MAYO vs PB

Options

Replies

• BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Neither one is good for you, but giving up mayo is pretty easy.

Peanut butter, on the other hand, is so very, very yummy!!

False. Peanut butter soothes the soul.
    AMEN!!!!????
  • RunnerStephe
    Options
    Just curious... why does mayo get such hate on the internet while PB gets all the love? I mean mayo has low sat fats/100g comapared to PB and it has high PUFAs.

Buy PB that is 100% peanuts, and not all the added ingredients. A little a day won't do any harm.
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Well, both can probably fit into your diet if you want to work them in, but here's a basic nutritional breakdown:

Hellman's Real Mayonnaise:
    Per serving (I am pulling this off their website as I don't like mayo and thus have none in the house to look at, and it doesn't say how big a serving is)
    90 calories
    10g fat, of which 1.5g are sat. fat, 6g are polyunsaturated fat, and 2.5g are monounsaturated fat
    5mg cholesterol
    90mg sodium
    0g carbs
    0g protein
    0% of vitamins A and C, calcium, and iron
    Ingredients are soybean oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice, preservatives, and natural flavors. I'm assuming the amounts of sugar and lemon juice are minuscule enough to put the carb and vit. C amounts under the 1%/1g threshold per serving

Trader Joe's Organic Creamy Salted Peanut Butter:
    Per serving (2 tbsp/32g)
    190 calories
    16g fat, of which 2g are sat. fat, 4g are polyunsaturated fat, and 7g are monounsaturated fat
    0mg cholesterol
    60mg sodium
    7g carbs, of which 3g are fiber and 1g is sugar
    8g protein
    0% of vitamins A and C, 2% of daily calcium, 4% iron
    Ingredients are organic peanuts and sea salt

So, for my purposes, peanut butter is better, but I also don't like mayo - and even if I did, it's not like they're interchangeable. If you like mayo it's not gonna kill you, you just need to watch your portions, and the same with peanut butter.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The fact that I can eat PB out of the jar or by the spoonful....never was able to do that with mayo????

Make your own mayo and you might change your mind, no joke.
    LOGIC:

Mayo does no good.

Peanut butter on the other end... It's good for you,keeps you full, and it's natural!!

Mayo is natural, too, especially if you make it yourself.

Ingredients in mine:

Olive oil
    Egg (a whole egg, in fact, so, protein!)
    Dijon mustard
    Vinegar (or lemon juice)
    Salt
    Well PB has good fats. Mayo, not so much, unless it's made with olive oil I guess.

Actually, they're more or less the same fats, especially with the typical store bough peanut butters and mayos. Both generally consist of soybean oil to one degree or another, and the fats in peanuts aren't much different than the ones in soybeans. Even the so-called "olive oil" mayo is still largely soybean oil. So if one has "good fats," so does the other.

The cholesterol and saturated fat in the mayo comes from the eggs, which were vindicated a few decades ago. So if the fats in eggs are okay, so are the ones they contribute to mayo.

That said, after learning how to make my own mayo, I'll never go back to store bought. It actually tastes sweet to me, now, and I prefer the taste of my home made version.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Well, both can probably fit into your diet if you want to work them in, but here's a basic nutritional breakdown:

Per serving (I am pulling this off their website as I don't like mayo and thus have none in the house to look at, and it doesn't say how big a serving is)
    90 calories
    10g fat, of which 1.5g are sat. fat, 6g are polyunsaturated fat, and 2.5g are monounsaturated fat
    5mg cholesterol
    90mg sodium
    0g carbs
    0g protein
    Ingredients are soybean oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice, preservatives, and natural flavors. I'm assuming the amounts of sugar and lemon juice are minuscule enough to put the carb and vit. C amounts under the 1%/1g threshold per serving

Per serving (2 tbsp/32g)
    190 calories
    16g fat, of which 2g are sat. fat, 4g are polyunsaturated fat, and 7g are monounsaturated fat
    0mg cholesterol
    60mg sodium
    8g protein

So, for my purposes, peanut butter is better, but I also don't like mayo - and even if I did, it's not like they're interchangeable. If you like mayo it's not gonna kill you, you just need to watch your portions, and the same with peanut butter.

If you want to compare the two, wouldn't it be best to compare the mayo with "regular" Jif/Skippy/Peter Pan peanut butter? That mayo has a lot more additives than you really need.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Because you can't did apples in mayo and have it taste good? GAG..
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Some like both together

peanut.jpg

That looks more like peanut butter and marshmallow fluff...mmmm....fluffernutter sandwiches.

That's what I thought, but the caption said peanut butter and mayo, and it's on the internet, so, you know... :smile:
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Because you can't did apples in mayo and have it taste good? GAG..

But, by the same logic, I wouldn't care for PB on my roast beef sandwich. ;)
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    it cracks me up how nothing is "good for you"
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options

90 calories
    5mg cholesterol
    90mg sodium
    0g carbs
    0g protein

Per serving (2 tbsp/32g)
    190 calories
    0mg cholesterol
    60mg sodium
    8g protein

If you want to compare the two, wouldn't it be best to compare the mayo with "regular" Jif/Skippy/Peter Pan peanut butter? That mayo has a lot more additives than you really need.

The additives are pretty minimal and wouldn't change the nutrient profile if they were removed - a preservative and natural flavors, the last two ingredients on the list. It doesn't have any stabilizers, thickeners, or coloring agents - it's about as simple as you're going to get on a grocery store shelf. Otherwise, it's not terribly different from home-made mayo - you might use olive oil instead of soybean, and maybe not add any sugar or water (but the sugar doesn't seem to add any significant amount of calories or carbs per serving), but the basics - oil, egg, maybe acid - are the same (and some people use egg yolk only, so there goes your protein).

Also, most people I know who eat mayo have a jar of something basically like that in their kitchen - no one I know has Skippy/Jif/whatever. (Ignore the "organic" part of the peanut butter, it's irrelevant, it's just what I had.) I'm not bringing down any judgement on mayonnaise (besides EW EW EW I HATE IT, but, you know, personal taste).
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I don't care for either because I don't think either's taste is worth its weight in calories.

I usually order sandwiches without mayo to save calories, when I think about it.

I'm not a fan of PBJ sandwiches, so eh never really cared for peanut butter... crunchy or otherwise.

I don't purchase mayo or peanut butter at all.

But jelly [any kind] on the other hand..... I will never give that up.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Both are delicious, and even better when eaten together! My favorite sandwich in the whole world is a pnut butter and mayo sandwich!

Seriously. I grew up on these. :)
  • sino19
    sino19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has more redeeming values as it has lean protein, some vitamins, in addition to healthy fat. But whatever, if you want to spread some mayo on your sandwich, go for it. Just budget in your cals. I personally am not a huge fan of mayo. I wont tell you what white, mushy/creamy reminds me of. Eww. :)

healthy fat? they have 'similar' fat profile.... last sentence:laugh: no, just no
  • sino19
    Options
    Thanx for your 2cents everyone:flowerforyou: . I had quite a couple of good laughs; MFP is full of clowns:laugh:
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    PB does not go well on my turkey sandwich.

Mayo doesn't go with jelly.

It's really that simple.

And yes, PB is considered a healthier fat, and no they do not have similar fat profiles. One is made from oil and eggs and keeps your sandwich bread from drying into croutons in your lunchbox, the other is made from peanuts which has protein and will help fill you up.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    And yes, PB is considered a healthier fat, and no they do not have similar fat profiles. One is made from oil and eggs and keeps your sandwich bread from drying into croutons in your lunchbox, the other is made from peanuts which has protein and will help fill you up.

Just because they serve different purposes and have different tastes and textures, doesn't mean they don't have similar fat profiles.

Here are the percentage breakdowns of the fatty acids in soybean oil (the primary oil found in most store mayo) and peanut oil (the oil in "just peanuts" peanut butter):

Peanut Oil
    Palmitic acid - 6-9
    Stearic acid - 3-6
    Oleic acid - 52-60
    Linolenic (Omega-3) acid - 0
    Linoleic (Omega-6) acid - 13-27

Soybean Oil
    Mysteric - trace-.5
    Palmitic - 7-11
    Stearic - 2-4
    Oleic - 22-34
    Linolenic - 5-11
    Linoleic - 43-56

Source: http://www.chempro.in/fattyacid.htm

As was stated, similar fatty acid (fat) profiles.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Just because they serve different purposes and have different tastes and textures, doesn't mean they don't have similar fat profiles.

Here are the percentage breakdowns of the fatty acids in soybean oil (the primary oil found in most store mayo) and peanut oil (the oil in "just peanuts" peanut butter):

Peanut Oil
    Palmitic acid - 6-9
    Stearic acid - 3-6
    Oleic acid - 52-60
    Linolenic (Omega-3) acid - 0
    Linoleic (Omega-6) acid - 13-27

Soybean Oil
    Mysteric - trace-.5
    Palmitic - 7-11
    Stearic - 2-4
    Oleic - 22-34
    Linolenic - 5-11
    Linoleic - 43-56

Source: http://www.chempro.in/fattyacid.htm

As was stated, similar fatty acid (fat) profiles.

1) That's for the oils, not the actual products themselves. Big difference. Yes, peanut oil is derived from peanuts, but it's not going to have the same numbers because typically peanut oil is also highly refined.

2) You're making an assumption that all mayo is made of soybean oil, which it's not. Also that does not take into account the egg yolk in it either, which will also change the numbers you state.

Please look up both items as stated, not just the oils, and link those numbers.
  • sdelo7
    sdelo7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like both, but I will use a lot less mayo in a sandwich than I would peanut butter. I think both are ok in moderation.

Now, making your own mayo - or even better aioli (garlic mayo) - that is sooo good!!
  • sino19
    Options

by similar fat profile I meant when you look at the nutritional info at the back of pb/mayo. it is the same, infact mayo has better ones (PUFAs are healthier than Sat fats, right?
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Both are delicious, and even better when eaten together! My favorite sandwich in the whole world is a pnut butter and mayo sandwich!

Seriously. I grew up on these. :)

Glad to know that I am not the only one that like them together...also grew up eating PB and mayo sandwiches.

Still have one every once in a while. :smile: