What's the biggest food mistake you used to make?

Options

Replies

• overzoelous
    overzoelous Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Not meal prepping. When coming off of a 12 hour shift its so much easier to grab something fast when you're starving instead of taking 30 minutes to cook a meal. If I did decide to cook, I would stand in the kitchen and eat chips while my salmon and veggies were cooking!
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    .....CHEESECAKE......

WRONG! It was your fault! Cheesecake was not the mistake! Cheesecake is never the mistake! Blame alien mind control. Lack of self control, or even the government, but NEVER BLAME CHEESECAKE!

The only thing more awesome than cheesecake is Chuck Norris, but that's only because he invented cheesecake.
  • zombie130
    Options
    .....CHEESECAKE......

WRONG! It was your fault! Cheesecake was not the mistake! Cheesecake is never the mistake! Blame alien mind control. Lack of self control, or even the government, but NEVER BLAME CHEESECAKE!

The only thing more awesome than cheesecake is Chuck Norris, but that's only because he invented cheesecake.

hey i didnt say i blamed cheesecake haha
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    buying into the "low-fat" is better fallacy for over 10 years... thinking that eating fat makes you fat...
    and believing the doctor who said I had IBS - for over 10 years... 2 weeks after cutting out gluten from my diet my IBS was cured!!!
    should have asked more questions rather than blindly believing...
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,832 Member
    Options
    No Food, Drinking coffee all day cream & sugar then eating Dinner with the Family!
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What started this was eating more and moving less.

The first eye opener when I started counting calories was seeing that my morning cup of coffee had as many calories as my breakfast...like :noway:
  • The biggest question for me is: What food mistake haven't I made?
  • FemWeight
    Options
    thinking I needed to deprive myself of all foods that were "bad" and ending up binging on them after a few weeks, instead of having small portions that fit into my calorie goals in order to satisfy my cravings

Excatly!
  • thatsleepyguy
    thatsleepyguy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Going too hard on a "diet" by reducing calorie intake to around 800 or fewer a day, then giving up after a week or so because it was just so tough mentally.

I'm so glad I learned that health isn't some sprint you can just do once or twice and never touch again.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My cycle of failure before MFP:

Don't eat carbs
    Now in ketosis
    Crave ice cream
    Eat ice cream
    No longer in ketosis
    FAILURE
    Start over
    Don't eat carbs

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to lose weight, but wasn't counting calories, I used to go to subway and get a 6" tuna and 2 chocolate chip cookies for my side because I thought Subway was always healthy.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Flavored creamer and Ocean Spray cran-raspberry juice. I was drinking waaaaaaaaaay too much of both.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Too much of this.
    A bottle to a bottle and a half a night, every night.

eb8914c7088467f121bf119d27336df4.jpg
  • vicabra
    vicabra Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mine would be portion sizes and just going crazy on weekends (which I still am having difficult with).

This.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Before weight loss - eating too much high calorie foods and not paying attention to the portions

During weight loss - sometimes eating below 1200 calories. I had headaches, hunger pangs, and was moody. I can't even think about eating that little anymore tbh.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Ordering the salad on the restaurant menu when I really wanted the steak. Then, going home and eating everything I touched because I didn't fill the craving.

THEN learning that the steak was the lower calorie option with the better macros when I started counting calories. That one really pissed me off.

This. :angry:
    Yup. So many times this...
  • Funkenstein7
    Options
    A burgizza! Washed down with a bottle of vodka :drinker: :laugh:
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Slippage through snacking. Snacking persistently most of the day was not a problem when the snacks were healthy and somewhat controlled, but the weight piled on slowly and steadily when those healthy snacks became chocolate biscuits/ ice creams/ etc.

Even though they were only small portions at any given time, they all added up, and in my case to about 35lbs over 2 years. Well, that's a little unfair, but in conjunction with my persistent evening and sporadic nighttime munching, it added up steadily.

I think snacking can be good, but for me it can be a little insidious, as with all those 100/ 130 calories here and there, it can be difficult to nail down if you're not eating too much I found.

Thankfully, making the conscious choice not to eat after 8pm each night (unless out with friends/ its a cinema night), seemed to sort out the evening time grazing and the nighttime raids, and will in all likelihood retain that embargo even when I reach my weight loss goal :)
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Not paying attention to portions.
    Eliminating foods, grazing all day, going some days not eating at all.

Now that I log my food and meet my macros I am in control and my diet is balanced.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Portions. Especially portions of cheese.

Also binge eating at night. I'd skip breakfast, have something small for lunch, normal dinner, and then as soon as the kids were in bed I was like cow out to pasture in the kitchen. :embarassed: