So you think you know what you are doing? #1

Options
1235»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What bothers me most about this is not the fact that none of it is backed by scientific proof, which it isn't, but that it's the product not the person. When are we going to learn to give up the next fight against "insert chosen food demon here" and actually just take responsibility for our own health and behaviors? If it's not artificial sweeteners, it's sugar, fat, cholesterol, meat, not meat, not enough water, too much water...yada yada. It's our BEHAVIOR around what we put into our bodies.

It's not the diet coke, it's the ten a day behavior. It's not the cookies, it's the cookies for every meal behavior. We seem to have improperly bought into this societal idea that it's always "something else's" fault. It's not. I don't give a hoot about diet sodas because I don't like them, but if I wanted to drink them I would.

I think there are far greater things to dedicate my time and health to, beginning with my own mind/body/spirit and what that means for me and my responsibility to myself (but that's me, and hey...I'm not you). So, yes, I do think I know what I'm doing. Thanks for asking.

giphy.gif

tumblr_luoxltKH9w1r6aoq4o1_500.gif
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Those studies suggest a corrolation between diet soda and weight gain.

But

Corrolation =/= causation.

Agreed. :)

Doesn't hurt the OP to look at the scientific studies herself. Way better reading than Huffington Post. But again...that's my opinion.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i don't drink soda at all .... if i want a sugary drink i'll drink sweet tea but that's next to never.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading when it said following the calorie in vs calorie out rule was false
  • sarahcakez
    sarahcakez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ... actually, you lost me at Huffington Post.

:laugh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    ETA: I'm not pro artificial sweeteners, I hate their taste of sadness and socks.

LOL this is the truest thing I've ever read on this forum. ^^^

Personally I have read a lot of scientific articles on artificial sweeteners. Several studies (you can look them up on Google scholar) do indicate there is a link between weight gain and drinking diet soda. Other studies say it has little impact. I'd encourage you to look them up and see all the data for yourself in the actual words of scientists. Usually articles in newspapers or online news sites do a poor job of capturing the real results.

For me personally I crave food after drinking diet soda or eating things with artificial sweeteners. I do have hypoglycemia so I may be more sensitive to it than other people. I have lost weight drinking tons of diet mountain dew but I was also constantly hungry.
    I think for some people its an issue (like me) and other people aren't bothered by it.

But

Agreed. :)

Doesn't hurt the OP to look at the scientific studies herself. Way better reading than Huffington Post. But again...that's my opinion.

Oh I thought you were talking to Gene - who you quoted - my bad :embarassed:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    ETA: I'm not pro artificial sweeteners, I hate their taste of sadness and socks.

LOL this is the truest thing I've ever read on this forum. ^^^

Personally I have read a lot of scientific articles on artificial sweeteners. Several studies (you can look them up on Google scholar) do indicate there is a link between weight gain and drinking diet soda. Other studies say it has little impact. I'd encourage you to look them up and see all the data for yourself in the actual words of scientists. Usually articles in newspapers or online news sites do a poor job of capturing the real results.

For me personally I crave food after drinking diet soda or eating things with artificial sweeteners. I do have hypoglycemia so I may be more sensitive to it than other people. I have lost weight drinking tons of diet mountain dew but I was also constantly hungry.
    I think for some people its an issue (like me) and other people aren't bothered by it.

But

autism_organic_foods.jpg

Clearly, autism makes people buy organic food.
  • Jordan
    Jordan Posts: 307 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Best regards,
    Michelle
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.