip to the corner store for dessert.

I'm not going as far as never stepping foot in a Wendy's again, but I sure as hell won't be eating the likes of that again.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Trying to replace pasta with vegetables
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    eating 2 giant bowls of Cheerios before bed.

and many margaritas poolside this summer.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    So, so, so much peanut butter.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Eating a whole bag of Doritos. My mom told me never to be a quitter. She also told me to get my fat *kitten* off the couch and mow the lawn. Mixed messages for sure.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    For example: I wouldn't eat all day long then my sister would take me to five guys. I would have a cajun fries and veggie burger (thinking you know, veggies=good) wrong; 1500 calories right there. My entire day's calories in one meal.

Never stepping foot in there ever again.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    OMAD and IF are useful eating methods for many.
    I practice IF not OMAD since I get hungry by noon and then again later in the day.

My biggest mistake: thinking 1200 calories & salads, salads, salads were the way to go.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,835 Member
    Options
    Coffee all day long with tons of cream & sugar! :huh:
  • sydsquidlee
    sydsquidlee Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    DIet Soda. Fake sugar.. so bad for you!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Thinking that the key was just eating less and working out more. On one of my failed attempts to lose weight and get in shape, a lot of days I would get a biscuit for breakfast, and a sandwich and baked chips for lunch. Then save half the sandwich and that would be my dinner. A protein shake made with skim milk was my only snack, after one of my lifting sessions. Yes, one of them. I also thought that more lifting automatically meant more muscles faster. I would go to the gym sometimes twice a day on that tiny amount of food, expecting to build muscles.

Needless to say, that plan didn't work.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    drinking diet coke all day long thinking I was getting/staying hydrated... passed out, hospital said I was dehydrated.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    thinking I needed to deprive myself of all foods that were "bad" and ending up binging on them after a few weeks, instead of having small portions that fit into my calorie goals in order to satisfy my cravings

^ this. 100 times. I think I am finally on the path to a healthy relationship with food. :smile:
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Counting carbs and fat like they were the devil...and having no regard to calories. Then eating as much of whatever I told myself was "healthy".
  • angelamb1970
    angelamb1970 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar, too many refined carbs, too many processed foods, not enough activity.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Simply eating too much.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options

What is wrong with this. I do this almost every Saturday. I restrict my calories that day because I know I am going to be having a calorie dense meal. You just said that you don't eat all day, and then ate your daily calories in one meal. I assume that is your last meal of the day. So what does it matter if you ate your daily calories in one meal or 3 meals that day? You could have eaten 2/3 of your calories and then eaten the burger and fries. I would not call that a mistake. IMO.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Ordering the salad on the restaurant menu when I really wanted the steak. Then, going home and eating everything I touched because I didn't fill the craving.

THEN learning that the steak was the lower calorie option with the better macros when I started counting calories. That one really pissed me off.
  • Vortex_ConQueso
    Options
    Using "low fat" products and not realizing that the slowly digested fat was simply being replaced with quickly digested sugar.

Oh, and eating lots of these:
    Eggless_Chocolate_Cake-1.jpg